GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

PayPal scams?

Status
Not open for further replies.

inc55

Go Kart Champion
I'm a bit confused and maybe someone can help me out. I'm selling my magnaflow exhaust in a local trade and the potential buyer wants to pay with PayPal for "security reasons". He wants to make sure that if he finds something wrong with the exhaust after the transaction that he will have some reassurance. Now I'm a bit confused. What will PayPal do to help him? How do they know he didn't damage it after buying it? What kinda problems can an exhaust have? Doesn't it make more sense to inspect the exhaust and then buy it? Heck it's already attached to my car for further proof that its functioning properly.

miikez.

Autocross Newbie
He can do something through paypal called "dispute a transaction". This always him to request a full refund from you if there is something wrong with the item. Once he opens up a case, paypal will contact you and tell you to give him back his money. I would just be carful that he doesn't open a dispute, and then gets his money back and keeps the exhaust.

SkullV

Thunderbunny.....
I would tell the guy he may inspect the exhaust all he wants but all sales are final. I would also put that in writing. I understand the need for protection in a cross country transaction, but a local guy not so much.

dknguyenn

Ready to race!
I would tell the guy he may inspect the exhaust all he wants but all sales are final. I would also put that in writing. I understand the need for protection in a cross country transaction, but a local guy not so much.

This! Or you could take record of the condition of the exhaust before hand. Take a picture marked with a date just to verify that if anything happened to the exhaust he'd be the one that damaged it and not you. Better safe than sorry.

HOT H2O

Drag Race Newbie
local trade? Eff PayPal, unless he wants to 'gift' you the money. Definitely sounds like a scam.

BAM its mitch

Go Kart Champion
He may also want to use paypal because he wants to put it on a credit card. I had a guy buy a motorcycle from me via paypal. It may not be the best idea on his part, but I don't know his finances and I am definitely not his financial adviser. I think if he were to file a dispute, it would get shut down fairly quickly since he likely wouldn't have any ground to stand on.

You could also make him sign a bill of sale or something that states the sale is final and "as is."

nvturbo

Go Kart Champion
If the guy wants to pay with Paypal, let him. Just tell him the exhaust is sold AS-IS and there are no refunds if he decides to change his mind about it. Some people are just never satisfied....buying things without thinking.

rs999

Go Kart Champion
Also, if you want protection on both ends of the deal, do not accept the money as gift option from PayPal.

Just make the buyer pay a little more to cover the fees.

2013R

Drag Race Newbie
Don't even sell to him. You can tell he's gonna find a new dent and try and return it. Wait for the next cash buyer.

Saabstory

.:R32 OG Member # 002
OP: All of the above; and if you decide to go through with the sale as Paypal, as soon as you are done take the money out of paypal and put it in your bank account.

If he files a dispute, paypal will take the money from your paypal account before even confirming his side of the story; but they can't take from your bank account...

troyguitar

Go Kart Champion
Gifting is better for you as a seller, gifts do not protect the buyer nearly as much. Regular paypal favors buyers in most disputes. If you use paypal, make everything very clear in writing on the paypal transaction. Used item, sold as-is, no warranty, no returns, item picked up in person, etc.

inc55

Go Kart Champion
I told him to go eff himself (in a nice way). His main reason is wanting peace of mind. Only has 100+ posts here too. No way I'm gonna sell then worry about a dispute within 20 days. Thx for all the advice. This should help me with future sales.

Status
Not open for further replies.