GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

R32 Owners which motor oil do you perfer to use?

SCHATZEIN

Ready to race!
Car(s)
R32
AMSOIL Syntheic 5W-40 European spec. to meet the VW R32 required perfomance spec
VW 502.00. This same oil meets the other VW performance specs of 5405.00 and 505.01The oil is also speced to the BMW LL-04, Porsche, Volvo, MB 229.31, 229.51, and Saab requirements.

In the USA, there is no "retail" motor oil that can be purchased that is manufactured to the VW 502.00 spec. The US VW dealers do use the Castrol synthetic oil with this VW performance spec, BUT, it is available only to the dealers--not available in our retail stores.

The above facts were obtained from Castrol USA per my inquiry.

Stylist07

Banned
Car(s)
MKV R32 DBP #1238
I get my Castrol Syntech from my dealer and its a $1 cheaper per Quart
than getting it at the other Retailer stores.

carchrism5

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI
AMSOIL Syntheic 5W-40 European spec. to meet the VW R32 required perfomance spec
VW 502.00. This same oil meets the other VW performance specs of 5405.00 and 505.01The oil is also speced to the BMW LL-04, Porsche, Volvo, MB 229.31, 229.51, and Saab requirements.

In the USA, there is no "retail" motor oil that can be purchased that is manufactured to the VW 502.00 spec. The US VW dealers do use the Castrol synthetic oil with this VW performance spec, BUT, it is available only to the dealers--not available in our retail stores.

The above facts were obtained from Castrol USA per my inquiry.

Castrol 5W40 Fully Synthetic is available in stores, I have purchased it before. Also note that many dealers do not use the fully synthetic Castrol but rather "Synetc Blend". I am also nearly positive that Mobil 1 0W40 is VW 502.00 approved, and many people run it.

Overall I would say most ppl run Castrol, Mobil One, Amsoil and Lubro Molly. All of which are easily available at stores (at least around here).

jshish23

n00b
Car(s)
'08 R32
owners manual specifies 5w-40 full synthetic...
Is the best place for an oil change at the dealeR?

TablaRasa

Ready to race!
I do mostly highway miles....do you recommend extending the period of time to change the oil? say every 10K? My sister's mini-cooper S recommends every 15K and I believe she uses the same oil type of oil....

Saabstory

.:R32 OG Member # 002
Car(s)
MKVI Golf TDI 6MT
I use AMSOIL 5W40 European Car Formula Full Synthetic in mine. This oil meets or exceeds the VW 502.00 spec required for our cars; HOWEVER it is not a VW approved oil. Important distinction :wink:

There are more than a dozen oils sold retail in the USA that are VW approved 502.00 spec oils. Here is the Complete 502.00 Approved List though keep in mind these are worldwide; some of these are not available in the US. This list HERE breaks it out a bit more for easy reading; though it may have changed a bit (older list).

Jshish: Entirely up to you how you want to do it; DIY, Dealer or a reputable shop. Look at prices and take your pick; one example I know if is Induktion Motorsports is IIRC in HoCo MD so may be close to you.

TablaRasa: Take a look at This Thread for more info on extending oil use. It can certainly be done; just up to you on whether you want to trust it, or test it... :wink:

Last edited:

silver_z33

Less mpg
Car(s)
MKVI GLI
Damn were really only supposed to change it every 10k?Thats a plus lol

Saabstory

.:R32 OG Member # 002
Car(s)
MKVI Golf TDI 6MT
Yep; factory service interval is 10,000 miles; most people on here (especially if modifying their car) prefer to go for 5000 but as UOAs have shown it isn't really necessary. :thumbsup: