GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Should i get it

earthtoandy

Touring Car Champion
I have a GTI my fiancee has a mazda3. both have had a flawless experience but she whines all the time that she wants my car cause it is so much nicer. better to drive, better interior, better feel as quality is concered. better eveything

KaynE

FIA World Rally Car Champion
jeff_faye_lo said:
ok, if you are thinking of Mazda3, it has no power compared to Gti, so it's a no brainer, Gti wins.

if you are thinking of Mazdaspeed3, then now we are talking.
BUT, my concern would be, how often do you see a turbo-charged mazda before? I mean, Mazda is only famous in the rotational engine, and they are not experienced on the turbo thing yet.

furthermore, how well does the mazda3 chasis respond to the turbo engine? there are lots of unknowns in there.

Gti owns MS3 good in this race.

FYI, Gti's 2.0 turbo was borrowed from Audi, not made by VW if you are wondering.

Their Mazdaspeed6 is an AWD turbo'd car to be reckoned with.

Rabbit GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
a GTI.
jeff_faye_lo said:
ok, if you are thinking of Mazda3, it has no power compared to Gti, so it's a no brainer, Gti wins.

if you are thinking of Mazdaspeed3, then now we are talking.
BUT, my concern would be, how often do you see a turbo-charged mazda before? I mean, Mazda is only famous in the rotational engine, and they are not experienced on the turbo thing yet.

furthermore, how well does the mazda3 chasis respond to the turbo engine? there are lots of unknowns in there.

Gti owns MS3 good in this race.

FYI, Gti's 2.0 turbo was borrowed from Audi, not made by VW if you are wondering.

well i have to respectfully disagree...mazda has experience with a sequential twin turbo with their old rx-7...but i would still give the edge to the GTI in a heartbeat, just on looks alone...the 3 looks awkward as hell, i'd take an old Protege5 and slap a mazdaspeed engine in it before i get a 3.

jeff_faye_lo

Autocross Newbie
smp85 said:
well i have to respectfully disagree...mazda has experience with a sequential twin turbo with their old rx-7...but i would still give the edge to the GTI in a heartbeat, just on looks alone...the 3 looks awkward as hell, i'd take an old Protege5 and slap a mazdaspeed engine in it before i get a 3.

thanks for pointing this out.:bow:

However, Mazda still has not produced that many turbo car in the past. RX-7 is basically a track car, and that should leave mazdaspeed 6 as the only model produced before the 3 recently? :wub:

dont get me wrong, I was once on the same boat considering Mazda3 too. but it's been 3 years since it was launched. A good family car I would say, but it should not be compared to GTi by all means.

I would compare Gti to models like Civic Si, Cooper S, Ford Focus ST...:thumbsup:

while Mazda3 should be with the regular Civic, Corolla, or the Jetta... :redface:

VDubs

Passed Driver's Ed
jeff_faye_lo said:
thanks for pointing this out.:bow:

However, Mazda still has not produced that many turbo car in the past. RX-7 is basically a track car, and that should leave mazdaspeed 6 as the only model produced before the 3 recently? :wub:

dont get me wrong, I was once on the same boat considering Mazda3 too. but it's been 3 years since it was launched. A good family car I would say, but it should not be compared to GTi by all means.

I would compare Gti to models like Civic Si, Cooper S, Ford Focus ST...:thumbsup:

while Mazda3 should be with the regular Civic, Corolla, or the Jetta... :redface:

Dude, you have no prospective. Mazda has been turbocharging cars FAR longer than VW (I'm not talking audi here, just VW). It's like people forget anything older than 2001!

Let's see. We have the mazdaspeed miata TURBO, I believe the mazdaspeed protege was also turbo, the Fc RX-7 had the turbo II system (as well as Fd), and I also believe there were turbo versions of the 323, which was the precursor to the protege.

If anyone should be weary of turbo performance and reliability, we should be regarding VW.

The fact is the mazdaspeed 3 is going to be a great package. It will be faster than our GTIs and will handle at least as well. If the rumors are true, the guy who did the mazda 3 suspension also worked on the mkV suspension. The mazdaspeed 3 continue where the neon SRT4 left off.

In the end, it;s all about what you like and what you can afford. I know people are dealing on the price of GTI's and I really like how they drive. Now the mazdaspeed 3 being a new car and essentially a special edition might end up being quite a bit pricier than a GTI. So there are a bunch of factors.

Wild Hare

.: MR. BIG STUFF :.
Car(s)
2015 Golf R (TUNED)
It's still a MAZZZZDA!

Yucko!

And BTW, it's VW that's been turbo charging much longer than Mazda! Did you forget other VW models?

jeff_faye_lo

Autocross Newbie
VDubs said:
Dude, you have no prospective. Mazda has been turbocharging cars FAR longer than VW (I'm not talking audi here, just VW). It's like people forget anything older than 2001!

Let's see. We have the mazdaspeed miata TURBO, I believe the mazdaspeed protege was also turbo, the Fc RX-7 had the turbo II system (as well as Fd), and I also believe there were turbo versions of the 323, which was the precursor to the protege.

If anyone should be weary of turbo performance and reliability, we should be regarding VW.

The fact is the mazdaspeed 3 is going to be a great package. It will be faster than our GTIs and will handle at least as well. If the rumors are true, the guy who did the mazda 3 suspension also worked on the mkV suspension. The mazdaspeed 3 continue where the neon SRT4 left off.

In the end, it;s all about what you like and what you can afford. I know people are dealing on the price of GTI's and I really like how they drive. Now the mazdaspeed 3 being a new car and essentially a special edition might end up being quite a bit pricier than a GTI. So there are a bunch of factors.

Maybe I am too young to learn all those models you just named. I am sure that Mazda did somework before they put the turbo on the 3, and as i said, i was quite biased on the post I wrote before coz i am a Gti lover. once again, i would like to apologize for that.

while the Audi turbo was widely used on various models recently (A3, A4, Jetta, Golf, passat...2.0T or the 1.8T, doesnt matter) , I would like to know if mazda have placed their turbo on any models other than mazdaspeed 3/6 ? (this is a question, not a challenge, coz i really duno about this.)

VDubs

Passed Driver's Ed
jeff_faye_lo said:
Maybe I am too young to learn all those models you just named. I am sure that Mazda did somework before they put the turbo on the 3, and as i said, i was quite biased on the post I wrote before coz i am a Gti lover. once again, i would like to apologize for that.

while the Audi turbo was widely used on various models recently (A3, A4, Jetta, Golf, passat...2.0T or the 1.8T, doesnt matter) , I would like to know if mazda have placed their turbo on any models other than mazdaspeed 3/6 ? (this is a question, not a challenge, coz i really duno about this.)

Sorry if I came of like I was snapping at you, I suppose I've been on vortex too long!

I am not sure if Mazda has used the motors in other apps. I mean in the US, to the best of my knowledge they haven't, especially since it is a direct injection motor just like the 2.0t. So while I am almost positive this is a completely new motor for mazda in the US, I haven't the foggiest about the overseas cars.

I have heard rumors of overheating in the mazdaspeed 6 cars, but I don't know if it's anything to be overly concerned about currently. I mean, it's not like VW hasn't had it's fair share of stupid and annoying problems. Though I would tend to think overheating is more of a general engineering fault that mazda should have picked up on vs something like coilpacks that are outsourced by VW and thus not VW engineered, just VW-spec'd.

I think the MS3 is a great vehicle, there is just no denying it. But I also really enjoy my GTI. I think mazda did a great job of copying the GTI formula, but still, it's a copy, not the real thing. And to be honest, if the R comes back over, I would much rather have that then the MS3. Right now, I think it really comes down to a test drive if the ms3 is better for one person vs another.

jeff_faye_lo

Autocross Newbie
yeah man i have been to the vortex too, the atmosphere there isnt very cool.
I wish more ppl will come to this forum so that i dont need to visit vortex anymore.

I would like to testdrive a MS3 when they come to canada later.

Wantagti

insufficient funds
Car(s)
Chevy Suburban Z71
I love our Mazda6. I test drove a 06 mazda3 hatchback that someone just traded in with 3,000 miles on it. My impressions, nice looking car, pretty nice interior. Over-rated by magazines. On any rough pavement or uneven joints the suspension "slapped" and was very rough inside the car. It already had that plastic creaking/cracking sound in the dash. Oh, and it did nothing to raise my bloodpressure like the GTI did. On the good side, the 3 has about the best resale of any compact on the market. Dealers sell them used for as much as new ones go for. I've seen the auction numbers and they're just plain dumb money used. I'd hate to see how much more pronounced the noises and stiffness would be the the Mazdaspeed3.

Wild Hare

.: MR. BIG STUFF :.
Car(s)
2015 Golf R (TUNED)
jeff_faye_lo said:
yeah man i have been to the vortex too, the atmosphere there isnt very cool.
I wish more ppl will come to this forum so that i dont need to visit vortex anymore.

I would like to testdrive a MS3 when they come to canada later.

You mean Kotex!:wink:

zerogt86

FIA World Rally Car Champion
I like mazdas, but i dont think the MS3 will compare to the GTI in terms of fit and finish. Im not worried about the reliability of my GTI, since all the north american GTI's are assembled in Wolfsburg and not mexico (like most other VW's that were knows for problems).

herrstreet

Touring Car Newbie
The 3 is a clear step below the VW in image, percieved quality, and design. It's still a nice car and it's a good 3-4 grand cheaper than a comparible gti. For that extra money in the vw, you get a nicer interior, better headlights, more saftey equipent, bigger brakes, 50 or so more horsepower, more gears, better milage, and a fast. I don't think the reliabilty for either is a reason not to buy. Both are probably average in todays market (better than a chevy, worse than a toyota). Get the car you want. Fate will decide if you get a lemon or not, but I like your chances of a good experience with either model.