GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Off topic question / need your help

boostedGTIguy

Dub or Die!
So I have an issue coming up rather quickly..

As some of you may know I am currently serving in the military.
We have Xmas leave approaching on Dec 19th - Jan 4th.
I'm trying to figure out what would be more reasonable, flying or driving.

I am currently stationed in central Texas and would be driving out to Los Angeles. After doing the math I can get there and back on 8 tanks of gas at approx 350 bucks.

Now I checked up on flights and since I am a Southwest mile holder I am stuck only using them. Round trip flight after taxes equates to.... you guessed it 350 bucks lol.

So here is the question, what do you think would be more reasonable? Flying or driving? I haven't driven alone farther than around 4 hours but i'm sure I would be fine on staying awake, and would stop for rest if absolutely needed. While in california I wouldn't have access to a car if I flew, so I would either have to take MTA everywhere or rent a car =( Which once again balances the tables.

So if you were in my situation what would you do? I think the drive would be kinda fun, just don't want to lose my mind on the way out there lol.

Any help or feedback would be appreciated guys =)

:happyanim: <------- FOR XMAS BREAK!!!

J-DUB

got splashback?
drive, its an experience you have forever.

o and watch out for the bats

skateforgirl

I gots Vtak
Ive been to every state in the US besides Hawaii. New Mexico and Arizona are beautiful states man. I would drive if you dont mind putting miles on your car plus you dont have to rent a car either. Gas prices seem to go down when it gets colder as well so it might be a little cheaper then you think. From Texas it may take you more then a day though. It takes us 3-3.5 days to get from NY to CA so if you drove faster then average you might be able to make it in 1 day. I say Drive :thumbsup:

Big A

Smoked dem cigarettes
I would fly...rental car is like 20 bucks a day if you HAVE to get one.

I wouldn't want to put that many miles on my car (and then back).

VMRWheels

Go Kart Champion
I drove cross-country a couple years ago from VA to CA. The drive from VA to TX was amazing and I loved every moment of it. However, the drive from TX to CA was insanely boring and monotonous. I'd still recommend you take to the roads though. Just bring a lot of music because there were only 3 radio stations when I passed through New Mexico.

You'll regret not having your car here in California during your stay.

boostedGTIguy

Dub or Die!
I'm really considering driving out of the shear enjoyment of it in my GTI =)

I know it will sounds lame, but any of you guys that have driven cross country have any advice?

I'm looking to built a list of sorts of things I should do in preperation of a long range trip from a non - econobox drivers kind of way.