GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

So long MKV... you will be missed

s4mt3k

binary four
Heads up:

There is no info, or fun facts in this thread.... it's just something I feel like putting in writing...

Background:

Some of you probably know me/my car, for the rest, it's an 07 BMP GTI - Package 2 - 6MT. Bought in 06 brand new (first new car purchased - ever).

I babied this car and lightly modified it, I loved everything about it. Here she is this past summer

11-20-2010 @ 2:30am:

Was about to make a right turn @ a stop sign when out of nowhere I get rear ended by some lady doing 35-40mph. She was not planning on stopping for the stop sign, or for me either to see if I was in one piece. She fled the scene... more accurately, she never stopped.

When I got hit, I spun around in a circle, and my front end jumped a curb. I wasn't sure that my car would be driveable (to chase the bitch) so I pulled over and called 911.

After filing the report, and taking my car home (had to pull really hard on the bumper pieces to get them off the rear tire) my buddy and I decided that even though the cops would be looking out for a Grand Am, we wanted to conduct our own search and investigation. Went back to the scene and found a piece of the other person's silver GrandAm bumper. 30 minutes later of driving around we found the car parked @ a house. Called the cops, got them down there.

These are some pix of the damage:

Skip forward; I go to the hospital for neck/back pains, luckily nothing is broken. Took a couple days off of work per the Dr's request.

Got the car towed over to a body shop (they do awesome work).

Due to the holidays and what not, the appraisal couldn't be scheduled till Monday. I wasn't worried about it because since the other lady is @ fault, everything including my rental car was covered 100% at no cost to me.

Got a call yesterday from Lib Mutual telling me that the car was totaled. First I was shocked, then I was very sad.... Mark (RSMark5) and I were talking yesterday and it's just so weird how we got attached to this fucking car.

I know it's a vw, and I know it's a piece of shit (or some ppl think it is anyway)... mine however, I loved, I don't care what ppl say.

I guess the car got totaled due to extensive damage;

- Rear end (including BSH swaybar, votex rear, control arm...)
- Front end (including votex front, rim, bumper, steering rack, tie rods...)
- Undercarriage (shields, floor is bent...)
- Finally the kick in the nuts is one or more broken fins on the transmission

The insurance and body shop asked me to get receipts for all my aftermarket bits for reimbursement. I was shocked when I found out that the number adds up to almost $8000, considering how lightly modded the car is (the fiancee shook her head when she heard the number). I don't expect to get 8k for my parts (obviously), but I'm hoping for partial reimbursement.

The cash value they're giving me was actually really decent (almost $19000) but I'm insisting on getting more for my aftermarket stuff so they're evaluating my receipts now.

And that's the story of my MKV.... bought new, somewhat built up, loved, went to meets, shows, and now met it's untimely and too soon death.

What next? not sure.... I'm thinking of getting a truck (certified used or new) since I'm a homeowner... I have plenty of ideas for a euro car though.... we'll see what I come up with...

Sorry for the long drawn out thread. I'm recovering :wink:

I would like to thank the guys @ BSH, Berk @ DBCPerformance, REVO, Forge Motorsports and the guys @ NAMotorsports. Hope to be buying parts from you guys soon enough, for something else lol.

Last edited:
i feel you man.

i got rear ended on the highway in standstill traffic. the lady must have still been going about 25-30 despite slamming on the brakes. My damage actually looked EXACTLY like yours. So lucky that the car wasn't totaled. I was able to drive off but her POS civic was totaled on the spot. Maybe i softened the blow by having my foot off the brake. Car is in great condition now. Brought it to the dealer to do their $100 all systems check after the body shop gave my car back.

my question however...HOW THE HELL WAS SHE ABLE TO DRIVE OFF IN A GRAND AM?! i thought that with those cars, the engine shuts off, falls out, the tires fall off, and then after the car is stopped, the car rolls onto its roof from stand still after a fender bender

PS. sweet swirly licence plate in the first pic dawg. why did you swap it out for a legible one in the last pic?

mlowmk5

nothing rhymes w/ orange
Man im sorry to hear. I am always sad to hear someone loose a car. I just sold my subie and almost cried. Had it for 10 years!

GL with the new ride and the house.

Vins25

Dump Valve 7000RPM
Hey Wissam , i guess you are Lebanese , my heart goes for your GTI , i would kil myself if I get that same phone call:S!! Why dont you buy another one man?

s4mt3k

binary four
i feel you man.

i got rear ended on the highway in standstill traffic. the lady must have still been going about 25-30 despite slamming on the brakes. My damage actually looked EXACTLY like yours. So lucky that the car wasn't totaled. I was able to drive off but her POS civic was totaled on the spot. Maybe i softened the blow by having my foot off the brake. Car is in great condition now. Brought it to the dealer to do their $100 all systems check after the body shop gave my car back.

my question however...HOW THE HELL WAS SHE ABLE TO DRIVE OFF IN A GRAND AM?! i thought that with those cars, the engine shuts off, falls out, the tires fall off, and then after the car is stopped, the car rolls onto its roof from stand still after a fender bender

PS. sweet swirly licence plate in the first pic dawg. why did you swap it out for a legible one in the last pic?

Good to hear you car survived. Thx for the headsup, I changed the pic and added a swirl :wink:, as for the other lady, I added a couple pix of her car. LOL

Man im sorry to hear. I am always sad to hear someone loose a car. I just sold my subie and almost cried. Had it for 10 years!

GL with the new ride and the house.

Thank you sir!

Hey Wissam , i guess you are Lebanese , my heart goes for your GTI , i would kil myself if I get that same phone call:S!! Why dont you buy another one man?

Yes I am :thumbsup: ... Why don't I buy another one? I've been needing a truck so I'm going to try to get that for now, and satisfy my Euro love with an e30, e36, mk1, mk2...

Electricalbox

OMG CAT FTW!
Yes I am :thumbsup: ... Why don't I buy another one? I've been needing a truck so I'm going to try to get that for now, and satisfy my Euro love with an e30, e36, mk1, mk2...

BOL with it all...don't get an e36 unless you go M3, just my opinion.

patrick_irwin

Go Kart Champion
damn man I didnt even know this happen. I know how bad it sucks. I sold my GTI on Friday. but it was its time. Glad to see you're ok.

merkeyterkey

The Real FLATTIRE
+1 on the detective duty, one time someone stole my old car & I found it..... cops thought I did it....

snag those wheels off the car and sell em' to meeeeee

Mr. White

MESPELLENG WURDZ!
woow, you know what tho sam, your lucky it was totaled, in the fact that it is realy hard to total out these cars and imagin if they could fix it, you wouldent want to be in it anymore.

You will never leave the scene, excpesially if you are like mark and i lol. get a truck and then get a project car as stated, if you need anything you know who to call,

i hope you get better and im glad it wasnt more fatal (death)

s4mt3k

binary four
damn sam soo what does this mean now?? another mkv? sorry to hear about this

thx Kev, no mkv tho, not now anyway

BOL with it all...don't get an e36 unless you go M3, just my opinion.

that's what it would be for sure, found a minty one for 9k already lol

damn man I didnt even know this happen. I know how bad it sucks. I sold my GTI on Friday. but it was its time. Glad to see you're ok.

thx Pat, what are you doing for a car now?

mk1/mk2 done right would be great way to recover

inorite :thumbsup:

+1 on the detective duty, one time someone stole my old car & I found it..... cops thought I did it....

snag those wheels off the car and sell em' to meeeeee

I told the insurance if they don't pay for the wheels I'm taking them. If they go on sale, I'll pm you :thumbsup:

woow, you know what tho sam, your lucky it was totaled, in the fact that it is realy hard to total out these cars and imagin if they could fix it, you wouldent want to be in it anymore.

You will never leave the scene, excpesially if you are like mark and i lol. get a truck and then get a project car as stated, if you need anything you know who to call,

i hope you get better and im glad it wasnt more fatal (death)

thx bro, you know how it is... it is somewhat a blessing in disguise and aside from the emotional part, it's def a good deal seeing how I walked away in one piece.

we'll see what happens but you know I'll hit you two up.

s4mt3k

binary four
I'm waiting on a final call back from the Total Loss Department @ Lib Mutual to see what they're going to give me for the aftermarket stuff. If the number is shitty, I'm taking everything off the car and selling it. As of right now the one thing I KNOW I'm selling is my Select Plus switch for Revo, and my winter setup (curbed classics with awesome Michelin snow tires on them)