GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Roof rack marks - How boned am I?

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
About 6 months ago, I grabbed a used roof rack off the forums. I didn't do any real prep, and just plopped it on, tightened it with the appropriate tool, and went on my way.

Well, I took it up the other day and realized the error in my ways.

It looks better/worse in certain lighting conditions. Direct sunlight, forget about it. Looks white like there's not even any paint there. Yesterday when it was overcast, the sun was setting and raining, you couldn't even see it.

Is it fixable? How bad did I mess up? Picture of one side below.

IMG_20200219_074857.jpg

vbrad26

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'15 CSG GTI 2DR M/T
Oh man I don't even want to know what mine looks like underneath if that's only 6 months haha.
I've had mine on for close to 4 years probably and never had them off, nor did I try to protect the paint in any way.

Hayden

Love/Hate Relationship
Car(s)
2016 GTI
That's strange, I put mine on every winter and never have any marks.
I do clean the car and claybar the spots that its being installed on, though.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
Hard to tell from your pics, but when I ran roof racks, I'd soak the feet in soapy water and rinse well before reinstalling. Or just buy new feet if yours are dirty.

As for marks in the paint, use a swirl mark remover or actual polish to see if you can restore the finish. I use Menzerna polishes with an orbital and random orbital and foam pads, but you should be able to knock down minor imperfections by hand. I'd highly recommend a fresh coat of sealant before reinstalling too.

ottothecow

I cut some PPF and put it where the feet go. I used a template I found online for the whispbar feet, but it shouldn't be too hard to figure out yourself.

compound and polish out the marks and then put some PPF on and they will be fine. I have found it makes installing/removing faster because I don't have to be as careful and it makes it visually clear exactly where the racks should sit.

I also considered buying some "Tracwrap" temporary ppf. Figured I could leave it on if I thought the racks would be going back on soon (like during ski season), or pull it off if I knew it might be a while...but I ended up going with the permanent stuff. The temporary stuff isn't cheap, and I couldn't find small rolls in a wide enough size to give adequate coverage.

I didn't get one of them applied well in the gutter indentation and it is lifting...I'll have to cut a new one to replace it at some point, but otherwise they aren't obviously visible from a few feet away and they keep everything safe.

akimmel

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI AB 6MT
looks to me like the problem people were having with moisture getting in the clearcoat from the protective shipping wrap. Have you tried putting it out in the hot sun or carefully running a heat gun over it?

staying_tuned

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2016 Mark 7 Golf R
It looks like the damage may only be surface marring/scuffing of the clear coat. I would try hitting it with a mild polishing compound. If that is clear coat damage, polish will have it looking new with minimal effort. It isn't a hand job though, too much correction needed. If you don't have a random orbital with a medium cut (or even finishing pad) I think any competent detail shop would be able to correct it on both sides for under $100.

silkblue

Passed Driver's Ed
I cut some PPF and put it where the feet go. I used a template I found online for the whispbar feet, but it shouldn't be too hard to figure out yourself.

compound and polish out the marks and then put some PPF on and they will be fine. I have found it makes installing/removing faster because I don't have to be as careful and it makes it visually clear exactly where the racks should sit.

I also considered buying some "Tracwrap" temporary ppf. Figured I could leave it on if I thought the racks would be going back on soon (like during ski season), or pull it off if I knew it might be a while...but I ended up going with the permanent stuff. The temporary stuff isn't cheap, and I couldn't find small rolls in a wide enough size to give adequate coverage.

I didn't get one of them applied well in the gutter indentation and it is lifting...I'll have to cut a new one to replace it at some point, but otherwise they aren't obviously visible from a few feet away and they keep everything safe.

I'm having trouble finding the template - would you happen to have the link to it? Tried searching their website as well. Thanks!

Lager_Ace

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
looks to me like the problem people were having with moisture getting in the clearcoat from the protective shipping wrap. Have you tried putting it out in the hot sun or carefully running a heat gun over it?
Yes good call (y) I had that same discolouring on my MK4 Jetta hood from the bra. Gone after a couple of days in the sun and carefully using a heat gun.

silkblue

Passed Driver's Ed
I actually will try to do a rough template (wider base) for the OEM ones if anyone's interested - I want it to go down to the window as well just in case. Mine would be for 2 door

ottothecow

I'm having trouble finding the template - would you happen to have the link to it? Tried searching their website as well. Thanks!
I would also appreciate a template if anyone has it.

Hopefully attaching it here works. When you print, make sure you print at 100% scale rather than shrink to fit (although it is big enough to still give you wiggle room on attachment points).

I just printed 4 copies, stuck them to the backing of the PPF with a glue stick, and cut them out. Can't remember if I used sharp scissors or a razor blade...they both have pros and cons when cutting film. Scissors can handle curves easily, but can sometimes struggle to cut the film if you aren't careful.

Attachments

• 357827595-Whispbar-Vinyl-Pattern.pdf
    782.1 KB · Views: 223

silkblue

Passed Driver's Ed
Awesome - thanks for template! Is the template just for the rubber base? (does not extend to the metal bracket)

I ended up going w oem for the 2-door - can upload the self-made template for the base soon. I did extend it to the door frame, so feel free to trim as needed.