GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

PS3/HDMI Question

HACBassoon

Go Kart Champion
Ok, well, I think I'm gonna jump on a PS3 while they are 100 dollars cheaper and backwards compatible still, but I was wondering, can you use the digital optical audio out while using HDMI for video? I have an older surround sound receiver that doesn't have HDMI capabilities, but a TV that does. I want HDMI video with optical sound, is that possible?

KroenenMKV

Ready to race!
As far as I can tell, you can use an optical cable for sound while using hdmi for video. I went under the sound settings on my ps3 and there was an option for this. I don't have an optical cable so I couldn't test it though.

RedRabidRabbit

I want FREE HAM!!
I don't have a PS3 but if you can't do it this way, Sony should be shot. I run both my PVR and HD DVD player with HDMI to the TV, and coax to the receiver.

KroenenMKV

Ready to race!
If anything, Microsoft should be "shot" for selling a product with a 33% failure rate.

Last edited:

m-avant

VAG+M3=awesomes
can you use the digital optical audio out while using HDMI for video?

Yes you can. You have to go into the Sound Options to activate the Optical output. Also - you have to go into the Video Settings to activate the HDMI output.

HACBassoon

Go Kart Champion
Haha, thanks guys for the quick replies. Was just curious.

KroenenMKV

Ready to race!
I don't have a PS3 but if you can't do it this way, Sony should be shot. I run both my PVR and HD DVD player with HDMI to the TV, and coax to the receiver.

LOL, how does your post contribute to this thread? Thought so. Practice what you preach.... :thumbdown: