GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Portland International Raceway - a tale of 2 HPDEs

Crossle32

Passed Driver's Ed
Last year, on relatively short notice, I decided to do a HPDE at Portland International Raceway (PIR).

I did a few very minor modifications to my stock, 25,000 mile, 2016 Golf R manual. Flushed the brake fluid and installed Ferodo 2500 pads and, put a set of 235/45/17 Toyo Proxes Sport (240) tires on a set of 8"Audi wheels. My plan was to run just one HPDE for fun and call it good. Had a good time, the car ran well and did ok for a stock R. We ran the straight track on PIR and the weather was perfect - overcast and mid 60s.

After that one event, I wondered what a few changes would do to the car. So I decided to do a second HPDE in 2023 which occurred last Friday. For 2023 I added a Neuspeed 25 mm rear bar, Moog end links all around, Eurosport Sport Street Camber Kit, zeroed out toe front and rear, had 2 deg neg front camber and 1.75 deg neg rear camber. Added a set of Konig Heliogram 8.5 x 17 wheels (stayed with the same tires). The wheels were 11 lb lighter per wheel than the Audi wheels, so a big change. Again I changed the oil and filter, did a brake fluid flush and went to Red Line gear lube in the trans.

The weather last Friday could not have been more different. 92 degrees and sunny. The car felt much better, less understeer and more balanced. Lap times were reduced by 2 seconds and top speed increased by 6 mph (131 mph). I may have gone a bit faster, but was following a Porsche which went for the downshift at the end of the main straight and got a lower gear than planned. The explosion and oil dump was spectacular. That session was called early to retrieve the Porsche and thereafter the grip on that corner and the subsequent two corners was not great - and the heat did not help.

The other notable thing was physical. Last year my upper arms and shoulders ached for several days following the HPDE. This year, not a problem.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
That sucks for the Porsche.

How was the oil temperature for you?

I used to get really sore after track days. To the point biceps would feel like I tore something. Working out again has fixed all that. I totally get why F1 (and all racing) drivers have to be so fit

Waltari

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
Were you tracking lap times? How was it running w/out the chicane? Every event I've run we always ran with the chicane and I'd be curious to run without to see what speed I could push on the front. Definitely seems like w the extra MPH, the braking into 4/5 could be a bit more exciting. I'm usually an not sore the next day, but am definitely mentally spent and physically exhausted by the end of the event. I think I usually cruise Marine drive out to NE at about 30mph when I leave at the end of the day. I've been trying to volunteer a bit more this year and was working the flag station at turn 12 for Rose Cup and the HPDE on Sunday.

Crossle32

Passed Driver's Ed
The highest oil temp that I saw was 155. although I limited my rev limit to 6,000 due to the heat.

My best time before the Porsche and heat was a 1.27.1. There weren't a lot of laps without traffic of one sort or another.

I'm still refining braking and turn into turn 4. I'm trying to unlearn thousands of laps in a formula car in that corner. My best time in a formula car was a 1,12,00, but that was before they modified turn 7.

Brian_

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 R
The highest oil temp that I saw was 155. although I limited my rev limit to 6,000 due to the heat.
Celsius?! That's definitely pushing that oil very hard. Usually back off in the 135+ range on hot days.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Celsius?! That's definitely pushing that oil very hard. Usually back off in the 135+ range on hot days.
I thought he meant 255F. Because 155C is 310C. Don't think any of our cars will allow that before throwing a warning & limiting rpms

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
That was 255F and it was only briefly in the last and hottest session.
Yeah. 255 would be low for me on track in 95° + heat. More like 275 most of the time if pushing.

Last track day at 75°, was around 255, but track didn't have as many flat out & high rpm sections