GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

My Blown Turbo Story

MobbinGTI

Passed Driver's Ed
My (no longer) VW brothers and sisters. The past few days have not been very fun for me as far as automobiles and finances go. I'm going to try to make my story somewhat short, and if you guys have comments and questions or a good old "that's what you get for blah blah blah" (or maybe some empathy ☹️), go for it.

Before I start, I understood the risks I took in modifying my GTI. That said, this still sucks, and still surprised the hell out of me.

I bought my 2016 GTI S with DSG last September. Between then and D-Day, I added several common performance pieces. Downpipe and exhaust, intake, GFB diverter valve, and most recently a stage 2 91 octane tune from Eurodyne. I'm leaving out all the cosmetic add-ons that couldn't be related to the following incident, but yes I put quite a few $ and hours into turning my VW into something I really enjoyed driving.

I drove my GTI from my current home, Ames, IA, to Granby Colorado for a family vacation last week. This car has always been an awesomely comfortable roadtripper, even with BC coilovers in place, and the mountain roads were so much fun with this thing.

The second to last day of our trip, I was in town and took off hard from a stoplight. I heard a sort of pop while pulling in second gear, the EPC light came on, and power was pretty much gone. I coasted into the closest parking lot to check things out. I turned the car off, inspected the engine bay, didn't see anything, and started the car again. The thing was smoking like crazy from the exhaust, so I turned it off and called VW roadside.

It was towed to Denver where the VW dealer checked it out the next day. Blown turbo. Not covered under warranty because of the modifications. They said $4k-$5k in parts and labor, and since it was Saturday, it wouldn't be ready until the middle of the next week (this current week).

I made a decision that day to have them give me a trade in value on my car, and I left that same day in a preowned manual 2017 Subaru Crosstrek for obviously more than the repair would have cost me, but I think I was just unhappy with VWs at that point, stressed from the past couple of days, and just wanted to go home.

Another reason for my choice was that I was always tempted to take the next step with my GTI. It's really kind of been an addiction since I've had it. "What should I do next?" and so on. Believe me, I loved the GTI since day one and loved modifying it too, but it kept taking my money even when it was working just fine. I went for a Crosstrek to step out of the modified game for awhile. Maybe until I complete this degree.

Anyway. That's it. I miss the thing like crazy. The Crosstrek is slower than my mom's Prius and I feel like I need to stop wearing Vans now and get a pair of Birkenstock sandals.

Oh well. Life goes on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dlau9

Go Kart Champion
Man that really sucks. I hope things work out for you!

I was just wondering if you had an aftermarket IC and if you know how much boost the tune was pushing out at the time? Also, do you know at what RPM did you hear the pop?

Just collecting some data here. Assuming you had the latest L revision Turbo also.

cbaumy34

Go Kart Champion
Wow no fun sir. Good luck with the degree and hope to see you back in a vw one day.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

MobbinGTI

Passed Driver's Ed
Man that really sucks. I hope things work out for you!

I was just wondering if you had an aftermarket IC and if you know how much boost the tune was pushing out at the time? Also, do you know at what RPM did you hear the pop?

Just collecting some data here. Assuming you had the latest L revision Turbo also.

Thanks man.

No intercooler. Temp was around 70 at the time and I had been driving for about 10 minutes.

My Prosport Evo gauge always hit 25 pretty steadily after the tune, but I can't remember what the 91 high torque from Eurodyne is said to push precisely. RPMs were around 5k I believe when she blew.

I was at about 8000 ft. for altitude, which definitely could have made a difference. But damn, I just wasn't expecting this to happen in a car less than a year old. I know people run Eurodyne all the time. I'm going to talk to them eventually. Not to complain at all because it's definitely not their fault, but just to make them aware of what happened. Maybe VW just put a crap turbo in mine lol.

gdfraser

Ready to race!
Holy crap. How much money did you lose in that deal? I hope the TD1 is disclosed to the next owner after VW puts a new turbo in and sells it as a CPO...

dlau9

Go Kart Champion
Thanks man.

No intercooler. Temp was around 70 at the time and I had been driving for about 10 minutes.

My Prosport Evo gauge always hit 25 pretty steadily after the tune, but I can't remember what the 91 high torque from Eurodyne is said to push precisely. RPMs were around 5k I believe when she blew.

I was at about 8000 ft. for altitude, which definitely could have made a difference. But damn, I just wasn't expecting this to happen in a car less than a year old. I know people run Eurodyne all the time. I'm going to talk to them eventually. Not to complain at all because it's definitely not their fault, but just to make them aware of what happened. Maybe VW just put a crap turbo in mine lol.

From my understanding elevation plays a huge role in many blown turbos. As to be able to push the requested PSI the turbo has to work much harder. I dont know too much about these things, but IMO I think 25PSI at high elevation on 91 might be a bit much, but that's just my ignorant assumption.

The fact that the turbo gave around 5K means it didnt go during peak boost but during taper. I would kill to know what the turbine speed at the time the turbo went. I wonder if it was spinning at crazy speeds.

Sorry, but do you know if it was the L revision you had?

I wonder how ED factors in high altitudes into their tune, might be worth chatting about.

I to hope to see you back with a VW.

If you ever decide to get back into the modding and tuning game, might be worth getting a custom tune for high elevation if you go to those areas on a regular basis.

Good luck sir with your degree!

Last edited:

MobbinGTI

Passed Driver's Ed
Holy crap. How much money did you lose in that deal? I hope the TD1 is disclosed to the next owner after VW puts a new turbo in and sells it as a CPO...

Well they valued it at $13k, which I understand with all the aftermarket bits they can't use. I got out the door in $10k. Yes that's sounds pretty awful, but the Subaru had 1600 miles on it so barely "preowned". It was not a fun day.

Also, explain to me what TD1 is please sir. I actually was kind of interested as to what exactly they'll do with the car after replacing the turbo, but was too exhausted from all the dealership crap to really care at that point.

MobbinGTI

Passed Driver's Ed
From my understanding elevation plays a huge role in many blown turbos. As to be able to push the requested PSI the turbo has to work much harder. I dont know too much about these things, but IMO I think 25PSI at high elevation on 91 might be a bit much, but that's just my ignorant assumption.

The fact that the turbo gave around 5K means it didnt go during peak boost but during taper. I would kill to know what the turbine speed at the time the turbo went. I wonder if it was spinning at crazy speeds.

Sorry, but do you know if it was the L revision you had?

I wonder how ED factors in high altitudes into their tune, might be worth chatting about.

I to hope to see you back with a VW.

If you ever decide to get back into the modding and tuning game, might be worth getting a custom tune for high elevation if you go to those areas on a regular basis.

Good luck sir with your degree!

Sorry man I really don't know what turbo was on it. I assumed it was a late model 2016 because the 2017 had been out for awhile.

And yeah, I feel silly for not being more careful at altitude. I don't think you're being ignorant at all, because I'm the one with the blown turbo and should have considered the variables haha. I think I'm used to beating the crap out of NA Hondas, and kind of ignored how much boost I was running on a stock turbo.

Live and learn right? Separate tunes for elevation will definitely be a priority next time I'm dealing with a tuned turbocharged vehicle.

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Once you get that degree, and have some liquid cash, go JB4 next time bud :) sorry to hear this tho, thats devastatinf

Last edited:

psychonosspaz

Go Kart Champion
5k for an IS20? Don't they go for like 500 almost new? What am I missing here?

AtlantaDad

Drag Race Newbie
Even brand spanking new the is20 is only $1300. So replacing a turbo is $2700-3700 in labor? Ouch. Would've been time for an is38. Sorry OP. Good luck on your next adventure, and come back to the dark side soon!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

psychonosspaz

Go Kart Champion
My guy quoted me like 400 labor for IS38 install.....they are raping people....what dealership is this?

bdlPNW

Passed Driver's Ed
Sorry to hear that but dam I would've given you 16 for a 1 yr old gti with blown turbo

MobbinGTI

Passed Driver's Ed
Yeahhh I know it was wayyyy over quoted. I was in a rock and a hard place, and they knew it. I was out of state, had my car towed to a dealership, and was dropped off by family on their way through Denver because they had to get home. My options were limited.

IS38 was my first thought when this happened haha. But yeah, what could I really do when the thing was sitting there at the dealership undriveable. What's done is done I suppose.

And it was Larry H. Miller VW in Denver. Honestly the sales people and finance guy were pretty nice to work with. I think the mechanics didn't want to deal with my aftermarket crap.