GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Ordered the EOS 450D/Rebel XSi...

GotGTI?

caus GTI is raycekor. :-|
Awaiting arrival, getting curious as to what lenses would you photography professionals recommend?

Thanks in advance.

soze

Go Kart Champion
I'm no pro, but I'm still on the stock 18-55 with IS and the 50mm 1.8

ubergeek

broadcasting LIVE
L series lenses FTMFW!!

GotGTI?

dang yea, there are some nice prices on the 50mm, i assume that is a good low light lens? i'm new to the SLR scene.

and how would a lens hood benefit me, like scenarios?

BlueWabbit

back being low.
I never knew they had a 50mm 1.8 that's insane. Lol sorry for thread jacking but I never knew that and I think I might pick one up haha.

tinto

bitch please
EF-S 17-55 f2.8 IS is very nice (but expensive)
70-200 f4 IS L is awesome too.

Along with a 50mm f1.8, those two live in a crumpler bag with my 400D :)
I have hoods on both of those (but not the 50mm) to protect the lenses from stray dust/fingers more than anything else.
High quality filters on both since new too - for the same protection.
Both of those top lenses are worth roughly 3x more than my camera body.

But you can get great results with the kit lenses, so don't think you need to jump in and blow loads of $ on new lenses.
If you want to do more research - jump into
http://photography-on-the.net/forum/

GotGTI?

word, thanks for the input everyone. curious to see if absoluteczech, 06Rabbit and, dubsesd will chime in too...

Murf

Why so serious?
I'm looking at getting an XSi eventually as well. I have a Canon Rebel G2 35mm SLR Camera, with the 18-55mm lense, and a 300mm lense as well.

I'm told those lenses will work flawlessly with the Digital Rebels so I'm gonna try and find a cheap body only deal.

Love Canon SLRs, excellent cameras.

Chaseme

springs are the new bags
I just tried out the XSi for the first time today at a local camera shop. It's in my things-to-buy list as soon as fiscally possible.

I need a job first.

Barrett

veeeeeduuub
I have the same camera, got it for Christmas. I'm also looking for a new lens with a bit more zoom.

I was also thinking of getting some filters For now, I have the normal lens that came with it.

GotGTI?

welp i ordered the 50mm, was $84. i'm gonna go pick up a bag kit for it at sams club here soon, comes with a filter and an extra battery pack for something like $74. :thumbsup:

06Rabbit

Ready to race!
50 1.8 is good for the price. Fun little lens to play around with.

I'm sure you have the camera in-hand already by now, but for reassurance, you made a good choice :smile:

Lens recommendations? It really depends on what you like to shoot. Wide angles vs telephotos, low light, etc etc. Once you start playing around with what you have, you get a better feel of what you feel you're lacking in your equipment (AF speed, not fast enough shutter speeds, etc). Canon 'L' series lenses are incredible, expensive but incredible.

There are a number of alternatives that offer good imaqe quality (IQ) for lower cost than 'L' lenses. When I had a 20D, one of my favourite lens was the Tokina 12-24 like Infrared suggested. Very sharp, very wide, colours were rich.

But...I'm a sucker for 'L'. Once you go 'L', there's no going back :biggrin:

Last edited: