GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Puppy question

KharatosGTI

Rally Car Newbie
I and the gf already have had a cat with us for a long time and we are now looking to get a puppy as well, there is still one question that I don't understand though.

How do dogs go to the restroom? I know the whole dog walking thing but it's just hard to believe that dogs will only pee/poop once or twice a day, someone please enlighten me.

Accel

Rally Car Champion
You train them so they know to only go to the bathroom ouside, by taking them outside if they start going inside, and praise them when they go outside.

Unless you get an absolute retard of a dog, it will alert you as to when it has to go, and you can let it outside to go. If you dont have a yard to keep a dog, or the time to be with the dog to take it to go to the bathroom, maybe a dog isnt for you, they arent self-sufficient like cats are.

KharatosGTI

Rally Car Newbie
Accel said:
You train them so they know to only go to the bathroom ouside, by taking them outside if they start going inside, and praise them when they go outside.

Unless you get an absolute retard of a dog, it will alert you as to when it has to go, and you can let it outside to go. If you dont have a yard to keep a dog, or the time to be with the dog to take it to go to the bathroom, maybe a dog isnt for you, they arent self-sufficient like cats are.

Nah I'm not expecting him to be self-sufficient (and trust me when I say that our cat is anything but self-sufficient, gotta look after him 24/7), I'm just curious as to how to properly take care of a dog.

Freek

Formula 5000 Driver
actually there is alot more to it than that....granted training is a great thing...but

puppies need to go out about 4 or 5 times a day....when they get about 6 months old they may only have to go out 3 times a day....and as time goes on they have to go out less during the day cuz they can hold it longer due to their bladders being bigger as they get older

u really should go get a book on the type of puppy u are looking for....it will give lots of useful info as to what needs to be to take care of the dog....also do lots of research on the net for info as to what type of dogs are better for certain situations

KharatosGTI

Rally Car Newbie
Freek said:
actually there is alot more to it than that....granted training is a great thing...but

puppies need to go out about 4 or 5 times a day....when they get about 6 months old they may only have to go out 3 times a day....and as time goes on they have to go out less during the day cuz they can hold it longer due to their bladders being bigger as they get older

u really should go get a book on the type of puppy u are looking for....it will give lots of useful info as to what needs to be to take care of the dog....also do lots of research on the net for info as to what type of dogs are better for certain situations

Thanks man, We're working with a local rescued dog association, they have at least 25 puppies available for adoption and they said they rate their puppies based on breed and behavior so they'll recommend a puppy that will be the best fit for our lifestyle. I'm not here to say oh I don't want hassles or anything like that, sorry if I came off sounding that way, I'm just curious.

tydale3

Rally Car Champion
Puppys are alot of work for at least 18 months, They need lots of attention. If your not home during the day a good way to train them is too use a crate(cage). There are many books on how to crate train a puppy. They will learn not to poop or pee where they have too sleep fairly fast that way. It also gives them a place of there own. Not too be used for punishment thou. Just remember they are alot of work!!!!!

excal06

Autocross Champion
Yeap, the most important is crate training, never use crate as a form of punishment. If you have to go and cannot watch the dog while you wanna train the dog how to housebreak, put the dog in the crate. And when they do poop/pee outside, praise them like crazy :tongue: Good luck.

MHS216

Anchors Aweigh
My dog is 3 and she LOVES sleeping in her crate. I agree with everything that all the other posters have said.

As a puppy I would say almost 8 times daily would be more accurate, but again it depends on type of dog. Now at 3, she still goes out probably 5 times a day. Dogs need exercise as well. This is beyond just a walk to the end of the block and back. 15-20 solid minutes of fetch/tug o war/hide and seek is perfect. Something to stimulate their brains and keep them healthy.

As others have said crate training is essential. Don't use it for punishment and it will pay off in the end. If I have company or need to clean the house or any other situation where I don't need the dog following me around I tell her to go to the crate. Half the time she is already in there just because she loves it. It is her place to hang out and sleep, and she really gets comfortable. I never have to close the door, dogs will just get it.

Getting a dog can be overwhelming at first. It's crucial not to beat them when they shit on the white carpet, or beat them when they cry at night. Having a puppy really can be likend to having a newborn. It's just the same though as a child; the work you put in when they are a puppy really pays off when they get older.

Good luck with it, I hope we didn't scare you off. It will be extremely rewarding in the end!!

KharatosGTI

Rally Car Newbie
MHS216 said:
My dog is 3 and she LOVES sleeping in her crate. I agree with everything that all the other posters have said.

As a puppy I would say almost 8 times daily would be more accurate, but again it depends on type of dog. Now at 3, she still goes out probably 5 times a day. Dogs need exercise as well. This is beyond just a walk to the end of the block and back. 15-20 solid minutes of fetch/tug o war/hide and seek is perfect. Something to stimulate their brains and keep them healthy.

As others have said crate training is essential. Don't use it for punishment and it will pay off in the end. If I have company or need to clean the house or any other situation where I don't need the dog following me around I tell her to go to the crate. Half the time she is already in there just because she loves it. It is her place to hang out and sleep, and she really gets comfortable. I never have to close the door, dogs will just get it.

Getting a dog can be overwhelming at first. It's crucial not to beat them when they shit on the white carpet, or beat them when they cry at night. Having a puppy really can be likend to having a newborn. It's just the same though as a child; the work you put in when they are a puppy really pays off when they get older.

Good luck with it, I hope we didn't scare you off. It will be extremely rewarding in the end!!

No way, I've had 4 cats and numerous other pets since I was a little and I'm a animal lover. Just never had the chance to have a dog although I always wanted one, now I'm out on my own with the gf I'm mentally and financially capable of having a dog, we've dwelled on the thought for what must have been a year already but finally decided this week that we're ready.

We've had our cat since he was a 8 week old kitten and he's given us a lot of headaches and injuries growing up, but we still love him and wouldn't leave him no matter what. A dog is just gonna complete "the family" and make everything better. I'm fully expecting a lot of work, but I'm not put off by any of that.

Thanks guys for the advice!!!

Freek

Formula 5000 Driver
as other have said...crate training is the best....i have an 8 month old black lob and a 2 year old chocolate lab...both were crate trained and both love their crates

puppies take alot of work for the first 6 months of their lives...but its well worth it to watch them grow up

so what breed are u looking at?

KharatosGTI

Rally Car Newbie
Do you guys know of any other method of locating puppies? I've only used petfinder.com so far and since the previous candidates are already spoken for I haven't found anything else that we like yet.

nomad

FIA World Rally Car Newbie
i had a Tamagotchi once, and he poop'd all the time! :O... so i beat him incesantly xD

newtogolf

FIA World Rally Car Champion
look after your dog like you would look after your FAST

NYDUB

Drag Racing Champion
A number of folks have recommened CRATE Training, and that is the Best way to do things. Many links on the web for this. For the first few years my Dog used her crate as her den and she would use it just to get away from everyone. Now at 12 years old she hardly ever uses it, but has to favorite spots in the house she curls up in. One is bright and lit by the sun, and the other is the dark corner at the end of a hallway.

The Puppy's training is also part of YOUR Training. Your puppy will give you signs that they have to do something. You need to be aware of those signs and be prepared to do the scoop and dash to get the pup OUTSIDE!

Good Luck.