GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Probably gonna take some heat for this one...

randomhobo130

Drag Racing Champion
So I have a 17 SE 6MT. This is my 4th MT vehicle. I taught myself how to drive stick after I decided to pull the trigger on an 09 Jetta SE years ago. That being said, I never learned how to heel-toe. I've seen a few topics just talking about it which triggered me to ask, is it that much of a difference maker? Do you guys have any tips on how to properly learn? I probably have some other bad habits too but I'll have to figure out what those are lol.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

eljay1

Passed Driver's Ed
randomhobo130 said:
... I never learned how to heel-toe. Do you guys have any tips on how to properly learn? ...
- Place left side of right foot on right side of the brake pedal while braking.
- Downshift and, while braking, roll right foot to quickly blip the accelerator pedal with right side of right foot.
- Release clutch before revs drop and either continue braking (if necessary) or release brake and begin accelerating.
- Practise.

:cool:

Last edited:

randomhobo130

Drag Racing Champion
Thanks for the replies. I feel like I've had a harder time shifting this car smoothly than any other car so I'm trying to fine tune my gear changes.

Chad13762

Go Kart Champion
I used to be fairly proficient a heal-toe (in other cars.) After having 3-generations (4-different) MT Golfs, I have never been comfortable with heal-toe. I thought I just suck, or I'm getting old. Recently I drove a 914, and now my kids Miata. With those, heal-toe is so natural, I just do it instinctually. Back in the VW...my heal-toe again sucks.

Pedal position makes all the difference. I keep contemplating getting a gas pedal extension to see if it really helps.

randomhobo130

Drag Racing Champion
I used to be fairly proficient a heal-toe (in other cars.) After having 3-generations (4-different) MT Golfs, I have never been comfortable with heal-toe. I thought I just suck, or I'm getting old. Recently I drove a 914, and now my kids Miata. With those, heal-toe is so natural, I just do it instinctually. Back in the VW...my heal-toe again sucks.

Pedal position makes all the difference. I keep contemplating getting a gas pedal extension to see if it really helps.
Ok, the makes me feel a little better about it lol. This is my first performance oriented car which i thought was just really showing my flaws. After a year of driving it, i was really starting to think i just suck lol. Still plan on trying to get better but definitely helps knowing it's not just me.

Chad13762

Go Kart Champion
I probably should add, heal-toe on the street doesn't provide any major benefits to daily driving, unless you are trying to learn and practice for competitive driving. Mostly, it's just for the fun of learning the technique, and to have bragging rights to say you know how to do it. It might be good to know for steep hill starts when there's a car 6" behind you, but hill-assist does that job nicely for our cars.

In some regards, learning and practicing on the street is tough, because application of brakes, and timing/application throttle at downshift varies so widely with driving conditions. To me, seems easier during aggressive driving, but that's not always appropriate on public roads. It's actually seems more difficult when taking it easy, since all the actions happen much slower.

If you do practice on the street, make sure you do it under "safe" conditions. Especially at first, you may over/under apply the brakes, and over/under rev the engine. The result could be some jerky and unpredictable driving until you get the hang of it.

How do I know this? My 15-1/2 year old is determined to practice when I'm with him. I'm surprised I don't have whiplash yet. ;)

Last edited: