GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Normal and Sport Mode - Same Steering Feel?

hal

Ready to race!
Sport steering only seems to work when you put the DSG into Sport mode as well, at least for me. Or perhaps I should say that I only really notice it when I throw the DSG into S and step on it around some tight mountain roads. So I have no clue how that works with guys with the 6 speed.

DSG in S only changes the Engine mode to sport in mine. Doesn't affect steering feel.

But steering is noticeably heavier and a pain to drive at low speeds when I select Race or change it in the individual mode.

Zoolook

Ready to race!
I wasn't aware that changing modes affected the steering on the non DCC cars. I thought it just changed shift points on the DSG.

Why would you think putting steering into sports mode (especially on a Manual) would change the DSG shift points?

It's slightly heavier and more direct at higher speeds in sports mode than normal - it's pretty noticeable on twisty mountain or canyon style roads. You might not notice it mall-hopping on on the highway.

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
They must have modified it on the newer cars. It is VERY apparent on mine. I tried it for a few weeks and went to normal. Never looked back.

Same here. A pretty drastic difference.

I usually run in Individual mode with the steering set to Sport most of the time because it feels more like my MKV did. I do switch over to Normal mode though when I'm dealing with parking garages and other tight spaces.

Pyzon

Ready to race!
I've tried both but can't say I've noticed a difference myself so just leave it in Sport mode - because it 'has' to be better right ;-)

It's slightly heavier and more direct at higher speeds in sports mode than normal...
It's heavier, but it isn't 'more direct'. Steering software alters steering effort only.
No mechanical change at all thus no change on steering ratio (besides both GTI
and R have a variable ratio steering rack anyway, but this is still 'fixed' if you get
what I mean).

PouncingPanzer1

Go Kart Champion
I feel that sport and normal are night and day, especially in the steering. I rock sport most of the time, and individual on the freeway and I have the sport steering off for freeway, a bit too twitchy.

dr_mat

Go Kart Champion
Sport is heavier, agreed. It's still too light and has absolutely zero feel or feedback on any setting. This is a consequence of the electric power steering assistance mechanism and cannot be changed with software.

Last edited:

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
DSG in S only changes the Engine mode to sport in mine. Doesn't affect steering feel.

But steering is noticeably heavier and a pain to drive at low speeds when I select Race or change it in the individual mode.

A lot of people are confused over simple things here. When you move the DSG to S (which changes the DSG shift points), it's different then changing the Drive Mode (Normal, Sport, Custom). Which I why I said I notice the heavier steering more when I'm in S with the DSG because those are the times I'm really zipping around, so the heavy steering is really nice to prevent "twitches". I even drive around town in Sport Drive Mode. This makes sense because the gen 3 P/S rack is speed sensitive and the Drive Modes enhance or lessen the effect. That's how the people who make our racks, ZF explained it to me, only a shit ton more complicated with sensors and all that good stuff.

Putting your DSG in S will not turn on Sport Drive Mode unless it is already selected. The opposite is true with enabling Sport Drive Mode, at that point it will automatically change the DSG to S mode.