GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Picture calibration on new TV.

AlfaMikeF0xtr0t

Ready to race!
Anyone have any good recommendations on what to use or how to go about doing this? I'd rather not pay someplace like Best Buy $250 to come and do it and hope they know what they are doing.

LED 3D Smart TV if it matters.

racinrabbit1

Ready to race!
I used AVSHD. Made the world of difference. All of the preset shit on tv's these days over exaggerate color/hue/contrast.

Go here. It's a bit of a process but you will appreciate it when you are finished

dragon69185

Go Kart Champion
I used AVSHD. Made the world of difference. All of the preset shit on tv's these days over exaggerate color/hue/contrast.

Go here. It's a bit of a process but you will appreciate it when you are finished

^^^This works really well and definitely helps the quality of picture on any TV that you may have. When a pro does their calibration, they actually start by doing the steps that were listed in the link.

BUT, the last part where you enter the service menu is something I usually suggest to leave to pros unless you have thoroughly researched what you are doing. Think of it like rooting/jailbreak a phone, but with no reset capability. When they enter the service menu, they also place a sensor on your screen that is hooked up to a laptop to gauge the light output and color from the pixels it is reading. You can actually pick up the same sensor and software online for around $200-500 if you really wanted to (or cheaper ones for $50-100).

littleazn248

Go Kart Champion

GTIMKV20

APR Stage I
Wow, $250 for someone to calibrate (essentially set it up to look decent) it?? Looks like I found a new profession :)

smrtypants44

Go Kart Champion
If you look at the cnet reviews for tvs they usually post the picture settings they like the best/used for the review.

greasyginzo

Go Kart Champion
Best Buy doesn't use any equipment to calibrate so it's obviously a total waste. If you go on AVS and find a guy D-Nice he sometimes travels around and calibrates screens and he has a flawless reputation. There are some other guys that travel to just spen sometime on that forum you may even find recommended settings for what ever display you have.

SayaGTI

www.meatspin.com
Google your tv model with "calibration settings" after it. I found my settings through a Sharp tv forum and my picture looks awesome.

melancholygypsy

Bring out the Gimp
It would help if you supplied a brand and model of the TV.

Any calibration on a brand new TV won't do you much good because pixel shift pretty significantly throughout the first 100 hours of use.

If you look at any real calibration settings or call someone to come out and do it they will have you run the set for at least 100 hours before calibration and usually for a constant 100 hours on slides. (slides = different colors full screen changing every couple seconds.)

If you don't care that much any site with settings for your TV will do.

greasyginzo

Go Kart Champion

Any calibration on a brand new TV won't do you much good because pixel shift pretty significantly throughout the first 100 hours of use.

If you look at any real calibration settings or call someone to come out and do it they will have you run the set for at least 100 hours before calibration and usually for a constant 100 hours on slides. (slides = different colors full screen changing every couple seconds.)

LED screens don't need to be broken in. Hell it's even kinda bullshit on Plasma

melancholygypsy

Bring out the Gimp
LED screens don't need to be broken in. Hell it's even kinda bullshit on Plasma

Interesting, I frequent AVS and D-Nice's settings always require this so I took it as truth.

dragon69185

Go Kart Champion

Interesting, I frequent AVS and D-Nice's settings always require this so I took it as truth.

This. From what I have seen as well and from what I have been told, even LED TVs need that 100 hour break in period before a calibration can be done on a TV.