GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

reasons not to get an sti

Artysta

Ready to race!
One thing I guess i forgot to ask is how much more would the sti cost on insurance?

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
call your agent for a quote :D

4D17HY4

Ready to race!
when i asked (while i was deciding between GTI and WRX), the GTI was more expensive to insure - apparently because of higher costs of repair. I don't know whether an STI would be more than a WRX due to risk and cost.

Ronkerjake

Ready to race!
I was hoping anyone would know an approximate jump before I go that far.

I'm 23 years old with no tickets or accidents, and with the 2nd to cheapest coverage on USAA for me is around 400-450 a month.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
I was hoping anyone would know an approximate jump before I go that far.

:rolleyes: Well, since I’m not an underwriter, and not familiar with your region as far as premiums, regional accident rates, your age, and your accident history, its really hard to say.

Taking a quick 4 minute call to your personal auto insurance agent or carrier, would give you that information REAL quick and they should be able to give you rough quotes with the differences between both vehicles. I mean, I work in the insurance industry, but I can’t do everything for you…

That said, I do imagine the WRX will have a higher premium than the GTI. And the STI should be substantially higher.

Halvie

WOOSA
Interior I guess...don't think the new STI interior is nearly as bad as they use to be though.

If you are looking at the hatch version I would say looks too. Ugly ugly hatches. Good looking sedan.

4D17HY4

Ready to race!
shifter and knobs and everything else. GTI just seems like a more mature, sophisticated, grown-up car.

Artysta

Ready to race!
SO I finally got a chance to take this bad boy for a spin and all I have to say is WOW!! but not because the sti, because I'm so glad I got a gti instead.

Let me give you a quick overview of my thoughts on the sti.

Exterior - Well as I said in my original post I really liked the aggresive, sporty look of the 2011 sedan but not a fan of the hatchback.

Interior - Looks nice from outside of the car, but once you sit in one you quickly realize how much more luxurious the gti interior really is. Everything from the knob shifter to the radio is mediocre. I noticed the steering wheel looks like a cheap version of the Gti steering wheel as well. The bottom line is the car looks like it was made in the 90's.

The Drive - I couldn't really push the car to the limit because the sales guy was sitting next to me. First impression - this feels like a tractor. This car feels totally unrefined. I didn't like the way the clutch felt- really stiff, how the shift knob vibrates and how the shift throws feel clumsy.
After getting out of the city doing about 60-70km/h the guy told me to throw it in 3rd and step on it. So I did around 3000 rpms and to my dissapointment the car felt sort of sluggish, definitely lacking torque when compared to my car. I'm trying to figure out if its because its a bigger turbo and takes more time to spool and hence more turbo lag. The ride itself is as stiff as my lowered gti which I don't mind but the handling felt a little more responsive then the gti.

Final verdict-Definitely not a car for me. Although the car itself is $8,000 more then the gti my monthly payment would only go up $40/month with a 1000 deposit, not bad but I dont think that car is worth it. I also asked the guy about insurance and he assured me that the sti would actually be cheaper then the gti due to the safety features on the car ..... I highly doubt that. I'm glad i drove one because now I have so much more appreciation for my car :)

johnny_p

Go Kart Champion
The WRX/STI cars are really fast. It was VERY noticeable to me on test drives. An absolute blast to drive, totally hooligan car. However, the interior, and the shifter, made me scratch it off my list. The interior was such a let down, the radio was gross looking. Not to mention the gas mileage. I was looking for a DD.. the GTI was just the better DD, if a bit down on power and grip compared to the WRX.

4D17HY4

Ready to race!
Good to hear :) Echoed my impression.