GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Reversing lights, can they be improved?

David Lewis

Ready to race!
I know that the reversing lights are only there to indicate that you are reversing but it would be extremely useful to me if the illumination they give out could be improved.
I have a long but narrow curved drive that has no ilumination. At this time of year it's a real pain reversing on it. Better illumination from the car would be great. Any ideas?

Reggie Enchilada

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
yes
There are instructions in one of the Vag-com or OBD11 threads about turning up the brightness of the reverse lights. I can't remember which one though so you'll have to search a bit for it

Or just get some LED bulbs and swap them out.

Axles of Evil

Ready to race!
DeAutoKey Backup LED's

I can personally vouch for the reverse lights from DeAuto. They are the same white bright light that you see on many Cadillacs, not some purplish imitation.

Because the opening of the clear lens is small on the GTI rear lights, specifically the LED version, no matter how good the bulb is, there really is not a whole lot of opening, or lens surface area that can be used.

The De Auto's are the best choice, and look really cool, but the light output is still better than OEM, but not something like the backup lights on a Suburban or similar. Again, just not enough area to let the light out.

Tatanko

Ready to race!
He's ROW so he might already have LED's.
Even the factory LED taillights don't use LEDs for the reverse lights, they are still a standard halogen bulb.

Finglonga

Drag Racing Champion
These guys should have what your looking for![emoji106]
http://deautokey.com/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Price is prohibited over here, with postage and customs charges it is nearly double the price. I have some 800lm 16cree LED from Ebay, better and better ones are popping up everywhere nowadays.

fatnslow1

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi,
I've recently upgraded mine with....955 twenty20 Cree led (w16w) canbus bulbs, from Autobulbs Direct. Very bright and a crisp white light. Bit of a tight fit, though.

mesaboogie18

Ready to race!
My euro tails from BEC came with LED reverse lights. Very bright and crisp white.

Attachments

• DSC_0700.jpg
    DSC_0700.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 1,763

deAutoLED.com

GolfMK6 Official Vendor

DV52

Drag Racing Champion
^^^ If you have access to a VCDS cable, or an OBDeleven dongle, you can illuminate other lights when reversing.

For example, I have changed the lighting on my car so that the 3rd brake light illuminates automatically when in reverse - it provides extra general illumination up higher, which is a good thing IMO

Don

Mk7user

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 2015
^^^ If you have access to a VCDS cable, or an OBDeleven dongle, you can illuminate other lights when reversing.

For example, I have changed the lighting on my car so that the 3rd brake light illuminates automatically when in reverse - it provides extra general illumination up higher, which is a good thing IMO

Don

Don, can you provide the link to those instructions please. Thanks for the great idea.

DV52

Drag Racing Champion
Don, can you provide the link to those instructions please. Thanks for the great idea.

Mk7User: Hi. I included the instructions for the reversing light function into a number of other tweaks involving the 3rd brake light HERE - see the last column in the table

Don