GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MPG for GTI and R - MK8

bucknutVW

Ready to race!
So I got a 2015 GTI Manual and am contemplating in buying a Golf R probably a manual again. I was gonna get the GTI but thought, I cant have two GTI's in the garage so I think I have to get an R. I drove one and it was OK, hard to tell with the guy nect to me for ten minutes of city driving. One thing I like with my GTi is the 30 to 33 MPG I get on average. I saw you can use regular gas now so thats a big price differnce between the two. Im not sure if I want to give up the MPG for the improved performance. Im hoping to average about 28 to 30 with the R. What kind of MPG does everyone get here?

Maturedriver

Go Kart Champion
Sadly nowadays performance cars are about as much use as a chocolate teapot. I currently have a surprisingly quick GTE which is very economical but I rarely get the opportunity to give it the beans 😢.

Drewalk

22 Golf R manual transmission 120 miles per day round trip to work. Some spirited moments. About 30-32 summer and 28-29 in the winter.

bentin

Autocross Champion
23R manual 3,500 miles. I get 20-21 in town. I do get 33-35 on the highway though, but only have a few trips so far.

It replaced a Mk7.5 GTI that generally got 25-26 in town and 36-38 hwy. Worth noting that GTI gearing is a lot taller than R gearing too.

bucknutVW

Ready to race!
Thats pretty good. Do you just use the OEM tires. I picked up my Golf R last week. Mine came with the Bridgstone Summer tires, I get about 28 on the hwy. The car drives pretty good, def faster, def handles better, the steering maybe more vague IDK, the gearing is totally different my GTI. The throttle I think is more sensitive compared to the MK7 GTI and I think the turbo comes on much lower.
Does the car feel heavy to you? I think I just gotta get used to it more. But yeah I like it so.