Plastic oil pan took a hit

SouthFL_Mk7.5

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI S
8A41588F-1900-461F-A2E7-A9A9EF73696B.jpeg
D50C173E-4B8F-4041-A3A6-6268EB5D90CE.jpeg
F3DAEE45-5C79-4240-B7D5-F7C6422C72B5.jpeg

Driving on the freeway on the express lanes (no ability to change lanes and zero shoulder). Going at speed, I see what ironically looked to be a metal oil pan right on center of the lane as the SUV in front of me just cleared it. I braced myself and clang clang took a direct hit as it passed under the GTI.
Moments later the Warning “Oil Sensor” came on. Luckily I was able to get out of the express lanes and find a large clearing behind a barrier and saw the oil slick and resulting damage.

In the hours since I’ve been reading up on metal oil pan replacements and some seem to have their quirks. I’m swaying towards a factory replacement and maybe a metal skid plate. Any thoughts? I have a metal skid plate on my R56 Mini Cooper and it has taken a few hits! Definitely has saved some carnage from taking place.

Last edited:

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
View attachment 300097View attachment 300098View attachment 300099

Driving on the freeway on the express lanes (no ability to change lanes and zero shoulder). Going at speed, I see what ironically looked to be a metal oil pan right on center of the lane as the SUV in front of me just cleared it. I braced myself and clang clang took a direct hit as it passed under the GTI.
Moments later the Warning “Oil Sensor” came on. Luckily I was able to get out of the express lanes and find a large clearing behind a barrier and saw the oil slick and resulting damage.

In the hours since I’ve been reading up on metal oil pan replacements and some seem to have their quirks. I’m swaying towards a factory replacement and maybe a metal skid plate. Any thoughts? I have a metal skid plate on my R56 Mini Cooper and it has taken a few hits! Definitely has saved some carnage from taking place.

I replaced my plastic with standard oil pan due to running Spartan races on farms with large river rock and ruts I have to dodge. Haven't had an issue yet with oil seepage or leaking.....biggest thing is for the shop to take their time and allow the liquid gasket to seal properly.

geokilla

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI DSG
I considered changing to a metal oil pan but instead did the extended under engine skid tray which should provide adequate protection for the oil pan.

Kdubya

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI
I got The metal pan and kit from FCP Euro. Took about an hour ish to install. It was cake and eases the mind until i can afford a metal skid plate.

The same thing happened to me last year.

Go ahead and replace the windage tray while you’re in there.

Attachments

• IMG_5520.jpeg
    IMG_5520.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 44
  • IMG_5552.jpeg
    IMG_5552.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 44

scrllock

Autocross Champion
I've got an OE-ish steel pan, basically the mk5/6 2.0t retrofit that everyone sells, along with a set of bolts and a felpro gasket, if you're interested. Service manual says to replace the windage tray and the o-rings on it too while you're in there.

SouthFL_Mk7.5

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI S
Thanks for the input and experiences guys.
I ended up going with a plastic OE replacement and will be protecting it with the ECS reinforced metal “Street Shield” skid plate. I’ll post pics of the skid plate once it’s installed.

StealthGTI

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
I have a steel pan. I haven't found the right balance of RTV sealant that doesn't eventually leak. I guess I'm paranoid about using too much. I have since installed an oil pan gasket from a Tiguan with success, though it requires checking the torque on the oil pan screws from time to time. Eventually, I added a skid plate, too. It was during lockdowns and I was bored. :rolleyes: If I were to do it all over again, I'd skip the steel pan and just get the plate. My daughter reinforced this thought when she drove her lowered Mk7 Golf a little too fast down a driveway with her steel pan. She had no idea that she had bumped anything until the next morning when she came outside to a puddle of oil under the car. Sure the steel pan took the hit like a champ and held oil long enough to get her 200 miles down the road to home; but the plastic oil level sensor was cracked and its mounting post bent. Without a doubt, that's far better than all of the oil just getting dumped at once. Still, I think that a skid plate might have distributed that impact and made enough noise to scare her... "Hey dumb-ass; don't drive like that!" or "See, your dad TOLD you not to lower your car so much!" :ROFLMAO:

ZERO815

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
Got the alltrack plate for cheap from a wrecker. Had everything laying around for weeks. During the preparing for our next trip to Italy I took the time to finally install it. 2 days later, on a snowy mountain road in the alps, all over sudden there was this huge truck wheel well ice block in the middle of the road. I quickly realized breaking is not an option, and there is incoming traffic… smash over it! The bumper and plate took a pretty hard hit and the car got slightly pushed up. It got very silent in the car afterwards. No issue for the plastic pan.

EpicTech

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 6sp w/PP
OMG don't get me talking about oil pan swaps lol. I"m now leaning towards getting a skid plate to accompany my new oem oil pan.