GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Nikon D90 or Canon 450D

Byza

Haters unite!!!
Whats everyones thoughts?

i can get either of these in a twin lense for roughly the same price give or take couple of $100....? obviously canons twin lense option is different but nikons is the 18-55 & 55-200...

i was set of the 450d but now have been recommended the Nikon??? i have had a canon before in a powershot and wanted to upgrade and get more into photography.. i am happy to learn the new system but wanted some others feedback on both options...

bottom line is this is for a beginnner to learn basic skills but also something i can learn, grow and refine skills on without having to be restricted within 12 months or so...

look forward to the brand wars to begin...LOL...

utekineir

Banned
I'm far from any sort of experienced photographer, but i started looking into dslr's 5 or 6 months ago and had been reasearching them off and on since before settling on the canon xsi (450d) recently.

If you don't have any lenses of either brand allready I'd go with the nikon if you can get either for a similar price. I went with the canon xsi because here the nikon with 18-55 is currently around $1300, and the canon with 18-55 is $700. If the price gap weren't so high chances are i'd have bought the nikon d90. I had purchased a nikon d60 first, it was very nice my only real problem with it was the canon xsi being a better camera for nearly the same price.

If you had a collection of lenses obviously the choice would be made by the type they were.

maimkv

Ready to race!
go to your local camera store/shop and put both of them in your hands. which ever one feels the best in your hands is the one you should get. the worst thing is to get a camera that doesn't feel right. that's my two cents for doing photography for a living.

wake

wake up!
Look into the 40D...it's going clearance at many places because it's being replaced by the 50D so you should be able to get a good deal on one. Also, it comes with a pretty good lens which most of the smaller amateur DSLRs don't come with. I have it and love it! :thumbsup:

Gm@n

Passed Driver's Ed
What about the Olympus E420? Sorry for hijacking the thread. Its either that or the canon but the oly is cheaper and comes with two lenses.

wake

wake up!
What about the Olympus E420? Sorry for hijacking the thread. Its either that or the canon but the oly is cheaper and comes with two lenses.

You get what you pay for though...go with either Sony, Canon or Nikon. Personally I prefer Canon.

notkool59

Go Kart Champion
You get what you pay for though...go with either Sony, Canon or Nikon. Personally I prefer Canon.

That is the first time I have ever heard Sony mentioned with Nikon and Cannon, have they really moved up to play with the big boys? I have been out of camera's for a while so I don't know much about them any more :frown: .

SoNgMaN

I Void Warranties
That is the first time I have ever heard Sony mentioned with Nikon and Cannon, have they really moved up to play with the big boys? I have been out of camera's for a while so I don't know much about them any more :frown: .

yes it seems they have...i'm thinking of droping my Canon stuff and swapping to a Sony Alpha. my mom gets them at cost so umm those sweet zeiss lens are even sweeter.

notkool59

Go Kart Champion
yes it seems they have...i'm thinking of droping my Canon stuff and swapping to a Sony Alpha. my mom gets them at cost so umm those sweet zeiss lens are even sweeter.

Really? I am looking for a new SLR and didn't even think to consider the Alpha, I guess maybe I should haha.

SoNgMaN

I Void Warranties
Really? I am looking for a new SLR and didn't even think to consider the Alpha, I guess maybe I should haha.

I haven't looked at the latest ones, BUT their first couple were not on par with C&N. they were good enough though. with any SLR it really isn't the body anyway it's the quality of the lens. it seems the sony lens (higher end ones) are great. they will come along with the bodies at some point so unless they change their mounting form factor.