GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Red steering wheel dashboard light is on! lost power steering

Zee10

Car(s)
2011 vw golf
Hey !
I got a 2017 GTI recently and it has the red steering wheel light on , the steering is completely gone and it's so freaking hard to steer. I have scanned the codes and it comes up as " Lost communication with power steering module " and punch of other codes related to the steering column control module. I can't really drive the car anywhere.
Anyone has an Idea what I'm dealing with here ? anything would help !

Attachments

• 20210608_170453.jpg
    20210608_170453.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 234
  • 20210608_165155.jpg
    20210608_165155.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 241
  • 20210608_165201.jpg
    20210608_165201.jpg
    994.4 KB · Views: 255

2slowvw

Car(s)
2022 Tesla Model 3
I think basically with the steering rack you can check if the connections are good, and if they are its basically a replace the whole steering rack type of job unfortunately.

gixxerfool

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R
If I recall correctly the power steering control module is the rack. I would start with the obvious items, connectors at the rack, damaged wires and fuses. They’re real easy to check. I would also check your battery as low voltage does really weird things in these cars. If all that checks, I would try cycling the battery and see what comes back.

ryansonfire

Go Kart Newbie
Hey !
I got a 2017 GTI recently and it has the red steering wheel light on , the steering is completely gone and it's so freaking hard to steer. I have scanned the codes and it comes up as " Lost communication with power steering module " and punch of other codes related to the steering column control module. I can't really drive the car anywhere.
Anyone has an Idea what I'm dealing with here ? anything would help !
if i see that fault at the shop i would put a rack in it. there really isnt much diag that can be done on these. my advise is to buy a used rack from a mqb platform and you would have to code it. you will have to perform the basic settings for the end stops and such and the alignment, but you can avoid a dealership trip and save about a thousand dollars on the part. i bought a used rack on ebay for $90 with free shipping a year ago.

Zee10

Car(s)
2011 vw golf
I think basically with the steering rack you can check if the connections are good, and if they are its basically a replace the whole steering rack type of job unfortunately.
Thanks for your reply! based on all the comments here , I believe I'm left with changing the whole thing !

Zee10

Car(s)
2011 vw golf
If I recall correctly the power steering control module is the rack. I would start with the obvious items, connectors at the rack, damaged wires and fuses. They’re real easy to check. I would also check your battery as low voltage does really weird things in these cars. If all that checks, I would try cycling the battery and see what comes back.
I did check all of that my friend and everything seems fine, don't know what triggered it honestly!

Zee10

Car(s)
2011 vw golf
if i see that fault at the shop i would put a rack in it. there really isnt much diag that can be done on these. my advise is to buy a used rack from a mqb platform and you would have to code it. you will have to perform the basic settings for the end stops and such and the alignment, but you can avoid a dealership trip and save about a thousand dollars on the part. i bought a used rack on ebay for $90 with free shipping a year ago.
is it a common issue ? because the car has only 120 km on it and it doesn't seem to be damaged and everything looks fine ! it's just too much big of a job to take the engine out and install a new one !! any other solution that might work ?

ryansonfire

Go Kart Newbie
is it a common issue ? because the car has only 120 km on it and it doesn't seem to be damaged and everything looks fine ! it's just too much big of a job to take the engine out and install a new one !! any other solution that might work ?
I work at an Audi dealership and we don't see it too often, maybe one a month. the vw dealer next door does quite a bit more than us so it's more common on their platforms for some reason. When I had to change my rack for a nosie a couple of the techs said the atlas racks were failing all the time.