GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Option to disable data transfer on USB-C?

m4in

Go Kart Newbie
Hey,

quick question. We're currently waiting (close now, weee) on the delivery of our GTE, and in preparation and excitement we ordered (and received now) a new dash cam (Viofo A139 Pro).

Here's the rollercoaster that we went through. We noticed in the test car, as well as on pictures, that the 12V is in a really stupid position - impossible to route the wire neatly there, so we were pretty bummed out about that. Then we realised, hooray, that this camera (as opposed to our current Nextbase GW522) can be powered through the USB ports, allowing for neat wiring. Really happy about that.

.. until i tried it in our current car (Ateca). Because you can connect your phone for AA/CP through those USB ports, they're not "pure charging ports", they also have a data connection. Because of that, the camera connects as a "mass storage device" and the car tries to start Android Auto or Mirror Link. Then i thought i'm smort, so i taped off the two data lines inside our USB connector - and lo and behold, it worked, the car doesn't try to connect to a "device" anymore and just goes on charging. Happy days, problem sorted, camera works, right?

Wrong. Just a few hours ago, when excitedly re-watching a GTE video for the umpteenth time, i realised that the Golf only has USB-C connections (as opposed to the USB-A connections in our Ateca). I can't tape off the data lanes in a USB-C cable.

I've googled now for at least three hours, trying to find a neat solution other than hardwiring (i don't feel comfortable doing it). Be it all kinds of combinations of low profile 12V adapters, USB-C data blockers, USB-C 90 degree connectors, etc pp - i'm at a loss now. I'm hoping that there's a "non-invasive" option to get that cam wired neatly by maybe disabling the data connection in the infotainment somewhere (bit of a long shot), so for the Golf 8 owners here.. can we disable them? I'm out of ideas otherwise.

Cheers.

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
can your camera's memory be formatted any other way than it's current configuration? Maybe he tight kind of formatting will not trigger the "mass storage device" designation when plugged in?

Hardwired is something worth looking more into, look into fuse taps (aka add-a-fuse) for more options than just splicing wiring.

Good luck

m4in

Go Kart Newbie
Don't think so since it's also readable by PC, already checked whether or not it's possible to disable something on the camera side - no luck there.

Fuse taps still require crimping, finding ground etc - as i said, i don't feel comfy doing that (on top of that i also don't have torx bits, so even if i'd find a bolt it's likely that i can't pull it). Especially not considering it's a lease.

I did however have an idea that i'd need to (preliminary) test tomorrow - the Golf, as well as our Ateca, does have USB ports in the back of the centre console too. If i can plug the camera in in our Ateca without it triggering the "mass storage device" bollocks through those, it should work in the Golf too. I don't see why it'd connect data from the rear seats, so fingers crossed. Still not as neat as i'd like, particularly because USB C cables with 2x 90 degree connectors are pretty rare, but at least it's entirely out of sight for me and we very rarely have someone in the backseats.

We'll see tomorrow, once the car's thawed lol.

m4in

Go Kart Newbie
Okay, so for anyone in a similar situation..

The rear USB ports do most likely work. I say most likely since i don't have my Golf yet, just another VAG car - but in that at least, it does work. Don't see why it wouldn't in the Golf, considering that it doesn't make sense to have a data connection on the rear USB ports.

It's something, at least.

orlinst

Passed Driver's Ed
The rear usb ports in my Golf are only for charging, they are not used as media ports by the infotainment system of the car.

m4in

Go Kart Newbie
Correct - it WOULD have worked, but it turns out the camera only works with USB-A to USB-C cables, not C to C for some reason. Did get a low profile 12V adaptor, works/looks decent enough. Camera being a Viofo 139 Pro.