GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

My Golf R journey begins

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Wheels are at the Wheel Shop for a full restoration to like new. Now to get to work on brakes and suspension.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Got distracted doing other things but I did manage to get driver side coilover off. Really would have been a much tougher job without my cheap-o Ridgid 3/8" impact driver. I don't have air tools any more so this little thing has been really great. It has been powerful enough to break loose wheel lugs, The big M-21mm bolt that holds the bottom of the Coilover and the six M-10 bolts that hold the axle to the trans. It is a real workhorse for the money. I got a 1/4in impact, 3/8 impact and a 3/8 in drill for 199 last year. It is 229 this year, comes with carrying bag, charger and 2 batteries. Only 2amp batteries but they last surprisingly long.

MRRiley

Nice to see you hitting it hard! The MkV is getting a check up this week so before too long I have to get a thread continuation started. Odd, after many, many years of "forum-ing" it will be my only build page effort. Nerves......

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Nice to see you hitting it hard! The MkV is getting a check up this week so before too long I have to get a thread continuation started. Odd, after many, many years of "forum-ing" it will be my only build page effort. Nerves......
I hope the project goes well and look forward to some video of you having fun in it. Keep me updated, and thanks again for taking it on. I so did not want to part it out.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Got the rest of the coilover set off and will deliver to ShaftworksUSA in Walnut CA for revalving. Again, impact driver made light work of it.
Delivered to ShaftworksUSA in Walnut CA on 11-4-2021

Last edited:

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Going to work on the look of the brake calipers today. I am going to clean them up. I have all the primer, paint, clear and decals but so far it looks like I can just clean up the caked on brake dust (probably never cleaned) and they will look fine. I will have to paint the spring clips up front before I put on new decals and then clear them.

So I will put them back together with the Tyrolsport sliders, new Hawk HPS 5.0 pads.
Rears will get cleaned up and also get the new Hawk HPS 5.0 pads.

Pic as they look now before any work

Last edited:

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Today (Sat 11/7) I had a little time so I finished the rear brakes up. Installed the new Hawk HPS 5.0 pads. Will do the fronts tomorrow which will include cleaning, polish/wax, new pads, Tyrol stiffeners.

Wheels will be done in a few days. Unfortunately I can't put it all together until the coilovers/shocks come back which will be a couple of weeks.

Soo, while up on stands, the stereo and rear view camera will start late next week.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Picked up my wheels today. Cost to restore them to factory new is 175 a wheel, had all 4 done of course.
Wheel Shop in Riverside CA. Nice work. Here is a picture of the worst and a pic of the resorted.
Takes a few days, but it includes just driving the car in and picking it up a few days later. They do all the dismount, remount and rebalance for that price.

The refinished wheels look better than you can see in a photo. They are a little more bright silver than OEM, look great.

Last edited:

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
My factory match touch up kit pens came on today. They contain primer, paint and clear. I just had eye surgery about an hour ago so I will be taking a few days off from any labor.

Last edited:

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Finished up the front spring clips, a little paint and some decals and they look like new. Used VHT high temp primer, paint and clear. Hopefully they will hold up if I keep them clean. Not great but good enough, still recovering so I only have one good eye so no comments on decal positioning. It will look fine.

Before

After

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Is a Haldex Controller worth it
In keeping with my no mod policy I am considering a Haldex controller to further improve cornering by increasing power bias to the rear more. Any comments on the Haldex controller and whether you feel it is a good mod or not are welcome.

KollinWithaK

Autocross Champion
Is a Haldex Controller worth it
In keeping with my no mod policy I am considering a Haldex controller to further improve cornering by increasing power bias to the rear more. Any comments on the Haldex controller and whether you feel it is a good mod or not are welcome.
Every person I hear that buys one all say it should've been the first thing they bought. @SoWalGTI just picked one up for his wagon from a company overseas and seems to be enjoying it.

Definitely on my list of things to pick up for my R.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Every person I hear that buys one all say it should've been the first thing they bought. @SoWalGTI just picked one up for his wagon from a company overseas and seems to be enjoying it.

Thanks for the feedback, just what I wanted to hear.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic

Just picked up a used race only Haldex controller.