GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MY09 WRX Official Release - 265hp + 244tq

Raddicted

Perfectly insane
For any Subaru fans out there. Just found out this today.

265 hp (up from 224 hp)
244 tq (up from 227 tq)
New Sport Tuned Suspension
Standard Aero Kit
STi front grill and rear spoiler
0-60 mph in 5.3 seconds

Still only a 5MT though (should have been 6MT). But a huge improvement overall. This is what the 08 should have been from the start. At least Subaru listened to their customers. The current 08 model effectively becomes the new MY09 Impreza GT. A "new" model below the new MY09 WRX.

Article and official press release from July 31st.

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/07/31/2009-subaru-impreza-wrx-265-hp-retuned-suspension-sti-tweaks/

BlaineWasHere

I brake for apexes!
MUCH better. Had that been the case when I got my GTI I might have a WRX.

Sounds like a defense to the Lancer Raliart.

Raddicted

Perfectly insane
Sounds like a defense to the Lancer Raliart.

:thumbsup: That's exactly what it is. They needed to address the MY08 as it was (especially considering the poor sales), but the introduction of the new Ralliart certainly sped things up a bit at Subaru HQ.

Prices are released on August 25th. Most people estimate it will go up $2-3K putting it around $28K. Say $29K for arguments sake. Considering a 08 STi with BBS is now $37,640 with no options, it would be a pretty hard decision to go with the STI right now. And I'm a former STi owner and fanatic. I just don't know if that extra $8-9K is worth it for slightly better performance. :iono:

What do you guys think?

Msteadman

Go Kart Champion
C&D has an article out on this as well.

hunt

long time lurker
Nice, looks much better. The 08s ones shouldnt have been branded wrx, but these new ones pack the punch that the 08s did not.

Raddicted

Perfectly insane
I want to test drive one...

Me too, can't wait to see it in the flesh. I drove the 08 WRX and it wasn't a bad car by any means. It certainly was a lot softer than the previous generation, but was also a lot more refined. What really impressed me about the GR body is the space that was inside. Especially rear seat legroom and cargo area. So this should still apply with the MY09, just with a lot more performance to go with it. And a better suspension setup which was lacking in the 08 to be honest.

HoldDaMayo

Leaner and Meaner

AngryChair

sounds like subaru has stepped up to the plate to try to compete with their rival. can't wait to see them on the road.

Raddicted

Perfectly insane