GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Newbie hybrid question

Simmo GTE

Hi, I'm new here so apologies if this has already been covered elsewhere.

I'm taking delivery tomorrow of a Mk8 GTE after an agonising 16 month wait. It'll be my first hybrid after years in VW diesels, so uncharted territory for me.

I'm eager to hear of other GTE owners' experiences, highs/lows, driving/charging tips etc.

My main question would be how to get the best mpg on long runs, I've heard on Cupras with the same engine you can plan your journey on the satnav and the car will optimise itself, does the Golf have a similar option?

Thanks

Maturedriver

Go Kart Champion
The other day I did a 150 mile journey in my GTE. There were minor roads at both the beginning and end of the journey. The majority of the route was on fast dual carriageways where I cruised at an indicated 75 - 80 at every opportunity. I followed the Sat Nav religiously. The electric range went to ‘0’ about half a mile before my destination. Seriously impressive. Oh, and I averaged 66mpg.

AndyCYM

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi, I'm new here so apologies if this has already been covered elsewhere.

I'm taking delivery tomorrow of a Mk8 GTE after an agonising 16 month wait. It'll be my first hybrid after years in VW diesels, so uncharted territory for me.

I'm eager to hear of other GTE owners' experiences, highs/lows, driving/charging tips etc.

My main question would be how to get the best mpg on long runs, I've heard on Cupras with the same engine you can plan your journey on the satnav and the car will optimise itself, does the Golf have a similar option?

Thanks
Yes, the Golf Phevs do that. Mine's an ehybrid but it's the same set up. I don't think it's any more economical using the VW nav, it just saves the battery for any urban driving.

There's no trick to getting the best economy, just start a long run in hybrid mode and let the car do its thing.

It's a myth that uncharged Phevs are heavy on fuel. I frequently do a 220 mile round trip, Hertford to Salisbury, starting charged but with no charge on way back, mpg is always between 58 and 62 for the trip, cruise at 75mph, significantly better than the GTD I had before.

AndyCYM

Passed Driver's Ed
Just read Maturedriver's post, he's probably right, the VW nav will make sure it uses all the battery if it can. Unfortunately, you can't tell the car that you will be doing the return journey without recharging, so it won't help economy in that situation.

Maturedriver

Go Kart Champion
Apparently it’s possible to set Sat Nav to allow for a return journey. How it is done? Haven’t got a clue! Perhaps if there are any 14 year olds on this forum perhaps they can help 🙄.

Maturedriver

Go Kart Champion
No idea how to do it on the sat nav, but if I’m doing a return journey without being able to charge, I just set the charge limit on the hybrid system at 50% on the way out, leaving the rest for the way back. Not perfect, but works ok so far.

Good idea. Why didn’t I think of that? I’m happy to be sent to the back of the class with a dunce’s hat on.

AndyCYM

Passed Driver's Ed
No idea how to do it on the sat nav, but if I’m doing a return journey without being able to charge, I just set the charge limit on the hybrid system at 50% on the way out, leaving the rest for the way back. Not perfect, but works ok so far.
I've done that, but I don't think it makes any difference to mpg. I think that's to do with physics...

AndyCYM

Passed Driver's Ed
Agreed. I try to hold some in reserve, and then I end up trying to use it all up before I get home. Never a dull moment with a phev! The power boost seems to rely on reserve battery power, it still kicks in with no charge showing. I don't know how long it would last, I don't tend to use boost much, it's a bit brutal and it doesn't really suit the car imo.

AndyCYM

Passed Driver's Ed
As a footnote, I'm sure there is no option in navigation to set up a return journey, but there's a way to do it: when starting off, set the hybrid system to reserve 50% of the battery for the return - simple!

Simmo GTE

As a footnote, I'm sure there is no option in navigation to set up a return journey, but there's a way to do it: when starting off, set the hybrid system to reserve 50% of the battery for the return - simple!
Apparently what you have to do is set your destination to the same place as your starting point, then add your actual destination as a stop-off. E.g. if you were going from Manchester to London and back, you'd put Manchester as your destination then add London as a stop-off or 'via' point. I haven't tried it yet, but I'd imagine the satnav would soon forget what it had been set to if you stay at your 'via' point for long.