GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

OEM downpipe...

ClaytonBrown

Ready to race!
Dude posted a CL ad (http://tampa.craigslist.org/pnl/pts/5362251572.html) with a title of
2010 GTI downpipe
and contents:
"I have an oem downpipe for a 2010 VW gti. 180 obo. Local only..."

Although this seemed odd to me with the "oem" bit, I replied:
"Who’s the manufacturer? Link to part or part number please. Will it bolt on or do I need to do some cutting? (2013 GTI)
Highly interested, need this to get my GTI to stage 2."

He Replied:
"Sorry but this the oem (stock) downpipe. Is not an aftermarket part."

I'm confused... lol, for real tho, I am far from mechanically inclined...

I thought the GTI did not have a downpipe, hence why im in the market for one to get to Stage 2. Is this guy wrong or am I missing something here..

Thanks

NYCSuits

Go Kart Champion
The guy is selling the downpipe that came stock on his '10 GTI....it's the same exact downpipe as on your car. The seller probably went stage 2 and bought an aftermarket high-flow or non-catted downpipe

dafuture

Go Kart Champion
Every GTI comes with a downpipe from the factory, I think that's what you're missing. What makes the difference when going Stage 2 is that aftermarket downpipes are much less restrictive and have much better airflow. This is what allows the car to make extra power over Stage 1. No OEM VW downpipe will allow you to go Stage 2.

TSI_Guy

Go Kart Champion
$180 is expensive for a factory downpipe.

Your car comes with a 2.5 inch downpipe that has like 2-3 cats I believe. Can't remember atm. You want a 3 inch catless/high flow cat downpipe + the stage2 tune.

ClaytonBrown

Ready to race!
makes sense now

Yup, now it makes sense. Yeah, I definitely dont need to replace my stock downpipe with his stock downpipe.

I thought that the piece currently there had a different name or wasn't technically a down pipe.

Okay, thanks for the info. Still learnin