GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Retarted design???

NorthGTI

Rally Car Newbie
loccusst said:
But we are talking about a spoiler. If my light in the spoiler goes out I sure don't want to have to get a whole new spoiler. I understand the no bolt thing for attaching it to the hatch, but what about screws attaching the lens cover to a housing for the leds?

The use of LED, not bulbs, for the light means they do not "burn out". The problem with the particular car that started this thread may be a defect light panel, or related to something else-we don't know and should not assign the problem to VW's design if we don't know what might have made this fail. Consider this failure could be due to abuse.

I have had GTIs with the OEM spoiler with a removable lens. It used conventional bulbs that would need replaced. The MkV has no replaceable bulbs-there is no purpose for an access panel.

I would prefer the new design, as it is sealed against leakage and has a clean appearance. VW has picked the right design.

As one that has been an Engineer for manufactured consumer products for over 30 years, I appreciate VW's approach to design. Their attention to detail is why I have bought VW (and Audi) for the last 25 years.

GTT

Touring Car Champion
Slowride said:
Designing a sealed brake light is one thing, but the the cost of replacing an entire hatch versus an LED panel that costs pennies is an interesting decision.

If you look at the spoiler and light as one unit, then it makes perfect sense to design it that way. It's not a part that requires or will require general maintenance, so design in more complexity than necessary?

The LED setup is permanent and thus not designed to be "maintained".
This is one car that had this problem and it doesn't seem to be indicative of an engineering
"flaw". C'mon, VW has made a very sweet GTI which involved some darn good engineering considering this GTI's impressive performance that is getting much press accolades.
I can't see using this one problem on one car as any ammo for indictment of poor engineering on VW's part.

T

NorthGTI

Rally Car Newbie
Slowride said:
Designing a sealed brake light is one thing, but the the cost of replacing an entire hatch versus an LED panel that costs pennies is an interesting decision.

You don't replace the entire hatch, you replace the spoiler-light unit.

It is made to be removed, just like any other adhesive applied parts.

Only someone who does not know what they are doing would replace the entire hatch.

NorthGTI

Rally Car Newbie
GTT said:
If you look at the spoiler and light as one unit, then it makes perfect sense to design it that way. It's not a part that requires or will require general maintenance, so design in more complexity than necessary?

The LED setup is permanent and thus not designed to be "maintained".
This is one car that had this problem and it doesn't seem to be indicative of an engineering
"flaw". C'mon, VW has made a very sweet GTI which involved some darn good engineering considering this GTI's impressive performance that is getting much press accolades.
I can't see using this one problem on one car as any ammo for indictment of poor engineering on VW's part.

T

Here, here, finally the voice of reason.

Using bolts, screws and other fasteners for the assembly makes no sense when the modern and efficient way is to do it with adhesive.

And it looks better too.

katie

Autocross Champion
alf said:
damn, thats a bit too extreme for a damn lense. call VWoA and verify the procedure, i always do before they start ANY work on my car.

they had a firned of mine sit for 5 hours here in houston, and the drilled the hole for the ipod adapter and did not install it, it was SUCH a waste of time, they didnt even install the adapter, nor fix her problem with her wireless entry light on the door. they had to "research" the problem

good luck though. looks like VW tech still hasnt straightened up.

alf

5 hours Alf? I was there from 7:53 AM to 2:00 PM. Going back tomorrow at 8AM, except I'm not waiting at the dealership. I'm expecting my car back the same day though. We'll see what happens.

NorthGTI

Rally Car Newbie
Slowride said:
LED's burn out...that is a known fact. Hopefully, this will be an isolated incident.

I thought he had to have the hatch replaced? I thought I read that.

LED don't burn out unless effected by external source-like applying the wrong voltage. They basically work or don't work. They don't "burn out".

You may have read about hatch replacement, but not from a reliable source.

Think about it. If you need the side strip replaced on the door, do they replace the door? No, they replace the strip.

Slowride

Touring Car Newbie
I read that here, in this thread. That is my source...the original poster which I have quoted below.

BLACKMAGICGTI'06 said:
the solution to this issue was simpler than anyone thought replace the entire hatch... thats what they are going to do and i'll have my car back tonight

NorthGTI

Rally Car Newbie
Slowride said:
I read that here, in this thread. That is my source...the original poster which I have quoted below.

Because one very inexperiance Dealer's Service Dept is doing this does not make it a requirement.

Think about it. Does replacing the hatch, including making it the right color, make sense? No.

It is just a dealer that does not follow procedure.

"It doesn't make sense, BLAH BLAH BLAH." Who cares if it makes sense or not. IT'S GETTING FIXED. If the color is not right, take that shit back. He doens't have to pay because it's still under warranty. My car is gettin a moonroof installed and the dealership is getting it back today, then checking out my hatch. It's rattling.

BTW: 200th Post

BLACKMAGICGTI'06

Rally Car Champion
the hatch is back and it is fine... with the exception of the fact that the interior panel has a broken clip and is now rattling but that'll be fixed tomorrow. you're right about the procedure not being followed but the correct procedure requires the dealer to have the car for close to a week and also requires "bodywork" somethin g the dealer is not thrilled about getting involved in. there are special primers/glues. i bitched about not havin my car and the design is a flaw and when they said it could be a week before i got it back i bugged out. It didn't work from day 1 and just food for thought what if the lens ever cracked on your 3rd bl? what then same issue not just a bulb blowing but there is more than one reason you might need to make a repair on it.