GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Read the Owners Manual!

funnycar

Autocross Champion
If all the members read the complete manual therefore knows everything about the GTI, there would be no questions to ask so we could ascertain who be the intellegent humans we'd consider to lead us unto page 2 of a useless thread concerning the installation of Gorilla floor mats over the previously installed carpeted mats that a normal, lower class member may be cyberly lynched. :biggrin:

bigdyno

FIA World Rally Car Newbie
I take it to the dealer and say" replace the wiper blades, set the tires psi for two people and while you are at it, calibrate the compass for me as it makes me very dizzy when I do it my self".

What do I win?

:drinking:

funnycar

Autocross Champion
Scotaku said:
How about a pop quiz challenge on content of the manual? :biggrin:

What is the procedure for replacing the front wiper blades?

The proper tire inflation pressure for a GTI with two passengers is...

Describe the steps required to calibrate the internal electronic compass.

Tire pressure should be on the driver's door jamb. Too bad those wonderful fellows at VW that prepped my car are illiterate as my tire pressures were 29, 31, 40 & 42. It's allegedly 35 lb for those who haven't checked. -- cars with 18" wheels.

Why calibrate the compass? I doubt it's accurate within reason. Other readouts are off by a bunch. GD thermometer is off 4-11 degrees (yes, I allow time for adjustment if in garage or parked on pavement in sun), average MPG of each tank of gas is low by 4.8 mpg. Thank God for that!! I've got 25.2 mpg on the first 3 tanks.

And I've read the speedometer is off, I haven't passed one of those "you are going ..." signs. Sure would would help since I drove by a cop at supposedly 60 in a 45 and he didn't give chase.

As for changing the wipers,,, you got me. I'll have to read the MF manual as to which corner of the car to jack up 7.32", that is,,, after researching the lift point during the compass calibration. :biggrin:

My question: Gas tank had an estimated 5 miles of travel left when I filled up. I pumped in 13.581 gallons. How close was that?

bigdyno

FIA World Rally Car Newbie
Sorry, I forgot to pose it as a question. If I were to do it myself, I would turn the car on and then off, then within 10 seconds (that's 12 metric seconds)press the wiper lever down and release. This will bring the wipers to the service position, press the release button and voila! more non-recycleable crap!

the correct tire pressure is 245 kPa all around, regardless of two or four passengers. I think they would have to be too big to actually fit in the car before you would have to change pressure.

From a standstill, chose the settings display in the mesmerizing friggin' indicator and scroll down to compass heading. Scroll to the calibrate heading and then make sure there is no one parked near you. do not do this in the parking garage down town as they are always full and carnage will result. Press the ok button and drive in circles until you either puke or the display indicates it is calibrated. Do not exceed 10 km/h when doing this as you will surely puke before calibration is complete.

Please note that although this is verbatim from my manual, I do have a canadian model and as such it may not be the same as any of the other countries.

funnycar

Autocross Champion
Scotaku said:
Next question... um...

What is the service internval for the passenger cabin air filter?

If you can find the filter, every so often rinse the filter with bong water... :biggrin:

sammo

Go Kart Champion
funnycar said:
My question: Gas tank had an estimated 5 miles of travel left when I filled up. I pumped in 13.581 gallons. How close was that?

I heard that a lot of gas gauges will tell you the miles left down to the last gallon, so you don't run out of gas. Since the tank is 14.5 gallons, I would assume that to be true here.