GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

POLE - Measles and vaccinations - read thread for pole.

Legal ramifications for unvaccinated causing harm/death to those vaccinated?

• Absolutely. It is irresponsible to put everyone at risk.

Votes: 27 77.1%
  • No way in hell. Opens up a can of worms.

Votes: 6 17.1%
  • I am on the fence. My kid dies? Yes. Not my kid? No care.

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • WTF?

Votes: 1 2.9%

• Total voters

Buffgli

Ready to race!
apples and oranges. You don't have to bang someone to give them measles. Also if measles lingers in the air for upwards of 2 hours, how the hell are you going to be able to place blame on someone for contracting it to someone else?

Itd be like arresting someone for giving them the common cold, since the routes of transmission are the same. HIV can't live outside the body for more than a couple mins, if that, so it has to be direct contact where blood goes into an open wound, intercourse etc..

Last edited:

Shini

Go Kart Champion
I think legal ramifications would be nice, but I also think that would open up a can of worms. Voted for can of worms even though I despise individuals who don't vaccinate.

STING

Ready to race!
Jeezus.
When I grew up myself and everybody I know had the measles at some point.
Sure there can be complications but there can be complications from chicken pox, glandular fever the flu etc.
All my children have had the mumps measles and Rubella vaccine as is par for the course in the UK.
The people who don't let their kids have the vaccine are total bellends in my opinion but with todays health care you'd be very very unlucky to die from measles if the majority of us survived during the 1970's :laugh:

mk6medic

Go Kart Champion
It's a crime to give someone AIDS against their wishes. Why not measles?

If there is someone who contracts measles, the medical community will know about it. They will also know if you have had the vaccine. So, if an unvaccinated person gets measles and then someone who has gotten the vaccine gets it from being where the infected person was, say at an elementary school they both attend, and then dies from it you bet your ass there should be something to punish them.

troyguitar

Go Kart Champion
All they have to do is require kids be vaccinated in order to attend public schools - I think that's a reasonable compromise and IIRC it is already the case with some other vaccines.

Beyond that, the private sector could force the issue too - daycares, universities, or even employers in general could require people be vaccinated without waiting around for Congress to do anything.

mk6medic

Go Kart Champion
Yep. I totally agree with Troy. Making it mandatory to attend public school is pure genius.

WAP

Go Kart Champion
Anti-vaccine megachurch hit with measles epidemic, now offering free vaccinations

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2013/...c-now-offering-free-vaccinations?detail=email

BWAAHAHAHAHHAAAA

Oh the delicious irony.

All they have to do is require kids be vaccinated in order to attend public schools - I think that's a reasonable compromise and IIRC it is already the case with some other vaccines.

Beyond that, the private sector could force the issue too - daycares, universities, or even employers in general could require people be vaccinated without waiting around for Congress to do anything.

:word:

Before this shit blew up in the last couple weeks I honestly thought this was already the case. I had to get my vaccinations updated when I entered Jr. High. :iono:

WAP

Go Kart Champion
Yep. I totally agree with Troy. Making it mandatory to attend public school is pure genius.

Yes, it's a great idea and a good start but I fear it isn't enough. What about kids who go to private or religious schools or are home schooled? It's gotta be mandatory for every kid, don't you think?