GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Rare Ara S3 Vortex XL build

Rare Ara S3

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Audi S3, GTI
We don't know for sure which knock he might have. Spark knock would be detonation knock which could be an issue with fuel, timing, or the plugs themselves and rod knock is an issue with the bearings and/or too much P2W clearance. @Rare Ara S3 pull your plugs and check them like what @daconchslop mentioned. If they have anything but normal condition, take a borescope and look down into the cylinder.
Nick didn’t seem concerned when I specifically asked about knock in the logs. Seems like if you never have any knock that the tune would be really conservative ?
Also it consumes zero oil from what I can see between what have been short change intervals this far.

Rare Ara S3

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Audi S3, GTI
After a much needed vacation to the great Oregon outdoors, I’m back home and swapped out the plugs. Old ones have 5k and the gap is .025-026 but I didn’t install so I cannot verify the gap when new. The one with a little black on the porcelain was cylinder 1. Now back to logging and hopefully moar boost.

Attachments

• 177ED991-EA58-4135-838D-007CBDBDE05D.jpeg
    177ED991-EA58-4135-838D-007CBDBDE05D.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 78
  • 8F4F2298-EA0A-4627-A5F5-5055D8FF8B3C.jpeg
    8F4F2298-EA0A-4627-A5F5-5055D8FF8B3C.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 82
  • 2784D7D4-D687-433B-AD19-3FA8A63865CC.jpeg
    2784D7D4-D687-433B-AD19-3FA8A63865CC.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 83
  • 34C0653C-157C-4930-BAC1-259D8C522C35.jpeg
    34C0653C-157C-4930-BAC1-259D8C522C35.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 80

Rare Ara S3

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Audi S3, GTI
Swapped out the pipe to the throttle body for the APR one along with better coupler good clamps. Did a leak test. All good. Things are progressing. This thing drives great now.

Attachments

• 1D0580C5-E356-41F9-AD49-34FDFF9D43D8.jpeg
    1D0580C5-E356-41F9-AD49-34FDFF9D43D8.jpeg
    801 KB · Views: 101

scrllock

Autocross Champion
Nick didn’t seem concerned when I specifically asked about knock in the logs. Seems like if you never have any knock that the tune would be really conservative ?
Also it consumes zero oil from what I can see between what have been short change intervals this far.
Depends on the gas, you shouldn't see any knock at all with a healthy ignition system on ethanol, but if your plugs are iffy or you got some crap winter 93 you might see some. If you never see any on pump I'd be less worried about being conservative and more worried they've numbed the knock sensors.

Rare Ara S3

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Audi S3, GTI
You working on the E85 tune yet or still on the pump gas tune?
No. Just last touches on pump. Probably mess with E85 next spring. It’s getting cold already up here in Michigan and that doesn’t seem to go well with E85. I feel like the moment I do E blend or full E that cobb will finally release their flex capability. So perhaps if I wait… Also I’m considering getting the trackslag downpipe and changing the catback. I know supposedly the stock muffler flows fine but when you look at the internals of it it makes you wonder how much there is to gain with a flow through design.

Rare Ara S3

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Audi S3, GTI
Depends on the gas, you shouldn't see any knock at all with a healthy ignition system on ethanol, but if your plugs are iffy or you got some crap winter 93 you might see some. If you never see any on pump I'd be less worried about being conservative and more worried they've numbed the knock sensors.
Crappy winter blend most likely. I did another log after refueling and it was better. This latest revision it looks like he bumped up the boost but pulled a little timing. The AP indicated 33.8 but my logs really show 31-32 max for the pulls.

PowerDemon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI, Camaro ZL1
No. Just last touches on pump. Probably mess with E85 next spring. It’s getting cold already up here in Michigan and that doesn’t seem to go well with E85. I feel like the moment I do E blend or full E that cobb will finally release their flex capability. So perhaps if I wait… Also I’m considering getting the trackslag downpipe and changing the catback. I know supposedly the stock muffler flows fine but when you look at the internals of it it makes you wonder how much there is to gain with a flow through design.

Sweet. I think I’m going to upgrade my exhaust too. I was reading on here that Hoon picked up 10whp with a cutout just before the muffler so I think there is power to be had. The Borla Pro XS muffler seems like it quiets well considering the straight through design.

Rare Ara S3

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Audi S3, GTI
Sweet. I think I’m going to upgrade my exhaust too. I was reading on here that Hoon picked up 10whp with a cutout just before the muffler so I think there is power to be had. The Borla Pro XS muffler seems like it quiets well considering the straight through design.

I’m thinking TS downpipe. Add the vibrant resonator then pick a catback. I kinda want to keep valves so that limits me. I also have a great custom exhaust place near me that has already worked on this car and my truck. Needs to be drone free and not obnoxious. I’m 40 and the noisy pops and bang thing is not for me.

PowerDemon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI, Camaro ZL1
You’ll like the Vibrant resonator. It cuts drone and makes for a nice tone outside the vehicle. The volume for me is perfect with the stock muffler, but I want the extra flow.

Rare Ara S3

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Audi S3, GTI
You’ll like the Vibrant resonator. It cuts drone and makes for a nice tone outside the vehicle. The volume for me is perfect with the stock muffler, but I want the extra flow.

I actually have the vibrant ultra quiet between the DP and the muffler and it knocked the drone almost completely out. Contrary to popular belief.

Rare Ara S3

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Audi S3, GTI
Picked up these newer style S3 wheels. That’s foam not snow.

Attachments

• 166827D1-2618-49E0-B5DC-8C23A75CDD1E.jpeg
    166827D1-2618-49E0-B5DC-8C23A75CDD1E.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 115

Rare Ara S3

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Audi S3, GTI
i really like the wheels on that. but then again, im a big fan of the a3/s3/rs3 so the body style and color are a win in my book =)

Thanks.
Running these for winter with snow rubber.

Rare Ara S3

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Audi S3, GTI
Finally got around to swapping ethanol sensor. Last year I couldn’t get the ethanol on my P3 to work. They sent me a new adapter but it didn’t help. So they sent me a new sensor. I was tired of working all the bugs out of the car and left it. Well the sensor was the issue. Trackslag DP is on back order. About to pull the trigger on an ethanol tune. Seems like there is quite a delay in people receiving their base maps from EQT lately so by the time I get the Trackslag maybe I’ll have the tune.

Attachments

• 7774669F-E7CF-4EB4-A6FE-77E381BD8471.jpeg
    7774669F-E7CF-4EB4-A6FE-77E381BD8471.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 55