GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

So my jaw is wired shut...

boostedGTIguy

Dub or Die!
Well 2 weeks ago I was doing some skateboarding downtown and a little accident happened =( I was going for a k grind (crooked grind) down a 4 stair double set with a kink. Now I've never grinded a kinked rail before but there was a little liquid courage involved.

Hit the rail clean and locked in no problem, but as I hit the kink I didn't expect the drastic lean and didn't really know how to correct. Long story short I lost my balance and flew forward head first eating the rail. Funny thing is I didn't black out at all, it's just there was EXTREME swelling on my right cheek. I figured whatever I'm not blacking out, swelling will prob go down in a few days. Well it didn't lol, made it back to base after the weekend and headed to the er.

Xrayd and found a fractured Mandible in two places, doc says he has to insert a
titanium plate and wire me shut for 6 weeks. I'm at 4 to go now..

Anyone been through a wired jaw? I'm on a liquid diet of protein shakes and soup
broth. Trying to figure out what I can put through in a blender that would actually
taste decent. This is a Pretty rough point in my life but I'm living so it's not that bad, just emotionally trying. One positive outlook is no going out at all and I don't even want to touch alchohol with the mess I'm on lol. So my mod list is actually going to make some progress haha 19's and fmic on the 15th! Will prob be on the boards often for the next few weeks so keep a broth entertained yo!:cry:

Last edited:

JDraft

architectural draftsman
One of my buddies that has a major sweet tooth got into a fight and had to have his jaw wired shut. He was going through such bad candy withdrawal that he tried to melt a bag of gummy bears and slurp them through his mouth before they solidified again. He didn't take into account that the only way gummy bears can be liquid is if they are still hot. Yeah, he burned himself.

In the end, he resorted to dumping pixie stix on a place, wetting his finger, and using it to rub the flavored sugar into his cheeks.

Strmtrpr

Censored
Damn dude...

Hang in there and try to keep yourself entertained

VDubVirus

Euro-Elitist Moderator
I'm sincere when I say this.

lol.

kidding. but seriously, that was a decent dinner time story. went well with my pizza.

extracool123

Ready to race!
My friend had his jaw wired shut for 6 weeks. had his whole jaw reconstructed to fix his gnarly underbite. I remember he lived off a lot of smoothies. and also sometimes tried to shove food in his mouth. One time he tried to eat sushi and shoved it through his wires and then sneezed...funniest thing i have ever seen.

boostedGTIguy

Dub or Die!
Yeah pics won't happen, sorry way too embarressing lol. Honestly though the pain is whatevs because not only do ihave a rather high tolerance for pain but I have some EXTREMELY strong liquid loretab haha weeeeeee!

But yeah worst part is definately the eating situation. For starters I'm six feet tall and 165 which is fairly slender, I'm getting kinda worried about the possible weight loss. These protein shakes are full of everything my body needs apparently, just no substance and Im hungry again in like 5 minutes =( No dietician or nutritionist students here? Lol

extracool123

Ready to race!
yeah the picture of my friend right after his surgery is funny as hell. He looks like a frog or fat bastard from austin powers

EsotericRR

Ready to race!
I had my jaw wired shut for 6.5 weeks and it sucked hard. I'd say the first 3 weeks were the worst, but the whole ordeal sucked ass. Mine was a result of surgery, nothing cool like a k grind though =). I had a splint in my mouth to so on top of being wired I couldn't even talk for 6.5 weeks! Both of my jaws were surgically broke, as well as part of my nose, and my chin was also broke and moved all for the tune of about $51 grand.

A blender is great and you can put almost anything in it, but just use a strainer afterwords to get the particles and chunks out. You'll have to get a pretty fine one to get everything strained. Protein shakes are good, try milk shakes and add peanut butter. If you really want calories search the web for cancer patient high calorie diets. You'll inevitably lose weight, but you can minimize it. Over the 6.5 weeks I only lost 10 lbs. Gaining it back is taking some time though.

Don't drink for a while, it inhibits bone growth which you don't want. It will take all of the 6 weeks or more for your bone to heal. It should be as strong as it's going to get at about 8 if you're healing well with full healing (if you had tissue damage) coming after a year.