GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

OEM Wireless charger

bobloblawGTI

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
19 GTI SE 6MT
I am working on this retrofit and have the wiring to the MIB main unit completed. Is there an easy way to access the 12 V plug for the cigarette socket without removing the center console for NAR GTIs? In the videos of Golf Rs and RoW spec Golfs, it looks like there are additional panels that can be removed which would make it a lot easier.
If you're going the route of non-OEM wiring, it'd probably be easier to route the power over to the cabin fuse box and use a tap to an open fuse location rather than remove the center console to get to the 12v, no? Or at least, once I gave up on the dream of OEM wiring through the back of the fuse box (though god bless @Kushdaiin for his valiant efforts) it was actually pretty straightforward to get over to the BCM and fuse box since they're more or less next to each other.

brentgti

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI
If you're going the route of non-OEM wiring, it'd probably be easier to route the power over to the cabin fuse box and use a tap to an open fuse location rather than remove the center console to get to the 12v, no? Or at least, once I gave up on the dream of OEM wiring through the back of the fuse box (though god bless @Kushdaiin for his valiant efforts) it was actually pretty straightforward to get over to the BCM and fuse box since they're more or less next to each other.
It seems so, but I wasn't sure if I was missing something on the 12 V in the console. I have somewhat of an 'it's complicated' relationship with interior trim pieces and a video I saw did not give me confidence as a plastic tab was broken :oops:. Seems like the route you described may be the way to go.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
The EPB center console entire top pops off without needing to remove the console. It's a much better design than the one for manual parking brake. With manual parking brake, your assessment is correct. Center console pretty much has to come out to get to that 12V.

brentgti

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI
Had some time to work some more on this retrofit. I routed the harness cabling to the fuse box and connected 12 V and ground; I also have the cables to the MIB main unit connected. I do not have the white wire connected to the BCM but decided to verify that the wireless charger works since it sounds like the white wire may not be necessary. I am not seeing any wireless charging with my phone after connecting everything and turning the ignition on (with 5F Byte 15 Bit 5 coded). Verified the connections with a multimeter so I am a little stumped.

Is there a way I could verify that the wireless charger is not defective? Or should I continue with the hope that the white wire to the BCM will resolve the issue?

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Someone did post that the BCM wire was not necessary. I didn't try without it. Happened to try your phone then both orientations in the cubby?

My pixel 7 will only charge if facing one direction. I don't remember what direction that is but if facing the other way it will not charge.

The wife's iPhone (something, don't know which one it is) is a little smaller and it will charge facing both ways. Just has to do with where the coils are.

bobloblawGTI

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
19 GTI SE 6MT
Someone did post that the BCM wire was not necessary. I didn't try without it. Happened to try your phone then both orientations in the cubby?

My pixel 7 will only charge if facing one direction. I don't remember what direction that is but if facing the other way it will not charge.

The wife's iPhone (something, don't know which one it is) is a little smaller and it will charge facing both ways. Just has to do with where the coils are.
This is my experience as well; larger phones (including my iPhone 11 Pro Max) will only charge if I place it horizontally with the top to the left and pretty far back in there. May be worth fiddling with placement to see? If everything looks good at the fuse box then the only other place a disconnection might be is under the cubby to where everything plugs into the charging pad. Double check all connectors are snug, etc. on the cubby side. Otherwise yeah if your multimeter says there's power then maybe the pad is DOA somehow.

brentgti

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI
This is my experience as well; larger phones (including my iPhone 11 Pro Max) will only charge if I place it horizontally with the top to the left and pretty far back in there. May be worth fiddling with placement to see? If everything looks good at the fuse box then the only other place a disconnection might be is under the cubby to where everything plugs into the charging pad. Double check all connectors are snug, etc. on the cubby side. Otherwise yeah if your multimeter says there's power then maybe the pad is DOA somehow.
Thanks for the ideas! I just tried with my iPhone and a friend's Samsung Galaxy and both did not charge no matter what orientation the phones were placed in. I did check the wiring connector that plugs into the charging pad and it tested fine and appears to have the proper pinout. I think the charging pad is dead 😕

I did notice that the labeling on the pad - novero 11S might indicate that this an older revision of the part as it seems newer revisions are manufactured by molex. Decision time on whether to finish what I started and get a replacement charging pad or if I should use the original cubby and spend more time trying to get the USB-C port to work...

Last edited:

2018gti

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI Autobahn MT
@brentgti that sucks to hear, I know for sure I was able to 'bench-test' the pad before I put things back together and it did work. I had 12v from the ciggy lighter and the one wire that goes into the infotainment plugged in, and I touched the ground wire to the metal part of the handbrake and it started charging.

Have you by chance scanned the MIB/5F control module for any faults? It may say if there's an issue. Mine has a constant error code, but that's because I was lazy and hooked it up to ignition power, not constant 12v. It won't work at all I believe if it's not getting the signal from the MIB.

brentgti

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI
@brentgti that sucks to hear, I know for sure I was able to 'bench-test' the pad before I put things back together and it did work. I had 12v from the ciggy lighter and the one wire that goes into the infotainment plugged in, and I touched the ground wire to the metal part of the handbrake and it started charging.

Have you by chance scanned the MIB/5F control module for any faults? It may say if there's an issue. Mine has a constant error code, but that's because I was lazy and hooked it up to ignition power, not constant 12v. It won't work at all I believe if it's not getting the signal from the MIB.
Thanks for the suggestion (and for documenting your retrofit experience!). I did scan the 5F module and did not have any faults. Enabling Byte 15 Bit 0 seems to trigger a static fault (presumably because I am not connecting an amplifier), but I believe only Byte 15 Bit 5 is required. I did try it with Bit 0 enabled as well just to see, but no difference.

misor1994

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf GTD Variant
Hello everybody, has anybody tried to do the retrofit with the Chinese charging pad, part no. 5CG 980 611? It can be found on Aliexpress as Chinese OEM part and it is a little bit cheaper than usual 5NA 980 611

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Hello everybody, has anybody tried to do the retrofit with the Chinese charging pad, part no. 5CG 980 611? It can be found on Aliexpress as Chinese OEM part and it is a little bit cheaper than usual 5NA 980 611
No experience, but in one of my 100+ drive.ru bookmarks there was specific mention of getting the 5NA 980 611 part number. I don't recall the reason, unfortunately. Although my quick Googling suggests @Kushdaiin used the 5CG 980 611 for the retrofit on a Tiguan.

Kushdaiin

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7 R, MK7 GSW SEL
I'll check the charger in her car again tonight when she gets home just to make sure that's the part number in her car. To be fair, I did order from that link I provided in this post (#35).

misor1994

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf GTD Variant
Thank you. Currently, I have Inbay pad, but I am not fully convinced about it. It does the job well, however, my iPhone 14 pro hardly fits there, especially when in case.

Kushdaiin

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7 R, MK7 GSW SEL
Was able to check the charger in the tiguan. Turns out it was 5NA980611. Might have been the Ali seller just blanketing some of the available Qi charger part numbers?