GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Praise Be: VW Has Overhauled The Golf 8's Annoying Infotainment System

Maturedriver

Go Kart Champion
How long will these updates take to install? I can see Mk8 Golfs piled up in VW workshops plugged into laptops for hours at a time. What a shame VW hadn’t copied Tesla by enabling over-the-air software updates.

bentin

Autocross Champion
How long will these updates take to install? I can see Mk8 Golfs piled up in VW workshops plugged into laptops for hours at a time. What a shame VW hadn’t copied Tesla by enabling over-the-air software updates.
I thought the MK8 was OTA? The ID4 is supposed to be.

T-bro

Passed Driver's Ed
Update takes about 4-5 hours to complete, confirmed with dealer. My friend has the 16xx software and the dealer told him they have an update for him. Probably the 1810. But get this, the dealer is scared to update any golf because they have not tested the new software 😂. My friend has volunteered to have his car updated because he has like 20 different issues with his car from day one. So much in fact that he has started a number od lawsuits to either get a new car or his money back. Will update when he gets the update.

@bentin the golf does not get OTA updates, only the ID family for now

jhunter88

I picked up my 2021 Golf GTI a couple of weeks ago, and despite loving the drive, I’m clearly not alone in my software issues.

I believe it’s standard equip on the GTI (it also has gesture controls which I think indicates Pro) so I believe I have Discover Pro: however, there seems to be absolutely no way to get the Nav on the driver info display. I am cycling through the View options, but the Map just isn’t there. Not even the option to have the map on the driver display OR infotainment - absolutely cannot be displayed on the dash no matter what I do. I see so many videos where it just appears as part of the cycle of views, so have no idea what I’m missing?

5H0035816B
H56

Maturedriver

Go Kart Champion
When I bought my GTE I assumed I could see the navigation map on the dash. Turns out this is only available if I had opted for the (over priced) Discover Pro. No great loss since the map is very clear to see on the infotainment screen.

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
Maybe I’m missing something obvious but I’ve never understood why some owners feel it’s important to have the sat nav display on both the infotainment screen and the main instrumentation panel - seems to be a big bug bear with some owners on other forums. Are there certain important functions that are accessed and operated via the infotainment screen that can’t be used when sat nav maps are being displayed?

jhunter88

When I bought my GTE I assumed I could see the navigation map on the dash. Turns out this is only available if I had opted for the (over priced) Discover Pro. No great loss since the map is very clear to see on the infotainment
You’re right, the infotainment map is absolutely fine. I didn’t spec my vehicle, so was mainly wondering - how do I *know* if it has Discover Media or Discover Pro? If it has Discover Media that’s not a problem. It does wireless car play which is all I really need. I understand that also means no Map on the dash - but I’m strongly under the impression it has Discover Pro - is there a way to categorically tell which model of infotainment I have?

Handydave

Go Kart Newbie
The map on the infotainment screen is better than the one on the driver instrument display. Not only does the infotainment map give you the eta for your route and traffic congestion along the route (in a strip map) but it also gives you more advance turn information than the map in the driver instrument display. And the map view in the driver instrument display has rather unattractive amd less detailed square dials for speed, revs etc compared to the round dials in the standard view. Personally I don’t bother with it and just stick to the infotainment map.

Handydave

Go Kart Newbie
So anyone with the 16xx software (My20/21) will first get a software update to 1810 that will also update various control units thus upgrading the car system to that of the golf 8 with 17xx/180x (happening in Germany already)
Then all Golf 8's (My20/21/22) with 180x will get the Improved software 1890.
This will happen between January and June 2022 and It seems that VW will send out letters.
This software has already been tested on the same hardware 816 H56 installed on all Golf 8.
The hardware is mostly the same in all the Golf 8 built so far but have different Firmware and software.
I would think that VW would want to replace all of these with just one firmware and software version so that it will be a lot easier to improve later on.
In regards to the new hardware with Samsung chip (quad core) this will be installed later on in the Golf 8's My23.
This is what I have researched from different forums and people that work close with VW.
Thanks to @Massimo 2323 for this informative post.

Luckily our Mk8 has been behaving very well since it got the 1668 software update and new steering wheel in January 2021, and the comms module software update in August 2021.

So I think I’ll be waiting to see the results of the 1810/1890 software before rushing to get the update. The possible thing it might improve on our car is to reduce the lagginess of the infotainment, including the delay in booting up the nav screen. But I realise this could only be through more efficient programming as the hardware won’t be changed.

p.eTSI

Passed Driver's Ed
So the US 5H0035877 part is the same as the European 5H0035816F (My22) Discovery Pro model.

So anyone with the 16xx software (My20/21) will first get a software update to 1810 that will also update various control units thus upgrading the car system to that of the golf 8 with 17xx/180x (happening in Germany already)
Then all Golf 8's (My20/21/22) with 180x will get the Improved software 1890.
This will happen between January and June 2022 and It seems that VW will send out letters.
This software has already been tested on the same hardware 816 H56 installed on all Golf 8.
The hardware is mostly the same in all the Golf 8 built so far but have different Firmware and software.
I would think that VW would want to replace all of these with just one firmware and software version so that it will be a lot easier to improve later on.
In regards to the new hardware with Samsung chip (quad core) this will be installed later on in the Golf 8's My23.
This is what I have researched from different forums and people that work close with VW.

Your insightful posts have been a huge help on this forum over the past year - thank you for all your help!

M4ttV

Passed Driver's Ed
If only VW were as helpful!

While I'm here, what is the point / effect of these ACC Driving profile settings....................and I'm still getting this message popping up - haven't seen it in months (pic 3)

Thanks for any replies.
ACC Driving Profile sets the way the car accelerates up to the speed limit set in ACC. (Either if you had been slowed by a car in front and move to another lane, or if you move into a new faster speed limit e.g.. from 50 to 70mph.) Eco = slowest acceleration, Sport = fastest acceleration.

hothatchtv

Hi, I'm from Belgium and I have a Golf 8R and next week, I will get the update to 1890. Let's see if it's a major improvement as they say it is.

T-bro

Passed Driver's Ed
Just got back from the dealer. Update to 1890 successful!

Device part number: 5H0035816J
Software: 1890

Unfortunately I am not in the UK so I can't comment on the MPH/KMH ACC error.

I will report back in a couple of days to let you know if the responsiveness of the infotainment has improved (on the short drive back from the dealer it seemed more responsive).

hothatchtv

Just got back from the dealer. Update to 1890 successful!

Device part number: 5H0035816J
Software: 1890

Unfortunately I am not in the UK so I can't comment on the MPH/KMH ACC error.

I will report back in a couple of days to let you know if the responsiveness of the infotainment has improved (on the short drive back from the dealer it seemed more responsive).
Any updates from your side. I don't see much of an improvement with 1890.
What really surprises me, is that voice commands in Dutch don't work for airco settings. Like, "set temperature to 21°", this just doesn't work. Does these work in English? Or is only german supported?

T-bro

Passed Driver's Ed
Yes I have responded in another thread. Here is my experience so far:

"Quick update from my side having the 1890 update for two weeks now.

Today the car decided that it did not have issues with connectivity to VW servers for a long time and decided to not connect to them, just for good measures. I am od course talking about the “gray” globe issue. After three resets of the infotainment (via holding power button) the car still did not want to connect while the speakers clicked after each reset.
Mind you these were not the same clicks that happen when the esim fails and the globe and privacy settings dissapear.

So it seems that not even the 1890 is bug proof. I have lost hope that VW will sort this software but mind you I will still be the first in line for every new software update just to annoy my dealer who thinks that I am in the wrong every time I contact them."

Also I have had the rear camera error appear once, but clicking the camera button in parking menu brought back the camera feed.