GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

P0717 CEL on my 2008 GTI 6spd DSG.Transmission Speed Sensor. Where is it?

TORCHSPEED

Car(s)
2008 GTI w/ DSG
I'm new here, and this is my first post. I bought a 2008 GTI with the DSG transmission a couple of weeks back for a daily beater. My Mazdaspeed3 flame shooter is down for fixes and upgraded. I have always done my own work all of the way down to engine rebuilds, upgrading turbos, all bolt-ons, meth injection, (some) tuning, etc. However, this issue perplexes me. I just don't know where it is, and nothing on the net, Facebook Groups, or YouTube videos have been able to help.

CEL Code: P0717
The Transmission Speed Sensor, aka Transmission Turbine Sensor, is not providing a signal.

Car's behavior:
Once it gets up to operating temp, it goes into trans limp mode. I'm stuck in 3rd gear, reverse doesn't work, and the middle screen flashes all of the gear selections. YouTube videos either show the actual problem without any explanation on the fix, or some guy points to the Crankshaft Position Sensor. I mean, I could replace that for $30, but likely isn't the problem for what I know.

I did order and receive what I believe is the front Transmission Speed Sensor (two-wire connector with the BLUE connector). I assume this is the front TSS, and there is another that is the rear TSS with a WHITE connector. Where are either of these sensors located... on the transmission or in the transmission?

20210803_184325.jpg

GTI's

Drag Racing Champion
mechatronic mk5.PNG

mk5 g182 dsg.PNG

Number2 is the input sensor G182 & G509 clutch oil temp sensor, the mech unit must be removed to change out the sensor. You will need a proper scan tool to do the refill & perform basic settings.

Last edited:

TORCHSPEED

Car(s)
2008 GTI w/ DSG
Before I buy and commit to replacing that sensor on the mech, what about the front and rear trans sensors? I think at least one is located right under the trans mount. I'm also going to check the fuses for shorts.

roccoferrari

Car(s)
VW Scirocco
Hello!
I have the same problem, repaired the mechatronics, but nothing changed. Did you solved the problem by replacing the speed sensor?