GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Rear Subframe Bushing (G35)

ben_m

Ready to race!
My wife's '07 G35x rear subframe bushing has torn and leaked (Common issue). What kind of problems does it present? Best I saw was it causes some excessive wheel hop when gunning it and a lack of "tightness" in the suspension.

Are there any other complications that could arise?

I'm looking at 1k+ to replace subframe with a new bushing. My bigger concern is the massive amount of rust surrounding the control arms which might force me to replace extra parts and thus drive up the cost. I would also consider replacing the rear shocks since everything it pretty much going to be taken apart plus the need for an alignment.

I know this is the GTI forum but the G-forums don't get much traffic it seems these days.

Opinions much appreciated.

ben_m

Ready to race!
90k. Given our needs I'll probably be keeping the car 2-7 years more anyway. Been paid off for a while and motor/trans are solid for at least another 100K.

brobst

Go Kart Champion
Yeah around them miles i could see suspension refresher being reasonable.

The bushing issue will cause the wheel hop issue. Idk about long term effects of damage bushing. I would suspect subframe issue over time.

As long as you can justify the repair vs car lifetime, you should do it. Definitely if you depend on that vehicle. Personal experience.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

brobst

Go Kart Champion
Yeah at 90k I imagine some bushings mostly. Just did my mk4 gti. Had to redo control arm bushings, strut mounts bearings, etc.

JS12

Ready to race!
I had a '04 G35 that I took in for some maintenance and the mechanic found that some bushings were completely disintegrated. I want to say it was the lower control arms but I really can't remember. They weren't cheap to replace but I remember thinking I should do it because the old ones didn't look good.

I didn't notice any difference before or after replacing them and traded the car in within a year with 130k miles on it after the transmission started to act up. If I would have known I was going to trade it in, I probably would have skipped replacing those. If you plan to keep it a while, it's probably best to go ahead and do it.

ben_m

Ready to race!
Yea, I was pricing out the parts and labor are probably just north of 2K. I really want to keep the car for a bunch more years. Realistically we'll probably pick up a 3row CUV or something at some point for kid related stuff and keep the G35/GTI for commuter cars.

brobst

Go Kart Champion
Note, if replacing lower control arm bushings, sometimes its cheaper just to buy and install new control arms. My quotes to get new bushings pressed in were more than having new arms put on.

ben_m

Ready to race!
Looks like the dealer was trying to pull a fast one on me. Local garage said bushing was fine. I did do shocks and struts. Man makes a nice difference. Added in rear Rotors and pads, car stops probably 15-20ft sooner from 60mph