GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Radar Detector

razr390

Go Kart Champion
I recently got a radar detector my dad had in Europe (brought over from the U.S.) and he brought it back with him when he went to Europe a month ago... I was eager to use it, as it's a good one, from what I've heard.

Due to the hot Florida sun, I don't want to take a risk of leaving it in my car during sunny days on the windshield, so I just put it by the gear change lever by the ESC off option. It's a Cobra 99XX model, it's about 4-5 years old but it still works perfectly. I just want to know if heat will cause anything to happen to it should I leave it on the support that came with it? I just felt it one day and it was REALLY hot and I felt like that would be bad for any electronic?

Any opinions/support will help, thanks guys! :thumbup:

razr390

Go Kart Champion
bump

razr390

Go Kart Champion
A 20 minute bump? Not even answering because of that...

Tapped with my thumbs

I'm sorry it's just I'm eager to know by tomorrow morning, since I have to be up early and I don't get a chance to check the forum.

P.S. you just gave me another bump :p

KYGTIGuy

Go Kart Champion
I'm sorry it's just I'm eager to know by tomorrow morning, since I have to be up early and I don't get a chance to check the forum.

P.S. you just gave me another bump :p

Dont you know when you are being punished? :)

Most devices say dont get them above a certain temp. Do you still have the box? Can you google it to see what the temp limit is on that one?

Your car has lots of electronics on the interior that deal with tha heat so Id say its possibly ok to leave it. Get a sun shade or some nice tint are options too

razr390

Go Kart Champion
Dont you know when you are being punished? :)

Most devices say dont get them above a certain temp. Do you still have the box? Can you google it to see what the temp limit is on that one?

Your car has lots of electronics on the interior that deal with tha heat so Id say its possibly ok to leave it. Get a sun shade or some nice tint are options too

No, and neither does my dad :p I think my best bet is too leave it in the storage place by the ESC switch :) It works just as well (I drove by a few detectors that caused noise when it was in the windshield and it went off even in the storage area. So best bet is to keep it there I suppose. Thank you for replying !:)

KYGTIGuy

Go Kart Champion
No, and neither does my dad :p I think my best bet is too leave it in the storage place by the ESC switch :) It works just as well (I drove by a few detectors that caused noise when it was in the windshield and it went off even in the storage area. So best bet is to keep it there I suppose. Thank you for replying !:)

A sun shade may not be your best option if your worried about the radar getting hot while driving......

razr390

Go Kart Champion
A sun shade may not be your best option if your worried about the radar getting hot while driving......

No mate, you don't understand, I have the detector located by the gear change lever, that little storage compartment by the power outlet and ESC/ESP off switch, and it works perfectly fine there, so I'll just keep it there. It's not in the sun there

GTINAPLES

Ready to race!
I have on right next to rear view mirror and I live in Naples, FL and no problem what so ever with heat. They can take it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

razr390

Go Kart Champion
I have on right next to rear view mirror and I live in Naples, FL and no problem what so ever with heat. They can take it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Thank you for your input :)

Elchinophil

Ready to race!
I live in Arizona where it gets 140 in the car. Radars are suppose to withstand up to 160 degrees in car so you should be fine. I have a beltronics that i've been using for a few years . It lasted through 3 summers with out taking the radar off the windshield. Still working today:)

razr390

Go Kart Champion
Is Cobra a good company? I don't know much about RD's, it was just passed down to me...

Do Work Son

Go Kart Champion
Florida police still use radar? Just about every cop here uses a laser.

lilfleck

Go Kart Champion
Also of concern, countries outside the US may use different frequencies... the detector might not have USA bands included. I am not sure.I know that my radar has a USA mode...