GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

My only complaint about our cars

Azn_Esprit

Oval Champion
Slowride said:
I don't have a pic, but when my roof is fully retracted, a plastic piece that is shaped like this pops up (front view here):

[]_[]_[]_[]_[]_[]_[]
-------------------

This piece is obviously designed to chop up the air stream that causes this effect, so that is probably why my car doesn't do this.

My jeep has a thing similar to that. The only time it makes the thumping noise is when the rear windows r open.

loccusst

FIA GT Champion
Car(s)
MKV GTI
My 99 civic made noise but not like the GTI does. But, I have had cars that made this noise. One of the issues is the fact that it is a two door and we can't roll down a back window to let the air escape. A possible solution might be an aftermarket wind deflector attached to the sunroof opening, one of those tinted things.

Wantagti

insufficient funds
Car(s)
Chevy Suburban Z71
My wife's mazda6 wagon does it. My kids in the back always check to see if I have the window lock on.

SollyD

Go Kart Newbie
NorthGTI said:
This is the same on all cars, of any make, with a retracting roof. My 78 911, 78 Golf, 84 Jetta, 84 Audi 4000, 85 Audi 4000q, 88 Audi 90q, 92 GTI, 95 GTI, 00 GTI all made the same sound. VW has to live with the laws of physics, just like every one else.
againa that isnt true. I've had 3 other cars two being a vw and an audi and the other a bmw and none made even the slightest noise

jkaruzas

Autocross Champion
davis_grad said:
this is typical on all cars with sunroofs--simple physics.

He is right. I had the same problem with a car in the past. Try just rolling the windows down just about an inch. that allows the air to pass through freely and eliminates that sound of the air filling up the car and being held out of the roof.

Freek

Formula 5000 Driver
my 00 Si made this noise u all are talking about...but my GTI doesnt

although in my GTI when i have both my windows open(sunroof closed) i get this weird whisteling noise coming from the side mirror area i think...sometimes its on the drivers side other times passenger....then sometimes its not there at all...sorta weird

rica_roel

Rally Car Newbie
davis_grad said:
this is typical on all cars with sunroofs--simple physics.

My GLI not make that sound, it has two positions the sunroof, the first you turn the switch and it opens not all the way, then it has another step, you turn completly the knob and it opens complete, if you drive in that position on those speeds mentioned, it will make that sound. Im shure it has both positions to choose speed with sunroof openings.

Cheers

Ricardo