GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

My Golf R journey begins

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
So I took car to AU Tuning and I was hoping to get it back before Christmas. They close for the Christmas holiday and open back up again in January. Hoping the downpipe/cat would come in before the weekend. However now it doesn't matter, Covid finally caught up with me tonight, managed to avoid it until now. Anyway have a Merry Christmas everybody.

Blaznjoe

Drag Race Newbie
Bummer about the CAT delay but your R will be back in action next month :cool: Sucks that you Covid but hope you're able to recoup fast and still have a Merry Christmas! 🍻

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Bummer about the CAT delay but your R will be back in action next month :cool: Sucks that you Covid but hope you're able to recoup fast and still have a Merry Christmas! 🍻
Thanks. Have a great Christmas!!!

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Well it’s the day before Christmas. Bad part = day 3 of Covid so I have stay in isolation at least 2 more days. The lucky part is I am sitting on my patio and it is sunny and warm out with just a whisper of a breeze (74 degrees). My sons live in Atlanta and New Jersey I feel bad for them. Merry Christmas everyone.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Anyway back to the R. I decided to also have AUTuning install a Dieselgeek shifter and their new add-on weights that do much the same as adding a weighted shift knob. So a review of the shifter and its new (for 2022+ versions of the shifter) sometime in January after I drive it a bit.

Derlicious

Anyway back to the R. I decided to also have AUTuning install a Dieselgeek shifter and their new add-on weights that do much the same as adding a weighted shift knob. So a review of the shifter and its new (for 2022+ versions of the shifter) sometime in January after I drive it a bit.
Look forward to hearing about this.
I have a OEM Audi S3 shifter (Same as MK6R) with 42DD shift bushings currently on my GTI, feels great but it gets a little iffy on the engagement when it's really hot after hard driving.

Thanks for all your reviews and content, always well written with real unbiased information.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Well I picked up the Golf R from AUTuning - 2850.00 later, but I didn't have to lift a finger.

New OEM downpipe/cat. Fuel filter, Stainles brake lines and fresh fluid, DieselGeek shifter and an alignment... oh and had the APR tune put in my n

I drove car back home 25 miles and to grocery store and back.

So the car now runs better than when I purchased it which means the CAT was coming apart 3000 miles ago.

DieselGeek shifter with weight kit - This is a big improvement over OEM. The shifter is smooth, positive, gears are very easy to find as is neutral. The throw is reduced significantly and you notice it on your first 1-2 shift. I expected the shifter to be notchy and it is actually pretty smooth with just the right amount of feedback to let you know you are in the gear you want. I don't know what the shifter would feel like without the Weight Kit but I can easily recommend this setup to those who want to really upgrade their shifter. I believe this is how it should have come from the factory. Although I have not taken it up in the twisties I can tell this is going to be a lot more fun.

After I drive it more I will do a follow up on the shifter but first impression..... I am impressed.

I have to give a shout out to everyone about AUTuning in Placentia CA. I was absolutely thrilled with the level of customer service and professional service. As an example. I did not take my car in for any kind of suspension rattle but during a test drive the mechanic noticed and chased down the issue and fixed it without me ever asking. Really over the top service. I mention this because I had taken it to another indy shop in Huntington Beach and asked them to try and find the issue. They told me they heard it but just shrugged their shoulders. So if you are looking for good service, good technical work, go to AUTuning.

Last edited:

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
The paint on Audi/VWs since about 2000 has been very nice and very deep. My R is at 119K miles for almost all of its life it was a commuter car in L.A. and parked outside at work. I have been doing little things to it, decided to get out the Porter Cable buffer and give it a quick polish this weekend. They just respond so well to just a little bit of detail work, not much effort at all.

Also, since I got a brand new OEM downpipe/cats installed car is running much stronger than when I initially purchased it. When the cat failed (internals of cat came apart and was blocking exhaust) car would run but not boost. It was probably starting to fail when I bought it in 2021.

Last edited:

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Noticed that a 92k mi APR stage 1.5 car had a winning bid of 14.5K on Bring a Trailer. Yikes, not much love for a well cared for (with receipts) R20. I don’t think the general car world has discovered this sports car hatchback yet and it’s special nature and it’s rather limited production.

Last edited:

KollinWithaK

Autocross Champion
Noticed that a 92k mi APR stage 1.5 car had a winning bid of 14.5K on Bring a Trailer. Yikes, not much love for a well cared for (with receipts) R20. I don’t think the general car world has discovered this sports car hatchback yet and it’s special nature and it’s rather limited production.

It depends, I did see that listing and it wasn't the cleanest example to roll through. A lot of corrosion underneath, 4 door and not a rare color among the other options available, and body rust on the hatch.

I've seen other recent clean examples sell for somewhere in the low 20s. While not crazy, there is a decent range of value in these cars. I'm also keeping an eye on a high mileage Mk6 Golf R (180k) miles that is sitting for sale at a flat 10k on FB marketplace.

Just a wide spectrum I think.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
G
It depends, I did see that listing and it wasn't the cleanest example to roll through. A lot of corrosion underneath, 4 door and not a rare color among the other options available, and body rust on the hatch.

I've seen other recent clean examples sell for somewhere in the low 20s. While not crazy, there is a decent range of value in these cars. I'm also keeping an eye on a high mileage Mk6 Golf R (180k) miles that is sitting for sale at a flat 10k on FB marketplace.

Just a wide spectrum I think.
Guess you are right.

Thumper

Autocross Champion

It's been a while and car market has changed but I bought my Stg3 2012 R with 51k miles on it back in 2020.........for $18,300. at the time IIRC NADA was showing $19k book value for a stock car and this one had a full page of mods in addition to the Stg3.

This car is definitely an enthusiasts only car and I feel like a lot of enthusiasts have moved on to the newer "faster" generations. Afterall, these cars are 10 years and 2 generations old, they are now "collectors".

And you will pry mine from my cold dead fingers. I drive the TTRS and it is a blast, the immense power and smooth delivery coupled with the handling is just a blast. But when I drive the R, even just commuting to work, I have a near constant smile ear to ear just cruising. She's so special. Heck I thought about trading the TTRS for an RS6 and though opted against it I have never once thought about getting rid of the R.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Follow up on the VWR Racingline suspension - I still really like it. It is a good bit stiffer than stock. I notice the stiffness most when I run into a lousy piece of road with a lot of patches and sharp undulations. It is not noisy but you do get a fair amount of feedback from the road when that happens. Otherwise it is a very well mannered suspension setup for someone who wants a more sporty feel but still has to use the car for daily commuting. I have an 034 rear sway and with that and the VWR suspension (still on my Continental A/S tires) the car handles very well. I would still recommend this as a great low end solution. Rides nice, handles even better than it rides.

I got the car with the A/S tires and they had lots of tread. I was really hoping they would wear much faster so I could put some extreme summer tires on sooner.
I think I am going to upgrade the HPFP and move from APR 1 to the 1+ tune for just a bit more top end. Then sticky tires. I also have the race haldex box. Looking forward to see how much the tires and tune improve things. It should be a significant improvement.