GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Planning a road trip from LA to Jackson Hole, Wyoming....how does the GTI fare in Winter?

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
If load shifts, braking is effortless.

go check out how the evo 9 induces twist/yaw on YouTube. If you’re like me, visualizing it makes more sense.
We were talking about braking in slippery conditions.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
We were talking about braking in slippery conditions.
Look at what I told you to look up. You’ll see exactly how the evo vectors the load for the sake of brake clamping being effective. On snow and ice, some awd systems can do the same. Thusly allowing you to cut speed and stop sooner.

Corprin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
A car
Subaru with snows > GTI with snows.

And I hate Subaru products.

had Michelin X-Ice on the GTI last season, rotated them onto the Alltrack this one. GTI has Pilot Alpin 4’s and I love them. Good in cold ice and snow.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
Subaru with snows > GTI with snows.

And I hate Subaru products.

had Michelin X-Ice on the GTI last season, rotated them onto the Alltrack this one. GTI has Pilot Alpin 4’s and I love them. Good in cold ice and snow.
In the winter, my brother puts his golf r away and takes my wrx 😂

gti330ex

Go Kart Newbie
Not really. Yes, weight, clearance and a zillion other things affect braking, but if you are comparing two identical cars, then the only difference can be the tires.
Yep, really. You said to turn and stop. To turn w accuracy and ease (safe overall control in the snow), vehicle mass and clearance play a big part in the equation - not just the tires.

DiscusInferno

Go Kart Newbie
First, not too many people around LA uses winter tires, even the skiiers and snowboarders. They rather put chains (or cables) on their cars and trucks first, including the subarus.

This video was taken at Big Bear Lake right before the New Year... it's satisfying seeing the first car that lost control was a subaru crosstrek on its crappy OE all-seasons.

And California is rather aggressive calling for chain controls.

Chains + GTI? Unless you get 205 width tires, VW probably don't recommend chains or cables with 225 width tires due to suspension clearance. You can get away with autosocks, or a chain that does not wrap around the rear of the tire, like a Spike Spiders or Konig K-summit (much pricier options). You can probably use a low profile cable, like a SCC Super Z-6 also, but that can be taking a risk against VW's recommendations.

Also, getting washer fluid good to below freezing around LA is very difficult. You can't even special order it from O'Reilly's anymore. 32 degree washer fluid is the norm around LA. You have to visit a store in an area that sees wintry conditions to get winter washer fluid. I had to restock winter deicer fluid when I went to Lake Tahoe before Christmas, at a Wal-Mart in Carson City, NV.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
First, not too many people around LA uses winter tires, even the skiiers and snowboarders. They rather put chains (or cables) on their cars and trucks first, including the subarus.

This video was taken at Big Bear Lake right before the New Year... it's satisfying seeing the first car that lost control was a subaru crosstrek on its crappy OE all-seasons.

Chains + GTI? Unless you get 205 width tires, VW probably don't recommend chains or cables with 225 width tires due to suspension clearance. You can get away with autosocks, or a chain that does not wrap around the rear of the tire, like a Spike Spiders or Konig K-summit (much pricier options). You can probably use a low profile cable, like a SCC Super Z-6 also, but that can be taking a risk against VW's recommendations.

Also, getting washer fluid good to below freezing around LA is very difficult. You can't even special order it from O'Reilly's anymore. 32 degree washer fluid is the norm around LA. You have to visit a store in an area that sees wintry conditions to get winter washer fluid. I had to restock winter deicer fluid when I went to Lake Tahoe before Christmas, at a Wal-Mart in Carson City, NV.
That’s crazy! But yeah, awd with all seasons can’t get away with driving on icy and heavily covered roads either. Light snow on all seasons, sure. But for the best effect you’ll definitely want snow tires.

My brother has a 4x4 trd off-road Tacoma with the super charger and all. It’s tires aren’t winters but they were triple peak stamped. Even in 4x4 it would slip. It was way worse in rwd mode. He got proper studded tires and now that thing eats snow.

cb1111

Yep, really. You said to turn and stop. To turn w accuracy and ease (safe overall control in the snow), vehicle mass and clearance play a big part in the equation - not just the tires.
One of us is having comprehension problems. If you have two identical cars (with the identical clearance and mass) then the only variable is the tires.

If you're driving something like a Grand Cherokee with the variable height suspension, then changing the height might affect cornering and braking - but that wasn't the scenario.

cb1111

That video should be mandatory viewing for anyone who says "I've got AWD, I don' need no stinkin' snow tires"