GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

New 2024 GTI: Change Oil At 500 Miles?

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Not needed. The motors are broken in from the factory
Not entirely true. The owner's manual literally has break-in guidelines for the first 1,000 miles.

Breaking in the engine
A new engine needs to be broken in during the first 1000 miles (1500 km). All moving parts should be able to work together. During the first few hours of operation, the engine has a higher internal friction than it will later.
Up to 1000 km (600 miles):
  • Do not accelerate fully.
  • Do not use more than two thirds of the maximum engine RPM.
Between 1000 and 1500 km (600 to 1000 miles):
  • Increase the speed and engine RPM gradually.
The driving style during the first 1000 miles (1500 km) also affects the engine's quality. Even after that – especially when the engine is cold – the engine should be driven at moderate engine speeds to reduce engine wear and increase the possible mileage.
Do not drive at too low of an engine speed (RPM). Always downshift if the engine stops running “smoothly”.
New tires ⇒ Information about wheels and tires and brake pads ⇒ Information on the brakes must be carefully broken in.

If the new engine is broken in gently, its service life is increased while, at the same time, reducing engine oil consumption.

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Is changing oil at 500 miles something you still do? I have a new 2024 GTI and I'm just wondering...
It's not necessary. Some people say to do a change at 1,000 mi after the break-in period, but if it was needed I'd expect it to be part of your maintenance schedule. Do what's most comfortable to you, though. It certainly won't hurt!

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
He was asking if he needed to change the oil at 500, where in the manual does it say that does?
It doesn't. I agree an oil change that early isn't needed. I was responding to your claim that the engine is broken in from the factory.

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
wut

2 things are true: (1) The engine isn't broken in from the factory and has break-in instructions. (2) An oil change at 500 miles is not required.

Bibi_Travels

I'm not arguing, it's just a discussion... Going strictly by the manual, it's not required, or it would say so... I could say that an early oil change is part of an engine break-in process, no? I did draw an oil sample and I sent it off to Blackstone for analysis... I'll be curious about what wear metals show up. If I draw another sample at, say, 2500 miles and there's a reduction of wear metals, then I'd know that the engine is broken in. Or if there is still wear metal present, I might be inclined to change oil again and retest at 5000 miles.

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
I'm not arguing, it's just a discussion... Going strictly by the manual, it's not required, or it would say so... I could say that an early oil change is part of an engine break-in process, no? I did draw an oil sample and I sent it off to Blackstone for analysis... I'll be curious about what wear metals show up. If I draw another sample at, say, 2500 miles and there's a reduction of wear metals, then I'd know that the engine is broken in. Or if there is still wear metal present, I might be inclined to change oil again and retest at 5000 miles.
There's no harm in changing it, and an oil analysis certainly would be interesting. But if it was vital to the engine's break-in, I would expect it to be recommended by VW.

Bibi_Travels

But if it was vital to the engine's break-in, I would expect it to be recommended by VW.
I know I’m being cynical, but VW doesn’t want the car to last a long, long time. VW is in fact in the business of selling cars. The only reason they offer pre-paid maintenance at 10K and 20K is that most people lease cars nowadays and some don’t even bother to do oil changes at 10K intervals unless it’s “free” because by the time the deferred maintenance manifests as a problem, they’re driving (abusing) some other car. It’s like my 2017 GTI Sport: the dealer told me that the VAQ didn’t need oil change servicing until 80K miles…

Thanks everyone for your input. When I get results back from Blackstone, I’ll post it here.

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
I know I’m being cynical, but VW doesn’t want the car to last a long, long time. VW is in fact in the business of selling cars. The only reason they offer pre-paid maintenance at 10K and 20K is that most people lease cars nowadays and some don’t even bother to do oil changes at 10K intervals unless it’s “free” because by the time the deferred maintenance manifests as a problem, they’re driving (abusing) some other car. It’s like my 2017 GTI Sport: the dealer told me that the VAQ didn’t need oil change servicing until 80K miles…
I mean, why suggest a break-in procedure at all then if the goal is to reduce engine lifespan? Why recommend oil changes at 10k when 15k could be recommended instead? Why continue to use robust components in the engine? Do what you want. There's no harm in doing more maintenance than what's recommended. I know a lot of folks in the VW community do 5k oil changes even if they're not tuned.

But consider that VW wants brand loyalty so you'll buy another car from them. It's not in their interest to make unreliable cars. Why would they set you up to have your engine fail early so you then go run off to a reliable brand like Toyota and tell all your friends VW engines fail early? That doesn't benefit them at all. And consider most people move on from cars well before they "fail" anyways.

Bibi_Travels

It's not in their interest to make unreliable cars
Never said they make unreliable cars… and never said they set you up for early engine failure. Of course I’ll do what I want. And I understand brand loyalty, I stayed loyal after three TDIs even though we can all look back at this point and say that VW benefited from Dieselgate until they didn’t. And I’m not saying I’m right; just having a discussion about changing oil at 500 miles; kinda think it’s interesting what people think. Like asking how often you wash your car(?). Besides I think it’s a fine line between 10K and 15K oil changes anyway—you can test for TAN and TBN if you want to go extended oil service.

scrllock

Autocross Champion
If every single engine was fully broken in on an engine dyno, there would be no need to do any break-in.

VW does want your car to hit emissions and power targets, which means a reasonable break-in on your piston rings.

Assuming the manual is telling the truth, I don't see the logic in waiting until 2500 miles to do another sample/change, especially if you're paranoid enough to do a 500 mile service. If it were my car, I'd change it when they suggest break-in is finished, then go to whatever interval meets the use case.