GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Nine81's Silver Wiener Build

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
20 CX5 19 GTI 10 MZ3
I'm usually a fan of the classic red accents on the GTI but this shot of the front looks REALLY clean. I like how the FMIC adds a bit more silver to the front face. Paint color looks awesome here too. Seats look amazing too, great read.
Thanks! I opted for the silver to just be a little less sneaky, and I like how it fits into my idea of what the 'classic' fast car was from my days growing up. It's truly been a labor of love, and even with some speedbumps along the way, I'm loving the ownership experience thusfar. 35k on the clock, I just did the oil change on it two weekends ago.

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
great updates so far! big fan of the seats!

mkvii.717

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2020 GLI Autobahn
I was chasing through forums looking for thoughts on EQT tuning and I find a fellow Susquehanna person here I just thought you two were Mazda folks. May I ask why you don't autocross the GTI I looked through to see if you said but I didn't see anyone else ask?

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
20 CX5 19 GTI 10 MZ3
I was chasing through forums looking for thoughts on EQT tuning and I find a fellow Susquehanna person here I just thought you two were Mazda folks. May I ask why you don't autocross the GTI I looked through to see if you said but I didn't see anyone else ask?
Howdy! Funny story, I caught the VW bug (pun intended) when I was a kid, and the Mazda was my first non-VW car when 2nd gear in my Jetta decided it wanted to secede from the union of the car. I thought that because the Mazda kinda looked goofy that I'd be able to leave it alone, and put money aside to get another transmission to fix the wagon. Lo and behold, I just can't leave anything alone, and the Mazda was actually a pretty reasonably fun car, so I started on a couple mods and then just kind of accidentally fell in love with the car. It's really made me (and my wife now as well) into Mazda fans, though I still love my GTI quite a bit.

As for why I don't autocross the GTI, there's a couple of reasons. The GTI is a pretty recent addition to the family, so I had already made some changes and begun learning the Mazda by the time it was a factor. Additionally, I don't have great tire on it -- current are 225-wide all seasons that "someday" are going to get replaced with something a bit sportier (DWS06+ or Advan v601s are on my radar). Also a factor is the general price of upkeep -- the GTI's cost of ownership is higher, as well as parts in general seem to be more expensive. I've also done a fair number of mods that I believe would push me into SM(F) or XA, I haven't looked into the rulebook too heavily for STH but the rulebook has been a consistent factor when making changes to my Mazda. Also, if we're being honest, the Mazda isn't holding me back in the slightest -- there's still a ton of room for improvement for me on that car. The GTI pretty much teleports you from element to element, where the Mazda at least gives you a moment to think by comparison.

Are you going up to Mid-State Airport this weekend? I think there's like ~80 people registered, it's a fun venue and generally their (CPR) events are a little smaller than SUSQ events.

mkvii.717

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2020 GLI Autobahn
Howdy! Funny story, I caught the VW bug (pun intended) when I was a kid, and the Mazda was my first non-VW car when 2nd gear in my Jetta decided it wanted to secede from the union of the car. I thought that because the Mazda kinda looked goofy that I'd be able to leave it alone, and put money aside to get another transmission to fix the wagon. Lo and behold, I just can't leave anything alone, and the Mazda was actually a pretty reasonably fun car, so I started on a couple mods and then just kind of accidentally fell in love with the car. It's really made me (and my wife now as well) into Mazda fans, though I still love my GTI quite a bit.

As for why I don't autocross the GTI, there's a couple of reasons. The GTI is a pretty recent addition to the family, so I had already made some changes and begun learning the Mazda by the time it was a factor. Additionally, I don't have great tire on it -- current are 225-wide all seasons that "someday" are going to get replaced with something a bit sportier (DWS06+ or Advan v601s are on my radar). Also a factor is the general price of upkeep -- the GTI's cost of ownership is higher, as well as parts in general seem to be more expensive. I've also done a fair number of mods that I believe would push me into SM(F) or XA, I haven't looked into the rulebook too heavily for STH but the rulebook has been a consistent factor when making changes to my Mazda. Also, if we're being honest, the Mazda isn't holding me back in the slightest -- there's still a ton of room for improvement for me on that car. The GTI pretty much teleports you from element to element, where the Mazda at least gives you a moment to think by comparison.

Are you going up to Mid-State Airport this weekend? I think there's like ~80 people registered, it's a fun venue and generally their (CPR) events are a little smaller than SUSQ events.
That makes sense. I am still very new to all this as my first event was last August. Due to existing mods I was put in STH right away, so I am still playing catch up with the rule book and you know trying to learn how to drive lol.

My next event is with NEPA at Mohegan Sun I am still trying out the different venues as we have so much within say a 2-hour drive. I am just across the river so having Elmerton 10 min away kinda spoils me. Next time I see you love to pick your brain about EQT. Tune is probably going to be my offseason "build".

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
20 CX5 19 GTI 10 MZ3
That makes sense. I am still very new to all this as my first event was last August. Due to existing mods I was put in STH right away, so I am still playing catch up with the rule book and you know trying to learn how to drive lol.

My next event is with NEPA at Mohegan Sun I am still trying out the different venues as we have so much within say a 2-hour drive. I am just across the river so having Elmerton 10 min away kinda spoils me. Next time I see you love to pick your brain about EQT. Tune is probably going to be my offseason "build".
Feel free! I love talking to people about cars (perhaps a bit too much). NEPA has some fantastic venues, I have not been to Mohegan Sun but we've done a couple events at Pocono with them and they're always a blast. I hear Philly and DC are also really good, though I haven't been firsthand.

IF STH allows for aftermarket intercoolers, I highly recommend it. I have the twintercooler setup, but even if you're only allowed to replace the OEM intercooler with a similar-placement upgrade, common knowledge is that it's a huge improvement.

mkvii.717

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2020 GLI Autobahn
Feel free! I love talking to people about cars (perhaps a bit too much). NEPA has some fantastic venues, I have not been to Mohegan Sun but we've done a couple events at Pocono with them and they're always a blast. I hear Philly and DC are also really good, though I haven't been firsthand.

IF STH allows for aftermarket intercoolers, I highly recommend it. I have the twintercooler setup, but even if you're only allowed to replace the OEM intercooler with a similar-placement upgrade, common knowledge is that it's a huge improvement.
I can def relate to talking too much about cars :)

Do you think the IC is worth the cost in an AX setting? If we were doing 20min track sessions I would think so but my temps never seem that awful though it is not August yet

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
20 CX5 19 GTI 10 MZ3
I can def relate to talking too much about cars :)

Do you think the IC is worth the cost in an AX setting? If we were doing 20min track sessions I would think so but my temps never seem that awful though it is not August yet
I think that even for street driving, the IC is a worthwhile upgrade. AX you may not necessarily see massive benefits, but you'll still get additional airflow. We tend to bring a water sprayer to control tire temperatures, but I know a fair number of folks will also use water to cool the IC between runs.

Even if money's a factor, I think it's worthwhile as a safety measure overall for the car. There's a lot of strongly-held belief that the OEM intercooler is barely up to the task of keeping up with the rest of the setup when stock, much less once tuned.

mkvii.717

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2020 GLI Autobahn
I think that even for street driving, the IC is a worthwhile upgrade. AX you may not necessarily see massive benefits, but you'll still get additional airflow. We tend to bring a water sprayer to control tire temperatures, but I know a fair number of folks will also use water to cool the IC between runs.

Even if money's a factor, I think it's worthwhile as a safety measure overall for the car. There's a lot of strongly-held belief that the OEM intercooler is barely up to the task of keeping up with the rest of the setup when stock, much less once tuned.
Fair enough 034 just came out with one too. I do need to verify gti and gli are compatible I am 90% sure they are but its in an area I could see being different. The platforms are practically identical so when their different it always catches me off guard lol.

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
20 CX5 19 GTI 10 MZ3
Fair enough 034 just came out with one too. I do need to verify gti and gli are compatible I am 90% sure they are but its in an area I could see being different. The platforms are practically identical so when their different it always catches me off guard lol.
What I will say is I was looking at Forge's twintercooler and the ebay majesty/magic clone is just as usable for way less money. Otherwise I know the do88 intercooler is super popular, though it sounds like the Wagner might be an option as well. I dunno, there's all sorts of options out there

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
20 CX5 19 GTI 10 MZ3
Over the weekend I (finally) got my hands on an Aerofabb front splitter (v2) from @ Desslok and I'm very excited to put it on. Also got wipers (because otherwise I'm never gonna order them because I'm lazy) and a fancy oil extractor, pics of the lip will come once installed. I think while the bumper is off anyway though, it's going to get fixed and repainted, and possibly get PPF. And of course, in an annoying twist, while leaving Ikea on the way to get lunch, I got rearended by someone who was briefly distracted. Thankfully there was only some very minor paint transfer, I took some ONR and a microfiber and was able to remove the scuff without issue. Oh, and I also have parts on order to use my BFI shift knob from the mk4 Jetta wagon in the GTI, which I think will be a rather nice homage.

Lobster rolls from Conshy Seafood Co are fantastic and we really need to get out to eastern PA more.

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
20 CX5 19 GTI 10 MZ3
Got the goodies for making the BFI knob fit, can't wait to take the car out again soon. The shifter feels nice as ever, though I should probably clean it. Debating about what's next on the radar, I'd really like to sort the ride height and go stage 2 but we'll see what else comes up.
PXL_20230718_234525651.jpg

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
Look up kurger bing

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
20 CX5 19 GTI 10 MZ3
Re-did the black stripe on the GTI grille, I've been putting it off for ages now but haven't been happy about the paint job that the dealer did when I requested they reproduce it from the first time the car was hit. I happened to have some black vinyl around still, and I think it came out decently -- PS, I know it needs washed. Also installed the Aerofabb front lip, using 45mm bolts for the center six fasteners as advised by others in order to clear the FMIC. I haven't mounted the bumper yet because I'm going to see about getting the blemish on the driver's side filled and repainted, though I'm also considering just buying a new bumper and getting it painted. Either way, I'm very excited for the look.

PXL_20230724_231011060.jpg
PXL_20230724_225924613.jpg
PXL_20230724_225941707.jpg