GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Motor Trend COTY 2012 Passat

djax1

Ready to race!
Three words:
DULL DULL DULL.

What a fail attempt to emulating some Audi design on the rear...and what has this world come to? We're the only people driving the same VW cars as those communist Chinese. WTF!

Wait, what's wrong with driving what "those communist Chinese" drive? And sort of a tangent, but China may be communist on paper, but their economy and wealth distribution is as capitalist as American Pie. Just sayin'.

danielj1

Go Kart Champion
Chinese love to drive what America drives. Camry's and all Buicks are wildly popular there, in addition to various VW models. Makes sense to give them a US version of the Passat.

tmiw

Go Kart Champion
A Passat with a more powerful TDI motor would be awesome. The 140HP one they've been sticking in the other TDI cars doesn't seem powerful enough for a car as big as the Passat, IMO.

danielj1

Go Kart Champion
A Passat with a more powerful TDI motor would be awesome. The 140HP one they've been sticking in the other TDI cars doesn't seem powerful enough for a car as big as the Passat, IMO.

I agree. While it is a torque monster, it needs more HP. The new Passat is light (significantly lighter than an Accord) you think about 140HP in a sedan that is likely to have passengers and mentally, it adds up to being a dog.

mayham85

Passed Driver's Ed

in europe we have 1.6 tdi 105 hp passat with 6 speed manuel bluemotion :D :D actually it feels enough.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
I agree. While it is a torque monster, it needs more HP. The new Passat is light (significantly lighter than an Accord) you think about 140HP in a sedan that is likely to have passengers and mentally, it adds up to being a dog.

New passat is about 300-400lbs heavier than my golf. Which is borderline anemic. I can't imagine being happy with a car that SLOW.:eek:

Rockchops

Go Kart Champion
New passat is about 300-400lbs heavier than my golf. Which is borderline anemic. I can't imagine being happy with a car that SLOW.:eek:

lol you guys should drive an old diesel Mercedes sometime, its not too bad once you get used to it.

VW Steve

Ready to race!
From what I understand, the Passat is more refined, more of a driver's car, and more Teutonic than the Jetta is. VW seems to have hit the sweet spot (for lack of a better expression) with this mix of German engineering and American style. If I couldn't own a Golf (thankfully, I do own one!) and had to choose between these two cars, I'd take the Passat over the Jetta.

Last edited: