GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Need some advice from the GTI community

carlcan

Car(s)
17 Alltrack
I bought my GTI at age 60 and it's the most enjoyable car I have ever owned. Making modifications have been great fun, it's Stage 2 tuned now and a blast drive. Go for it you definitely will not regret it!

IES99

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI S
I've driven a new 2021 GTI Autobahn 6-speed a few times at a few different dealerships. Every time I'm behind the wheel I have a smile. It's a blast to drive. I've had my eyes on this car since way back in the early 80's when I was a teenager but never owned one. I've had Beetles, Jettas, a GLI and an Audi A4 or two....but never a GTI. Now, here I am in my 50's and I have my eyes on an Autobahn 6-speed Tornado Red GTI. I need my stick shift and my upgraded stereo system so that's why I'd go with the Autobahn. I'm perfectly comfortable with the price of the car....yet every time I try to seal the deal I get anxious about the GTI being my primary car. Will I look silly in a GTI as a guy in his 50's? Am I too old for this car? Will I regret buying a red car (even though I still think it's the color the GTI was made for). Will I get bored of driving a car that many see as a "toy" after after a few weeks? Will it feel like "work" to drive compared to a sedan.

Of course I know that everyone I've ever spoken to who owns or owned a GTI says "GO GET IT NOW!!!" It's the car I've always smiled at in parking lots that was just never the right fit (too expensive, too small, not great with a young kid, etc....). Now, all I need to do is say "yes" and it's mine. I honestly can't explain what's holding me back but I decided to join the forum just to hear from kindred spirits. Any and all thoughts and suggestions are appreciated.
I bought mine at age 63 4 year s ago. I still smile while driving and started autocrossing. You are young.

dequardo

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
‘21 GLI Autobahn GLI
66 here. Do it!

roundle1979

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI SE 6MT
The GTI is the thinking man's sports car.

I'm 41 and am coming from BMWs and Audis. I went with the GTI as it was the only 6MT daily driver that I liked driving.

My wife and I both fight over my 2018 GTI SE 6MT. In my view, the SE is the way to go--Autobahn is getting up there with the A3/S3.

My MSRP back in Sept 2018 was 32K; my dealer accepted $25.5K. I suspect they'll give you a huge discount on the 'final year' MK7.5 GTI Autobahn 6MT.

Gray_Panther

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
GTi
I will be turning 50 soon, in less than 20 years and I have no self image issues with being older in a GTI. It just means u have lots of vitality and still like to have fun tossing a hot hatch around.

There isn’t a better car, for the price, that you can daily year round than the GTI.

EricsVdub

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI SE Exp pkg
I've driven a new 2021 GTI Autobahn 6-speed a few times at a few different dealerships. Every time I'm behind the wheel I have a smile. It's a blast to drive. I've had my eyes on this car since way back in the early 80's when I was a teenager but never owned one. I've had Beetles, Jettas, a GLI and an Audi A4 or two....but never a GTI. Now, here I am in my 50's and I have my eyes on an Autobahn 6-speed Tornado Red GTI. I need my stick shift and my upgraded stereo system so that's why I'd go with the Autobahn. I'm perfectly comfortable with the price of the car....yet every time I try to seal the deal I get anxious about the GTI being my primary car. Will I look silly in a GTI as a guy in his 50's? Am I too old for this car? Will I regret buying a red car (even though I still think it's the color the GTI was made for). Will I get bored of driving a car that many see as a "toy" after after a few weeks? Will it feel like "work" to drive compared to a sedan.

Of course I know that everyone I've ever spoken to who owns or owned a GTI says "GO GET IT NOW!!!" It's the car I've always smiled at in parking lots that was just never the right fit (too expensive, too small, not great with a young kid, etc....). Now, all I need to do is say "yes" and it's mine. I honestly can't explain what's holding me back but I decided to join the forum just to hear from kindred spirits. Any and all thoughts and suggestions are appreciated.
I sure hope not, as a first time GTI 6MT owner in his 50's myself! LOL. I honestly see it differently. The GTI is a fun & practical car that doesn't scream boy racer at all. The interior of the car is very nice quality and nothing I would be embarrassed to have others ride in. Although my GTI isn't red, my previous car was. As long as I'm alive I want to enjoy driving the car I'm paying for, so I'm not going to worry about what anyone else thinks about it. Do what makes you happy, there are too many things in life that you can't avoid that don't, to pass on the things that do.

Javwohl

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 Carbon Steel
My brother and I bought our first gti back around fourth of july it was tornado red not a fan of red cars but ended up loving the color. My brother is mid 50s and he enjoys the car. You should do what you want not worry about what other people think. Had a 97 Miata loved that car even though everybody said it was a chick car till they went for a ride with me then they understood why I loved it so much. Will get another one some day just not practical as a dd.

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
You won't look silly...most people won't even notice cause they think "just a small hatch back". This car does most things very well. Room for 4, reasonably fast, great mpg, reliability is decent, way more nice inside than I need, good feel as a drivers car.

3 yrs/36K on mine and I really like it

older guy who traded in Mustang

Mud

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
How many more manuals do you think we'll be able to have? One, two at max - before everything goes electric. Get it, don't look back. Enjoy life.

SouthFL_Mk7.5

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI S
You won't look silly...most people won't even notice cause they think "just a small hatch back". This car does most things very well. Room for 4, reasonably fast, great mpg, reliability is decent, way more nice inside than I need, good feel as a drivers car.

3 yrs/36K on mine and I really like it

older guy who traded in Mustang

Mud
This.

47 here and currently driving the GTI that will be my son’s first car. We’ve been modding it together over the past year. When he takes it over in a few months I’m most likely going to buy another one for myself!

I do think it’s more of a younger person’s car but I simply enjoy driving it every day! More than any other vehicle I’ve owned.

uberdot

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Silver 2017 6MT
Now I know why other GTI drivers never wave back at me like they did in the Scirocco or Beetle; You’re all a bunch of cranky old guys!