GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mk8 Orders

Gouldy

Production at VW’s Wolfsburg factory - where the Golf is built - has been running behind schedule for some time now as VW play catch-up to clear the large backlog of o/s orders. If your confirmed build week was week 22, it sounds as if production is still running a few weeks behind. The last I read - I think it was on this forum a few weeks ago - was that production was running around 4 weeks behind schedule.; if that’s still the case, then assuming that build weeks align with calendar weeks, we’re currently in wk25, which would mean your car would be built next week.

With Seat, it seems the build status system doesn’t always show the correct status. Some customers who understood their cars haven’t yet been built have subsequently been informed by their dealer that their car has been built and is actually in the UK. So if VW aren’t very good at updating their system, it could be that your car may have actually been built and is somewhere in transit between the Wolfsburg factory and your dealership. If it has been built, my guess would be it might be caught up in the backlog of cars at Emden waiting to be shipped to the UK - see article at the link below.

https://cardealermagazine.co.uk/pub...cars-stuck-in-huge-german-port-backlog/282757
Thanks and I hope you are right about it getting built next week!

Will be a year from order come wk26.... Though not as long as some others here!

Kops

Just some updates and more organized info:

Order made in July 21

ETA was 5 months.

Setember of 22 - ETA week 17 (Late April of 2023)

March of 23 - ETA week 36 (Setember of 2023)

May of 23 - ETA week 28 (July of 2023)

June of 23 - Confirmed Production week 28

Charger21

It's hardly surprising that a Golf 8 isn't a very common sight on the road. See plenty 7 and 7.5s going about but 8s don't seem to be common at all. Obviously because they are still waiting to be built.

Other than pestering my dealer about my order is there anywhere online to keep tracks of my order?

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
It's hardly surprising that a Golf 8 isn't a very common sight on the road. See plenty 7 and 7.5s going about but 8s don't seem to be common at all. Obviously because they are still waiting to be built.

Other than pestering my dealer about my order is there anywhere online to keep tracks of my order?
Many current models of VW and other manufacturers are an uncommon sight on the UK’s roads, so it’s not just the Golf. Pretty much all car manufacturers have been affected by issues outside their direct control over the last 2-3 years (e.g. Covid, supplier chain issues, semiconductor shortages, Ukraine situation) that have impacted their ability to build cars. However, IMHO in a situation where there are delays, customer communication and keeping the customer informed is key, and some car manufacturers are better than others at communicating with their customers to keep them updated and manage their expectations - something that VW don’t seem to be good at.

As far as I know, VW UK no longer have an online order / build tracker. There used to be one (there was back in 2020 when I bought my current car), but I think because of the issues listed above, the tracker information was either not being updated or it was unreliable, resulting in frustrated customers who were venting their frustration on the VW Customer Services team, and VW closed the tracker down. .

Even when there was a tracker, it was often inaccurate and slow to update, so it’s usefulness was questionable. There were many instances 2020 and earlier reported on various forums where customers had actually taken delivery of their cars but the tracker was 2-3 stages behind (e.g. indicating that the car had been built and left the factory or was in transit from the factory).

Last edited:

DenverPete

Discovered and been following this page for 2 months now but only posted today. (problem with email confirmation)

I ordered a GTE in mid July 21

without much equipament. Almost the basic version.

and still don´t have a confirmed date.

Was thinking the car was never gona arrive until i saw that i was not the only one. That made me feel a bit better.

I only ask my salesman near the provisional built date he said.

He gave me a provisional built date of week 17 of 2023 on Setember of 2022

Still, 20 months waiting is too much time.
At long last my GTE is at the dealership and after a few additional extras to be completed by them, I am hope that by the next week end it will be ready for collection. If this happens it will be 10 days short of a waiting time of TWO YEARS. Woopeee!!!

MikeMK8

Ready to race!
Just spoke with my dealership. After a long 17 months my Style 1.5etsi is to be delivered to me tomorrow! o_O

Kops

At long last my GTE is at the dealership and after a few additional extras to be completed by them, I am hope that by the next week end it will be ready for collection. If this happens it will be 10 days short of a waiting time of TWO YEARS. Woopeee!!!

Finally they are delivering the late late orders.

If all goes well, mine will arrive in August or if there is problems wth the transport in Setember.

Was only 25-26 months waiting...

I can make 2 kids in that time.

DenverPete

Finally they are delivering the late late orders.

If all goes well, mine will arrive in August or if there is problems wth the transport in Setember.

Was only 25-26 months waiting...

I can make 2 kids in that time.
I think I'd stick with the car it is definitely the cheaper option!!

rhys15

Just had a call from the dealer with some good news. My GTD with a few extras ordered early January 2022 has now been built and left the factory. Should be with the dealer next month. A long 19 months since ordering but not as bad as some other cars on here.

gjm

Passed Driver's Ed
Just had a call from the dealer with some good news. My GTD with a few extras ordered early January 2022 has now been built and left the factory. Should be with the dealer next month. A long 19 months since ordering but not as bad as some other cars on here.
Good news, just for information, mine took a month to get from leaving the factory (Beginning of May) to actually being released for shipping at the port in Germany, and then another 2 weeks to arrive in the UK (notified it was in the UK Mid-June), and then the delay getting it from the port to Dealership. Although I think this is improving all the time.

You'll also have a rare car, as I noticed that the GTD has been removed from the VW Configurator over the past week. Not sure if it's a temporary removal as they clear the backlog in preparation for the Mk8.5, or something more permanent? I also noticed that all references to long lead times, etc. have also been removed. Are things getting back to normal at VW! :)

rhys15

Good news, just for information, mine took a month to get from leaving the factory (Beginning of May) to actually being released for shipping at the port in Germany, and then another 2 weeks to arrive in the UK (notified it was in the UK Mid-June), and then the delay getting it from the port to Dealership. Although I think this is improving all the time.

You'll also have a rare car, as I noticed that the GTD has been removed from the VW Configurator over the past week. Not sure if it's a temporary removal as they clear the backlog in preparation for the Mk8.5, or something more permanent? I also noticed that all references to long lead times, etc. have also been removed. Are things getting back to normal at VW! :)
Thanks for the info. Not sure if there will be an 8.5 GTD with car manufacturers now heading away from diesel, but time will tell! Hopefully I’ll see the car sometime next month!

JuliaPad

So back in June I posted that I finally after 18 months had a confirmed build date for my GTD of the week commencing 3rd July. So imagine my shock when I got a txt this Tuesday 11th of July to advise me my car was not only built but actually in the UK. Seems like VW are getting there act together as they are now advertising the new Golf GTD is open for orders!