GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Remote Lock/Unlock with WeConnect App

Massimo 2323

Drag Racing Champion
Hi. I wanted to get the remote lock/unlock service activated as I was told a year ago it was possible but only with new Weconnect Plus contract. But then a few days ago I was told it was not possible because I was missing the necessary hardware. Mine is a My21 built week 47/2020. Now what I don't understand is in other countries there are Golf 8's with the exact same hardware as mine, built at the same time, and have this service available. Also they do not have the digital key. Any food for thought?

C0TT1S

Passed Driver's Ed
I’ve got a 23MY R line with remote unlock and no digital key. My parents recently had a 21MY 8 that didn’t have the capability to remote unlock. I believe earlier models didn’t have the connection capability so they couldn’t do remote unlock and couldn’t update their infotainment system. When a new fix came out they had to go to the dealer for it where as their new one and my new one can both remote unlock and self update.

C0TT1S

Passed Driver's Ed
So with the fix they were able to get the remote lock/unlock working? Do you know what was the fix?
Unfortunately not as the updated we’re carried out by VW. The dealer told them the car was a non connected car so remote unlock would not be possible. They had a very bad experience with their first mk8 as it was a first edition car and came with every issue known to mk8 owners.

For your issue I would go to VW and ask if it’s a connected car with sim card built in. If it’s capable of updating itself it should be able to remote unlock.