GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

RWD GTI???...

GTi-GUY86

Ready to race!
So I always hear and read about everyone longing for the day that someone (APR, tuner company, etc) builds and releases an AWD conversion for the GTI. Because I like to be different and think outside the box, has anyone every considered doing the first RWD GTI instead? I have pondered the idea a few times but since I'm like the average person and could only wish I had unlimited funds to do a project like this, I just wanted to see what our fellow members have to say on this one. I haven't heard anyone discuss this one so I figured I through it out there. I've come from mostly RWD cars (MB SEL 420, Lexus IS300, MB E55) before I fell in love with VW. I think it would be cool just to have a different build and to have the only RWD GTI. What do you think?

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie

2010GTi Carbon

Ready to race!
I know a RWD conversion has been done before, just haven't heard of any on a mk6. Eurotuner has had a few RWD GTIs in their Euro showdowns before.

GTi-GUY86

Ready to race!
I know a RWD conversion has been done before, just haven't heard of any on a mk6. Eurotuner has had a few RWD GTIs in their Euro showdowns before.

Ok. I havent heard of any on any model but I thought it would be really cool to have a RWD MK6. It would completely catch people off guard to smoke the back tires! :w00t:

NOLA-Ron

Go Kart Champion

+1.

I will say this though - the GTI is the best FWD car I have ever driven in my life. By far. Still amazes me how it pulls around the apex under throttle. But RED.... oh my ... can you imagine? Sorry but I don't see the appeal to AWD. Give me RWD or FWD. Maybe if I lived in snow....

Someone do it!! I had a friend that used an AWD setup out of a chevy van to do AWD in his twin turbo LS1 S10 truck. 9 second truck btw.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

GTi-GUY86

Ready to race!
+1.

I will say this though - the GTI is the best FWD car I have ever driven in my life. By far. Still amazes me how it pulls around the apex under throttle. But RED.... oh my ... can you imagine? Sorry but I don't see the appeal to AWD. Give me RWD or FWD. Maybe if I lived in snow....

I will agree that the GTI is a fast FWD car and its also the fastest one that I have ever driven thats FWD. AWD on this car would always be appealing (at least to me) but RWD would just be amazing. I wonder how must it would throw off the drivability of the car though...

NOLA-Ron

Go Kart Champion
I will agree that the GTI is a fast FWD car and its also the fastest one that I have ever driven thats FWD. AWD on this car would always be appealing (at least to me) but RWD would just be amazing. I wonder how must it would throw off the drivability of the car though...

Was wondering that myself. Such a short car with such a heavy front end. Would probably need to do some serious weight redistribution to the back. I'm no expert though nor a mechanic.

GTi-GUY86

Ready to race!
Was wondering that myself. Such a short car with such a heavy front end. Would probably need to do some serious weight redistribution to the back. I'm no expert though nor a mechanic.

I dont think it would have that much of a negative effect only because you would be able to fix the understeer with oversteer and hopefully it will balance out since you would then be able to throw the back end of the car out in the corners :D. Curious to know whats the weight distribution ratio on our cars anyway. I never bothered to look that up.

GTIMKV20

APR Stage I
I think grip would suffer immensely as the front is so biased on weight (heavier).. would be awesome regardless!

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
Transverse engined car with RWD, well that would be a first. :laugh:

It would make 0 sense.

GTi-GUY86

Ready to race!
Transverse engined car with RWD, well that would be a first. :laugh:

It would make 0 sense.

If I could do this I would have the engine longitudinal like some of the Audi's I've seen. Possible use A4 engine mounts and tranny if they fit. Golf R rear and gas tank to add. Just an idea but if I had the funds I would definately do this as a build just to have something different.

GTi-GUY86

Ready to race!
yep. Not to mention the exorbitant cost :thumbdown:

just buy a RWD car if it's that important to you.

I agree but this is just a "what if" lol.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
If I could do this I would have the engine longitudinal like some of the Audi's I've seen. Possible use A4 engine mounts and tranny if they fit. Golf R rear and gas tank to add. Just an idea but if I had the funds I would definately do this as a build just to have something different.

I think it would be cheaper to buy an A4 and weld on the GTI body :lol:

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
A4 is FWD or AWD only, isnt it?