Springs on Stock shocks, Good Idea???

Temper

Touch my monkey..

alf

Modwhoreator
Car(s)
2006 TR GTI
feuerdog said:
Do it once, and do it right the first time. Stiffer and lower springs with stiffer and lower dampers for teh win.
werd. i will follow these words next time im on stock shocks and i just dont feel good aobut it.

coils have officially become next on the list.

klamyfeat

Drag Race Newbie
HotLanta MKfizzle said:
I've read alot of good info on this site about balancing performance and looks when it comes to suspension. However no one has a clear ansewer as to whether or not, just putting springs on the stock MkV shocks is a good idea. And if it's ok, which ones are the best suited for the job? Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Best Option - Coilover's (good looks, good performance,adjustable, but expensive)

2nd Best - Spring and Shock Kit (cheaper, no adjustablity, increase performance/looks, but still pricey)

Worst - Springs w/ stock shocks (all looks, performance decrease, will shorten life span of shocks)

let me know if I got this right?:iono:

Well, I went with H&R sport springs on stock shocks and I like them. The ride is very similar to stock in terms of comfort but the handling has improved (less body roll, back-to-front rocking during acceleration is noticeably diminished). I CANNOT say that the handling has improved signifcantly because the stock car was pretty stiff/good already but at least the fugly wheel gap is gone. If you want a more dramatic change, go with coil-overs but from my perspective, I'm still not sure installing coil-overs would give me the handling I would really want because the GTI is a heavy car. (I love the handling of the Mini Cooper S).

If my stock shocks fail, they fail, and I can then get something even stiffer (Bilsteins or Konis) or then get coil-overs if I want even better handling. The springs will last forever so you can also sell them if you change up.

vDubr

myfastismycopilot
Car(s)
2008 Audi TT
Du Hast said:
what about tein? that's quality right? and arnt there spec set for/to work with your stock shocks?

I had Tein H-Techs on my last car and, believe it or not, the ride quality improved! I had them on for about 2 years before trading it in and my shocks were still 100%.

feuerdog

Touring Car Newbie
I would have gone with Tein coilovers if they were available at the time.

Rates can also be fixed or progressive, the feel can vary, and be softer and firmer at the same time, but this has alot to do with damper valving and the rate progression.

Flying_Finn

Drag Race Newbie
What are you folks paying for your Eibachs? What about the install, if you let VW do it, how much did they charge you for it?

The Eibach sport suspension kit on http://drivergear.vw.com with a price tag of $238,43 does that contain four springs? Or two?

I know, simple questions.. but hasnt anyone heard the saying its better to ask the dumb question than no question at all? :biggrin:

-Finn

coolme187

Touring Car Champion
feuerdog said:
I would have gone with Tein coilovers if they were available at the time.

Rates can also be fixed or progressive, the feel can vary, and be softer and firmer at the same time, but this has alot to do with damper valving and the rate progression.

tien has applications for our cars?