GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

My Mk6 is dead... Be sad with me.

NoCaution

SofaKingEuro.com
Soooo... The past week has been a bit of a roller coaster. Fair warning that this may get a bit long-winded, but I need to vent, and this seems like the place to do it.

I bought a new Mk6 GTI in 2010. It was my second GTI after wrecking my 08' Mk5. I LOVE these cars, and my Mk6 has mostly treated me quite well. It's had a few hiccups, but nothing too tragic. I think I took pretty damn good care of it; I changed the oil twice as often as recommended and got all services done through VW. I was even picky about gas to the point where I would only get Shell V-Power. The only thing you might consider a collision was some curb rash on the wheels, and although I did have a stage-1 tune, I was actually pretty gentle with how I drove it. That being said, it's almost at 140k miles and a bit overdue for a new clutch, so I've been looking to move on to the new Mk8.

I moved to the Bay Area last August and was hoping that I'd be able to snag a new car when they came out at the end of the year. Obviously, that's been really tough. I visited a local dealer and was told that it would take 6-8 months to order one special and that they didn't have any more due to arrive for at least 4-6 months. I started stalking cars.com and figured out pretty quickly that the exact model I want is in EXTREMELY short supply. Still, I'm willing to travel, so I thought as soon as one pops up, I'd just buy it remotely. A couple of weeks ago, the exact car I want showed up at a dealer in Colorado. I called, and despite being still "in-transit", it was already sold. A few days later, a good one showed up in SoCal. I called them and it was available! Then they told me that there were nearly 8 grand in "dealer markups", so I told them to kick rocks. I'm willing to pay MSRP, and even willing to pay for added extras, but it will be a cold day in hell before I pay 50k OTD for a GTI.

Then came last Friday...

While driving home, I noticed that my car was feeling a bit rumbly, like it wasn't getting consistent fuel. That feeling lasted about 10 more minutes. All of a sudden I felt a huge drop in power. I quickly pulled onto the shoulder and tried to figure out what was wrong. It wasn't electrical. I've had batteries and alternators die, and this was way different. The battery would crank the engine, but it would just lightly sputter and refuse to start. I figured it was maybe the fuel pump or something along those lines. I called roadside and had it towed to the nearest dealer and went home for the weekend. On Monday, the dealer called me a told me that they would take a look and let me know what they found. An hour later I got this text and it made me want to puke:

Tech removed coils and performed compression test. No compression found on any cylinders. Found the valve is stuck, open with borescope. Based on the mileage the vehicle has tech is recommending a new engine/long block.

The estimate is nearly $13000 to fix it. I'm sure there are other little things that would also need to be fixed along the way, so it's probably $15k or more to get it to a point that's worth way LESS than that. So, yeah. The car's essentially not worth "getting" fixed. The dealer won't work with me on options outside of "donating" to them - LOL. I know just enough about car repair to get me in trouble, so I'm thinking it might be a good deal for someone who could replace the engine and whatnot themselves. I don't know what salvage value is, but I hate to just give it to the dealer so they can repair it at wholesale cost and make a killing. Anyway...

So, now I'm freaking out and looking at whatever used cars are in the area for under $20k, just so I can stop paying for a rental as quickly as possible. I'm about to call and ask about a 13' GTI that I found nearby when I decide to take one last look for the actual car I want. On a lot in Texas is a freshly arrived Moonstone Grey, Autobahn, Manual and it appears to be available. I call and I'm told that it IS available, but that they won't sell it to me if I live in CA! I ask if I could buy it if I use my family's address in Colorado, and they say that will work. I ask for the full quote and there are a few small add-ons, but zero dealer mark-up bullshit! I put down a deposit and the car is officially going to be mine! I need to work out the financing details still, but once I take care of that, I'm flying out to Texas and picking up the EXACT car I wanted in the first place! My boss has already approved the last-second PTO, so things might actually work out for once.

I'm still not sure what's going to come of my old GTI, but if anyone has any suggestions on what to do, I'm all ears!

tl;dr - Wanted Mk8, couldn't find Mk8, decided to baby Mk6 for another year, Mk6 go boom, found Mk8, buying Mk8.

NoCaution

SofaKingEuro.com
I never got a straight answer as to "why". I had someone on the Mk8 forum mention the timing chain tensioner, but my car is WAY higher miles than others who reported that. Regardless, I don't have the time, money, or energy to try and get it "fixed". I certainly don't have the skillset to do it myself and even used parts and an indy shop would cost me more than I feel like spending. What I do have is good enough credit to buy a new Mk8, which is what I wanted to do anyway. I just hope that I'm not posting the same thing to the Mk8 forum in 12 years. lol

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
Yeah timing chain tensioner update and ultimately the chain are a must do on these engines. Pretty much all 08.5-12s 2.0T TSIs had a defective tensioner that could fail at any time and cause you to bend a valve. Some fail at 50k others 180k you never know. There were several lawsuits and VW eventually extended warranties and reimbursed people for repairs already made out of pocket or had the failure. Info all over the internet

This is Ryans face

Not sure if...
I had to have a new longblock installed after I spun a bearing. Had a nice bike chain sound coming from the engine after that. Checked oil levels and those were good, so I brought it into the dealer with literally 3 miles and a month left on my powertrain warranty. Got it fixed under that, thankfully, but you made the right call. Keep the old car for donor parts, part it out and sell it, or just sell it as it sits and let someone tow it away and fix it up.

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
Man seriously… find a decent local independent shop and have it towed there. The dealership is the worst place for any car with over 100k miles. If it was a timing chain assembly failure and it isn’t getting compression due to a bunch of busted valves it can probably be repaired for a few thousand dollars with a remanufactured head.

If they find enough damage to the pistons to warrant replacement a whole used block, installed, should cost significantly less than a buying a different used car with its own potential set of unknown problems.

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
So... were you still running the original chain? It sounds like it stretched beyond the tensioner's ability to do it's job leading to pistons and valves to touch. I've been given the impression by professionals that the chains on these engines tend not to last much beyond 130k miles.

Really sucks to hear that the chain's life isn't meaningfully extended with perfect maintenance. Having to replace a chain so often seems like a cruel joke, may as well have stuck with a belt and saved everyone the heartache.

NoCaution

SofaKingEuro.com
Yeah... I never did anything with the timing chain and was never told that it was needed during any of the regular service appointments. I just sold the car to someone who does have the ability to do the work themselves and I'm due to pick up my new Mk8 Autobahn on Tuesday afternoon, so despite being sad about the Mk6, I'm right where I wanted to be anyway. Life's weird...

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
Yeah... I never did anything with the timing chain and was never told that it was needed during any of the regular service appointments. I just sold the car to someone who does have the ability to do the work themselves and I'm due to pick up my new Mk8 Autobahn on Tuesday afternoon, so despite being sad about the Mk6, I'm right where I wanted to be anyway. Life's weird...
Yeah that’s messed up. “Life of the car” my ass. I had mine replaced at 136k miles, but if I hadn’t spent so much time on forums I wouldn’t have known to keep an eye on it.

I wonder how many EA888s have died the same way, because VW refused to provide a service interval for this super critical part. Maybe they’re just embarrassed because their chain design is somehow not more durable than a rubber belt.

AM407

Autocross Champion
Wow, terrible story but glad it all worked out in the end. Still a shame though, as that MK6 would have been worth good money in this market.

I’ve also got a MK6 I bought new in 2010. Only around 110,000 miles on mine and it’s been about as close to trouble-free as a car can be. But it’s still 12 years old now and it would really suck for something major to go wrong and for me to have to go car shopping in this crazy market.

I’m not overly worried, as I’ve been meticulous with maintenance and did have the timing chain and tensioner replaced at around 90,000 miles.

Anyway, all’s well that ends well. Enjoy that new MK8!

supreme_gti

Go Kart Champion
Look on the brighter side: mK8!!!!!

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
So... were you still running the original chain? It sounds like it stretched beyond the tensioner's ability to do it's job leading to pistons and valves to touch. I've been given the impression by professionals that the chains on these engines tend not to last much beyond 130k miles.

Really sucks to hear that the chain's life isn't meaningfully extended with perfect maintenance. Having to replace a chain so often seems like a cruel joke, may as well have stuck with a belt and saved everyone the heartache.
They have a revised chain that doesn't stretch but the crucial part is you have to buy that chain and have it installed.

2010 has the oldest chain you can have

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
It sucks but it's just like the manifold or the diverter valve. Sometimes these part revisions do matter and you are kind of on your own to figure it out.

Pretty shitty the dealer never mentioned getting an updated timing system to you OP

jedred1

jedred1
I'm sorry for your loss .. but.. congratulations 🥳