GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

New 2024 GTI: Change Oil At 500 Miles?

Bibi_Travels

I don't see the logic in waiting until 2500 miles to do another sample/change
The 2500 miles was purely arbitrary… only because it’s halfway to 5000 miles; that was my logic. And I agree that changing at the end of break-in makes sense but I felt it was too soon after just having changed at 500 miles. I’d make the decision to change again at 2500 based on the oil analysis

SennaS

Passed Driver's Ed
People wrap themselves around the axle on all things oil related. Me? I always change any car at 1500m then every 5000 after. IDGAF what others do but find the discourse amusing.

keyfob

My 2022 RLine, new to me in May 2022, has just had its first trip to the garage for its first oil change.
It's on a flexible service regime, and has just completed a little over 18,000 miles.
Runs like a dream.
Next service/oil change planned for around about March 2026.

Jmitchell4873

Go Kart Champion
If I plan on keeping a turbo car for the long term, I prefer to replace the oil/filter around the 2500 mile mark for the first change.

No harm in doing it, besides the extra cost. I buy my consumables from FCP, so it really only comes down to paying the return shipping.

Bibi_Travels

My 2022 RLine, new to me in May 2022, has just had its first trip to the garage for its first oil change.
It's on a flexible service regime, and has just completed a little over 18,000 miles.
Runs like a dream.
Next service/oil change planned for around about March 2026.
Well how nice… that’s outstanding. What kind of driving do you do?

keyfob

Well how nice… that’s outstanding. What kind of driving do you do?
A to B, then later back to A, mostly going forwards, some reversing.
Generally in line with the requirements of flexible service regime, so always choose flexible rather than fixed.
https://www.volkswagen.co.uk/en/own...nd-parts/service-plans/service-schedules.html
My previous Golf (Mk6 2011) is still going strong (160,000+ miles), now owned by my son. That also has always been on a flexible regime.

Last edited:

PanEuropean

Ready to race!
I know I’m being cynical, but VW doesn’t want the car to last a long, long time.
@Bibi_Travels : I disagree with you - your comment has no basis in fact. VW wants that engine to last a long time simply because they warrant it for a long time (5 years / 100,000 km powertrain warranty in Canada, plus an emissions warranty that runs even longer than that and covers certain engine components).

As for the 500 mile or 1,000 mile oil change, if the manufacturer thought that was needed, I'm pretty sure they would have recommended it. I think those days of changing oil after a short break-in period are long gone - I can't remember any car I have purchased in the last 30 years that recommended an oil change after a short break-in period.

Michael

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
FWIW, out of curiosity I just did a change at 1900 mi and didn’t find any metal specs or other junk in the oil or oil filter.