GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

New car

PetrolHead

When's the next track day
Why does he want to buy such a boring car? Does he have heart problems?

Seriously. A Jetta TDI is perfect. Incredible fuel economy, excellent interior, bulletproof reliability. But, most people are too narrow-minded to consider anything other than Japanese stuff. That's why Honda and Toyota have done so well for so long.

GTICrazy90

Ready to race!
Seriously. A Jetta TDI is perfect. Incredible fuel economy, excellent interior, bulletproof reliability. But, most people are too narrow-minded to consider anything other than Japanese stuff. That's why Honda and Toyota have done so well for so long.

And thats my dad, I tried talking him into one, but he wants to stick to something that you dont have to take care of to much and it will still work perfectly. I almost got him into a GTI also to but its to expensive for his price range.

nhbubba

CEL free until 48,398 mi
Ya'll have to remember that 99.999% of the population doesn't give a fuck about cars. They don't post on forums about their cars, they don't 'mod' their cars, and they sure as fuck don't fan-boy up over them. They just get in them every day and drive them.

Also some people are incredibly hung up over resale value.

Personally I think worrying about resale value is a little like worrying how much it is going to sting when you pee after you get VD; no matter what it's gonna hurt, so you might as well have some fun along the way. But that's me. ... I also post on forums, so clearly I'm with the rest of you in that 0.001%.
A Jetta TDI is perfect. Incredible fuel economy, excellent interior, bulletproof reliability.
Until we get a few years under the belt of this new 50-state 'clean diesel' system, I'm not sure we can use the term 'bulletproof'. And older TDI's aren't magically immune from any of the various electrical problems gave Mk3 and 4 VW's such a bad rep.

OP: The corolla sounds like a fine choice for your pops. Best of luck to him.

I have a (long) boring commute too. Fortunately my MkV keeps me company.

GTICrazy90

Ready to race!
Ya'll have to remember that 99.999% of the population doesn't give a fuck about cars. They don't post on forums about their cars, they don't 'mod' their cars, and they sure as fuck don't fan-boy up over them. They just get in them every day and drive them.

Also some people are incredibly hung up over resale value.

Personally I think worrying about resale value is a little like worrying how much it is going to sting when you pee after you get VD; no matter what it's gonna hurt, so you might as well have some fun along the way. But that's me. ... I also post on forums, so clearly I'm with the rest of you in that 0.001%.

Until we get a few years under the belt of this new 50-state 'clean diesel' system, I'm not sure we can use the term 'bulletproof'. And older TDI's aren't magically immune from any of the various electrical problems gave Mk3 and 4 VW's such a bad rep.

OP: The corolla sounds like a fine choice for your pops. Best of luck to him.

I have a (long) boring commute too. Fortunately my MkV keeps me company.

Yupp most people just use cars to get from Point A to Point B. Some people care more about the audio system of the car then the handling. I myself have a pretty boring commute when i go from school to home on the weekends, and I would say most of the population has a boring commute. Now the difference is I also go out driving just for the heck of it, and it usually involves going on a canyon road :D, although my last canyon run was fun until my friend spun out so we stopped driving for a couple hours. But yea most people dont care about cars like us.

Now i wish i had a mkv or mk6 ffor that matter or anything other than my car. Even though i love it so much, ive used it to its potential. And now its time for an upgrade sometime in the future, just need to get a job soon.

Dybz

Banned
i wish the chicago area had somewhere to do a "canyon run". closest thing we have is the loop area where a bunch of highways meet lol.

Scharf

i wish the chicago area had somewhere to do a "canyon run". closest thing we have is the loop area where a bunch of highways meet lol.

You knocking the loop?

RevoGLI

i <3 canada land
The Jetta will make the commute better :thumbsup:, TDi in CW. Plus make sure to get Sirius XM, its awesome and a lifesaver. I've yet to grow old of commercial free radio :thumbup:

DejaVu

Ready to race!
I don't know why people keep recommending the Jetta when it gets less MPG than the GTI, and who is it that keeps whispering into our ears that the interiors in a Jetta/GTI are so great? Just touch the center dash vent with even an ounce of force and be subjected to plastic creaking as if it were about to break into 1000 pieces. For a boring commute with performance not even being taken into consideration, the Honda Civic is the winner when you factor in reliability compared to the Toyota and Hyundai. I've personally been affected by Toyota's gas pedal of doom so I wouldn't be able to recommend one until the real source of their problem is found and fixed.

GTICrazy90

Ready to race!
I don't know why people keep recommending the Jetta when it gets less MPG than the GTI, and who is it that keeps whispering into our ears that the interiors in a Jetta/GTI are so great? Just touch the center dash vent with even an ounce of force and be subjected to plastic creaking as if it were about to break into 1000 pieces. For a boring commute with performance not even being taken into consideration, the Honda Civic is the winner when you factor in reliability compared to the Toyota and Hyundai. I've personally been affected by Toyota's gas pedal of doom so I wouldn't be able to recommend one until the real source of their problem is found and fixed.

People are recommending the jetta TDI which gets much more mpg than a GTI.

GTICrazy90

Ready to race!

One can make good use out of the loop

nhbubba

CEL free until 48,398 mi
and who is it that keeps whispering into our ears that the interiors in a Jetta/GTI are so great? Just touch the center dash vent with even an ounce of force and be subjected to plastic creaking as if it were about to break into 1000 pieces.

You obviously haven't been in any cars from other manufacturers in this segment. For the price, the GTI and Jettas have pretty damned good fit and finish. (Well, at least the up trimmed Jettas. The base Golf/Rabbit/Jetta models loose a lot of the little extras.)

Interior doesn't make the car epic or anything. (Despite what you might read here.) But it makes these $2x,000 cars a lot more attractive than a lot of other $2x,000 cars.

RevoGLI

i <3 canada land
You obviously haven't been in any cars from other manufacturers in this segment. For the price, the GTI and Jettas have pretty damned good fit and finish. (Well, at least the up trimmed Jettas. The base Golf/Rabbit/Jetta models loose a lot of the little extras.)

Interior doesn't make the car epic or anything. (Despite what you might read here.) But it makes these $2x,000 cars a lot more attractive than a lot of other $2x,000 cars.

^ 2x

I'm quite satisfied with the quality of my GLi's interior. Nothing is wrong, cheap or plasticky feeling. Even my leather seat has yet to sag after 55,000 miles.

When I sit in my friends 06 civic, I feel blessed with the interior i have, because honestly, civics are shit on the inside compared to our GTi's. Even our door handles have more care put into the design and quality.

Any car driven carefully can produce decent gas milage, even an m3. but the TDi will in the end be the best commuter.