GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Notorious VAG's to 135i or not to 135i

BAM its mitch

Go Kart Champion
Not much more when you're talking about "fun to drive" - add in MT if you're a man and that's about it. Other stuff that matters typically needs to be addressed on any car: tires, brakes, sway bars, bushings, that kind of crap.

Even my Z06 needs all of that stuff for it to really be fun, of course a budget German car will.

A 135i is a budget German vehicle? No, the GTI is a budget German vehicle.

How about steering, polar moment of inertia, suspension geometry, shifter feel, throttle response, seats, gearing....the list could go on and on.

Based on your logic a V6 Charger would be more fun to drive than the GTI.

troyguitar

Go Kart Champion
V6 Camaro and Mustang are indeed, Charger is way heavier and has a shitty transmission so not so much.

135i is still a budget car, that's why it needs lsd and suspension upgrades along with tires and tuning to be great (i.e. 1M).

BAM its mitch

Go Kart Champion
V6 Camaro and Mustang are indeed, Charger is way heavier and has a shitty transmission so not so much.

135i is still a budget car, that's why it needs lsd and suspension upgrades along with tires and tuning to be great (i.e. 1M).

And you have driven both a V6 Mustang and Camaro and consider both to be more fun to drive than the GTI?

troyguitar

Go Kart Champion
Yeah I tested both. Mustang > Camaro > GTI in terms of pure driving fun. The only thing that kept me out of the Mustang was practicality and in hindsight I should have bought it anyway :lol: I'd probably still have it instead of going GTI -> S4 -> Z06 and still looking at other crap.

intoflatlines

Drag Race Newbie
IDK, I test drove a new Mustang 5.0 when I had my GTI and I didn't love it. Sure it was fun to have all that power on tap but honestly it wasn't that fun overall. The car was huge and while it is apparently very composed on a track, you can really feel how huge/heavy it is daily driving on the streets.

troyguitar

Go Kart Champion
V6 is like 150 lbs lighter, it helps. I was pretty set on a base V6 manual with the performance gears for awhile. Beastly car for the same price as a base GTI, no comparison in terms of performance IMO.

SwiftGTI

Go Kart Champion
IDK, I test drove a new Mustang 5.0 when I had my GTI and I didn't love it. Sure it was fun to have all that power on tap but honestly it wasn't that fun overall. The car was huge and while it is apparently very composed on a track, you can really feel how huge/heavy it is daily driving on the streets.

I had a similar impression when I test-drove a Mustang 5.0 GT. The brake-dive and body roll is very noticeable when you push it hard, and the car drives both heavy and large.

I also spent two days in a rental Mustang V6, which is supposed to handle better than the GT (less weight over the front axle). It's not that much better. Corner entry & turn-in is slightly improved, but it has the same issues with weight, body roll, and brake-dive. And the automatic transmission is really awful.

I would not take a V6 Mustang over a GTI personally.

Rockchops

Go Kart Champion
Without the m sport pack the suspension is overly soft and floaty IMO...with the m sport it rides pretty similar to the gti and is decently planted. Also the RFTs make a big difference.

intoflatlines

Drag Race Newbie
Your point was not clear. One second you're talking about how much m sport suspension makes handling better. Then the next sentence you say the RFTs make a difference as well. :)

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2